Re: Favorite Movie

StL Dan wrote:
CaptSMRT wrote:The Shining has been on IFC a bunch and I have watched it a couple of times lately. I am having trouble seeing why people hate this movie so much, the acting is great, the story is twisted, and it has Scatman "Autobot Jazz" Crothers.
The original or the "re-make" starring that dude from the sitcom "Wings"? Probably the former, since you referenced Crothers.

Joel from Wings at the Inverness Hotel would be a pretty good movie.

T.C. wrote:who hates the shining?
A lot of people do not like the movie...generally they say because it is different than the book. When ever I hear someone talk about how the book was better than the movie I want to punch them in the face....no shit the book was better....its a book.

CaptSMRT wrote:Superman Three is the greatest comic book movie of all time and should have won , it has everything, genius homeless man, Gus Gorman, who invents artificial Kryptonite, and an AI smart enough to defeat Superman, evil Superman, Superman banging out some cheap slut, Superman creeping up Lana Lang and letting a trucker die, Superman eating dog food, evil rich people, coked up Richard Pryor skiing off a building. With the exception of some bad ass special effects, most modern comic book movies are weak piles of emo shit driven by mopey plots about how hard it is to be bad ass. Superman three struts around with its dick out daring people not to like it. The Plot about a mad billionaire trying to use computers to control the worlds commodities is incredibly insightful into the world we live in today. I think the reason why this movie got bad reviews is in 1983 movie critics were all old people who thought everything needed to be Citizen Kane, and didn't really understand the modern world.
it's actually a horror movie:

The movie way okay. No great shakes. But, it's nostalgic for me because I've skied near the top of Mount Hood, and I've skied by that hotel many times (over the years). I'm really too old now to climb peaks on skies, and ski down with my heels detached, and 75 lbs on my back, ....so it's nostalgic. :D

Robb_K wrote:
The movie was okay. No great shakes. But, it's nostalgic for me because I've skied near the top of Mount Hood, and I've skied by that hotel many times (over the years). I'm really too old now to climb peaks on skies, and ski down with my heels detached, and 75 lbs on my back, ....so it's nostalgic. :D

JMC-STL wrote:"And co-starring CaptSMRT as ... Kuato ..."

[youtube][/youtube]

Where do you draw the line on self realization, if it were possible to implant a personality in someones mind, how would they know it wasn't real? A lot of your identity has been programmed by parents, teachers, media...how do you validate what is original and what is suggested within your own personality?

CaptSMRT wrote:Where do you draw the line on self realization, if it were possible to implant a personality in someones mind, how would they know it wasn't real? A lot of your identity has been programmed by parents, teachers, media...how do you validate what is original and what is suggested within your own personality?
I dunno about all that, but if I had a humanoid growing outta my torso, I'd have to seriously rethink my whole concept of "self." Or at least rethink my choice of movie roles.

JMC-STL wrote:
CaptSMRT wrote:Where do you draw the line on self realization, if it were possible to implant a personality in someones mind, how would they know it wasn't real? A lot of your identity has been programmed by parents, teachers, media...how do you validate what is original and what is suggested within your own personality?
I dunno about all that, but if I had a humanoid growing outta my torso, I'd have to seriously rethink my whole concept of "self." Or at least rethink my choice of movie roles.
Does the actor's union make sure you get paid double for that gig?

Turk Sanderson wrote:Does the actor's union make sure you get paid double for that gig?
I think that only applies when the two are unmistakably separate entities. Like "Master" and "Blaster" in "Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome" ... speaking of favorite movies ...

JMC-STL wrote:
Turk Sanderson wrote:Does the actor's union make sure you get paid double for that gig?
I think that only applies when the two are unmistakably separate entities. Like "Master" and "Blaster" in "Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome" ... speaking of favorite movies ...
masterblaster[1].jpg
Separated from the source of his identity Blaster was easily defeated by a whistle and Tina Turner.

CaptSMRT wrote:
JMC-STL wrote:
masterblaster[1].jpg
Separated from the source of his identity Blaster was easily defeated by a whistle and Tina Turner.
Ike Turner was defeated by cocaine and Tina Turner.

Turk Sanderson wrote:
CaptSMRT wrote:
JMC-STL wrote: I think that only applies when the two are unmistakably separate entities. Like "Master" and "Blaster" in "Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome" ... speaking of favorite movies ...
masterblaster[1].jpg
Ike Turner was defeated by cocaine and Tina Turner.
Ike Turner self medicated because he had a poorly developed Id!!!