Re: Adidas lands NHL jersey deal

StL Dan wrote:Another step closer to soccer.

Stupid.

Whatever happened to CCM and Bauer, et al? Hockey classics.
CCM is owned by Adidas (like Reebok). Actually at the moment all Reebok hockey gear is going away and being rebranded to CCM. They're largely getting the Reebok brand out of specific team sports. Bauer is still the biggest hockey equipment brand by a substantial margin.

bluetuned wrote:

Stupid.

CCM is owned by Adidas (like Reebok). Actually at the moment all Reebok hockey gear is going away and being rebranded to CCM. They're largely getting the Reebok brand out of specific team sports. Bauer is still the biggest hockey equipment brand by a substantial margin.
You know, as I typed and hit the submit button, I was telling myself that "I'll be one or both of these companies are owned by Adidas". Boom. I knew it.

Let's go BAUER!

StL Dan wrote:
bluetuned wrote:

Stupid.

You know, as I typed and hit the submit button, I was telling myself that "I'll be one or both of these companies are owned by Adidas". Boom. I knew it.

Let's go BAUER!
Funny thing is Nike used to own Bauer. Nike sold them in 2008 because they didn't like the profit margins.

Also New Balance owns Warrior. I thought that was interesting as well.

CaptSMRT wrote:Why not have the players spin product signs on the bench between shifts?
You mean like the real estate hawkers on street corners? That'd require mandatory helmet shields for players AND coaches to keep them eye-safe. Though I'm sure MLB Advanced Media could then find a way to project adverts onto those shields during games. The revenue-generating possibilities are boundless.

CanadaCajanek21 wrote:
T.C. wrote:no. i will never buy another jersey. if it gets like the euros, i won't watch anymore, either.
Please tell me that advertisements on the jerseys would actually not make you stop watching a sport you love. Tell me you're just exaggerating.
not one bit. anything beyond all the on-ice and in-rink ads we have now is just greed talking, and i'll not contribute to that bullshit in any way. this is not nascar.

Fred Garvin wrote:
StL Dan wrote:Right now, there's not one thing uncool about hockey. At least, nothing I can't find reasons to defend. Ads on jerseys would be something I'd be ashamed of as a dan and something I couldn't defend.

The banner on the bottom of the TV during games?
During FSMW broadcasts? I can live with that.

T.C. wrote:
CanadaCajanek21 wrote:
T.C. wrote:no. i will never buy another jersey. if it gets like the euros, i won't watch anymore, either.
Please tell me that advertisements on the jerseys would actually not make you stop watching a sport you love. Tell me you're just exaggerating.
jokerit_gaolie.jpg
not one bit. anything beyond all the on-ice and in-rink ads we have now is just greed talking, and i'll not contribute to that bullshit in any way. this is not nascar.
Hallelujah.

As long as whore uniforms don't change the way the game is played, I'll begrudgingly continue to watch. But I will neither purchase nor wear ugly-ass billboard NHL apparel.

Teams have already been wearing whore jerseys for years anyway... with the stupid piping and "Reebok" patches. Are big ugly patches really any worse than subtly force-feeding us the Reebok brand as they have been?

T.C. wrote:
insideout wrote:Are big ugly patches really any worse than subtly force-feeding us the Reebok brand as they have been?
yes. see pic above.
I'm talking principle, not aesthetics. Obviously the billboard jerseys are hideous and much worse than almost anything we've seen in the past. That's not even open for debate as far as I'm concerned.

What I'm saying is that anyone upset about the NHL succumbing to commercialization and greed should realize that the league has already arrived there.

insideout wrote:As long as whore uniforms don't change the way the game is played, I'll begrudgingly continue to watch. But I will neither purchase nor wear ugly-ass billboard NHL apparel.

Teams have already been wearing whore jerseys for years anyway... with the stupid piping and "Reebok" patches. Are big ugly patches really any worse than subtly force-feeding us the Reebok brand as they have been?
There are people I work with that wear MLS jerseys. Those jerseys have weird corporate names on the abdominal/torso. The team logo is relegated to a small 3"-4" patch on the shoulder.

Just stupid.

Not that MLS logos are necessarily cool, but, I don't think the emphasis should be on Exxon or Bing or whatever should be bigger than say...our beloved BLUE NOTE (however, I wouldn't mind seeing the Blackhawks logo shrunk to nothing, haha).

For this reason, I can handle a 2" Nike or Reebok logo. That's it.

T.C. wrote:
CanadaCajanek21 wrote:
jokerit_gaolie.jpg
But whose greed is it?

The players asking for more money forcing owners/league to look into more ads/revenue?

Or is it the league/owners just doing this with their own agenda?
Now now, the Canadian Government has apologized for Bryan Adams on SEVERAL occasions!

the people who sign the checks run the show. if some clown wanted a $50MM/yr contract and no one signed him, he'd be gone or take less. the owners set salary caps just as much as the actual cap and NHLPA. ads on jerseys would have zero effect on salaries, only on income of the owners. either hockey is healthy (see: expansion talk) or it isn't (see: ads on jerseys talk). if it's healthy, ads on jerseys is pure greed by governors/owners. fuck them.

T.C. wrote:the people who sign the checks run the show. if some clown wanted a $50MM/yr contract and no one signed him, he'd be gone or take less. the owners set salary caps just as much as the actual cap and NHLPA. ads on jerseys would have zero effect on salaries, only on income of the owners. either hockey is healthy (see: expansion talk) or it isn't (see: ads on jerseys talk). if it's healthy, ads on jerseys is pure greed by governors/owners. fuck them.
Wouldn't money from ads on jerseys be considered hockey related revenue and therefore be included in the all mighty hockey related revenue that determines the salary cap? This is from the current CBA:

Hockey Related Revenues, Club Affiliated Entity and League Affiliated Entity.

(a) "Hockey Related Revenues." "Hockey Related Revenues" or "HRR" for each
League Year means the operating revenues, including Barter (as defined below), from all
sources, whether known or unknown, whether now in existence or created in the future
, as
expressly set forth in this Section 50.1(a), of each Club or the League, for or with respect to that
League Year, as expressly set forth in this Section 50.1(a), on an accrual basis, derived or earned
from, relating to or arising directly or indirectly out of the playing of NHL hockey games
or
NHL-related events in which current NHL Players participate or in which current NHL Players'
names and likenesses are used, by each such Club or the League, or attributable directly to the
Club or the League from a Club Affiliated Entity or League Affiliated Entity, as expressly set
forth herein, and is subject to any inclusions or exclusions as expressly set forth in the Article 50.

The parts in red seems to me (and I sure as hell am not any sort of lawyer) would have to mean that any income from placing ads on the uniforms would count towards the salary cap.

If someone is better at reading the legal mumbo jumbo that is this CBA please correct me if I'm wrong. For some reason I have a PDF of the CBA but it does seem to come in handy at times.
2018-2019 Stanley Cup Champion St. Louis Blues. And I was alive to see it happen!