Who did it best?

Which team do you think had overall the best off-season?

Buffalo Sabres
In: Ryan O’Reilly, Jack Eichel, David Legwand, Robin Lehner, Jamie McGinn. Coach: Dan Bylsma
Out: Mikhail Grigorenko, Cody Hodgson, Nikita Zadorov, Anders Lindback

San Jose
In: Joel Ward, Paul Martin, Martin Jones
Out: Antti Niemi, Matt Irwin, John Scott

Toronto
In: Nick Spaling, P.A. Parenteau, Daniel Winnik, Mark Arcobello, Matt Hunwick, Martin Marincin, Shawn Matthias. Coach: Mike Babcock
Out: Phil Kessel

Edmonton
In: Conner McDavid, Andrej Sekera

Pittsburgh
In: Phil Kessel
Out: Paul Martin

Calgary
In: Dougie Hamilton

Columbus
In: Brandon Saad

Detroit
In: Brad Richards, Mike Green

St Louis
In: Troy Brouwer, Kyle Brodziak
Out: TJ Oshie, Barrett Jackman

Washington
In: TJ Oshie
Out: Troy Brouwer, Mike Green

Re: Who did it best?

I think adding Kessel to Crosby and Malkin is pretty big.

I also like what the Blues did. A bit of addition by subtraction, but added some size. Ideally, they would have upped the speed of the team, but maybe they think some of the youth will add to that. Maybe another move on the horizon, but I wouldn't be surprised (or disappointed) if what we have now is what we go with.

Calgary no doubt. They added a potential #1 d-man for nothing off their current roster. Though as a Pens fan I am quite excited to see Kessel playing with Crosby. Penguins still lack depth big time but if the big 5 (Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, Letang, Fleury) perform and stay healthy they're my pick to come out of the East this year.

Buffalo has had a great offseason, they'd be my pick.

Washington also added Justin Williams. I like their offseason a lot because one of their biggest issues was having no legit top 6 RWs. With Oshie and Williams they've got 2.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

I REALLY like what san jose did. Regular season wise what they did was a wash, if not a slight upgrade. Playoffs, they'e gonna be TOUGH. Whichever team plays them will either lose or be so worn out they won't make it much further
Now now, the Canadian Government has apologized for Bryan Adams on SEVERAL occasions!

Edmonton and Buffalo are a given, considering the talent they added in McDavid and Eichel. Outside of those two players, I think Calgary had a solid offseason. Their D is STACKED going forward. They made a smart add with Frolik as well. The Flames only weakness at this point is in goal, and with a defense like theirs it can be accommodated. I'm not sure they're a legit threat just yet over the Hawks, Ducks, etc. But they're getting very close.

Honorable mentions to Washington and Pittsburgh. Washington needed an upgrade at RW and they got two. I don't know that Pittsburgh really solved any real problems by adding Kessel, as their depth is still awful, but he is going to be fun to watch with Crosby and Malkin.

I think Detroit, St. Louis, San Jose, and Toronto just moved pieces around the board. Toronto had a more exciting offseason behind the bench and in the front office than with their actual roster.

I think Columbus overpaid for Saad. He might be better for them next year, but I wouldn't be shocked if a couple years down the road he and Dano are comparable players.

Ozzies09tc wrote:I REALLY like what san jose did. Regular season wise what they did was a wash, if not a slight upgrade. Playoffs, they'e gonna be TOUGH. Whichever team plays them will either lose or be so worn out they won't make it much further
I thought the same thing about the Jets this year, but then they got swept and the Ducks made it to the Western Conference Finals.

As far as the OP, I'll take Buffalo.

I like what the Oilers did this offseason. Getting Talbot and Sekera should help keep the puck out of their net. Of course McDavid is a huge piece for them. Looking at their defense they are turning it around. They have young talent with Schultz and Reinhardt to go along with Nurse waiting in the wings.

Fred Garvin wrote:
JesusNEVERexisted wrote:I would hope the Blues aren't done yet or this upcoming season is already a BUST!
I love your optimistic outlook on everything.

What would you like to see them do?
He is a regular cup of Sunshine.

Honestly, I kinda like what Dallas did. Obviously they're banking on some development and growth out of a young defense, but man are they loaded offensively. They could already score and they got even better there. Maybe we can make it to a game 7 in the first round against them next year.