Re: The door for Fabbri has opened

ratonmono wrote:Without Bergy things still look OK to me.

Steen Lehtera Tarasenko
Schwartz Stastny Jaskin/Fabbri/Paajarvi/Rattie
Fabbri/Jaskin Backes Brouwer
Ott Brodziak Reaves

Still sucks that Berglund is out.

Ummm, that's going to be a bunch of Too Many Men on the Ice penalties.

Fred Garvin wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't really see this as much of a loss? I mean, maybe other than Steve Ott...Berglund was probably the least impactful injury that could occur and if it means Fabbri makes the team...well, that's good news.
I'm with you. Because, when the rubber meets the road, Bergie just wasn't producing the offensive numbers needed from a first rounder and didn't really play a huge intangible role of any sort. I hate that that was the reality, but he just hasn't developed into what we had all hoped for.

holdem wrote:
ratonmono wrote:Without Bergy things still look OK to me.

Steen Lehtera Tarasenko
Schwartz Stastny Jaskin/Fabbri/Paajarvi/Rattie
Fabbri/Jaskin Backes Brouwer
Ott Brodziak Reaves

Still sucks that Berglund is out.

Ummm, that's going to be a bunch of Too Many Men on the Ice penalties.
Or is it a reckless strategy that no one will see coming? :)

insideout wrote:Seems like Hitch utilized Berglund in a defensive role.... Would he trust Fabbri? I believe the Backes at RW experiment just ended.
And THIS is my worry, Backes on the 3rd line. I agree that David is our best defensive center, but he's also one of the most effective scoring line Power Forwards in the NHL, and I would rather see Backes skating next to Paul 19 minutes a game instead of seeing both of them on seperate lines for 16 minutes a game, with the latter probably equating to both David and Paul seeing reduced offensive numbers at the end of the season.

Defensive centers can be found in the NHL off season, and I'd argue we have two on the team right now in Brouwer (who did a fantastic job at fill-in duty last season with the Caps) and Brodziak. Both are big bodies who are decent on the dot, and more importantly, keep David in a scoring role.

IMO, this injury gives management at bit of a pass (first half of season) on playing kids above trading/signing for Vets, so I'm in the camp of keeping Fabbri and possibly even Barbashev (if the young Russian has a solid camp), as the ladder has some two-way skill. Invest in the future by giving these kids some quality time with the team, and give Paul a real shot at earning his $7 million (and 70+ points) by giving him line-mates that belong on a scoring line.

Hockey Pete wrote:
insideout wrote:Seems like Hitch utilized Berglund in a defensive role.... Would he trust Fabbri? I believe the Backes at RW experiment just ended.
And THIS is my worry, Backes on the 3rd line. I agree that David is our best defensive center, but he's also one of the most effective scoring line Power Forwards in the NHL, and I would rather see Backes skating next to Paul 19 minutes a game instead of seeing both of them on seperate lines for 16 minutes a game, with the latter probably equating to both David and Paul seeing reduced offensive numbers at the end of the season.

Defensive centers can be found in the NHL off season, and I'd argue we have two on the team right now in Brouwer (who did a fantastic job at fill-in duty last season with the Caps) and Brodziak. Both are big bodies who are decent on the dot, and more importantly, keep David in a scoring role.

IMO, this injury gives management at bit of a pass (first half of season) on playing kids above trading/signing for Vets, so I'm in the camp of keeping Fabbri and possibly even Barbashev (if the young Russian has a solid camp), as the ladder has some two-way skill. Invest in the future by giving these kids some quality time with the team, and give Paul a real shot at earning his $7 million (and 70+ points) by giving him line-mates that belong on a scoring line.
I agree about wanting to see how Backes looks at RW on Stastny's line. The problem I have though is being able to put together a viable 3rd line with that option that includes Fabbri. The ONLY way I see it working is if Brouwer is moved to 3rd line C and Fabbri is capable of being able to play the two-way game needed from the 3rd line. Something like:

Steen-Lehtera-Tarasenko
Schwartz-Stastny-Backes
Jaskin-Brouwer-Fabbri
Ott-Brodziak-Reaves

IF that 3rd line doesn't work though, then the Blues likely have to put Backes at 3rd line C or I could see them trying Gomez at 3rd line C as well. Probably something like Jaskin-Gomez-Brouwer...but that leaves Fabbri outside looking in.

I suppose Fabbri could also be tried as the 3rd line C but I'll be honest and say that I doubt that would stick. Stranger things have happened though.

Camp will be interesting in how things shake out.