Re: Blue Jackets calling on Shattenkirk

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:Hartnell or Dubinsky plus 1 or 2 picks.
If they trade Shattenkirk and Hartnell is one of the main pieces back, I'm done. Dubinsky I like a lot. I even like Hartnell......but you don't trade a guy like Shattenkirk and get a 33-yr old guy back. The Blues should start by asking for two of these three........Jenner, Milano, and Rychel, and see where it goes.

I'm not trading him, however with the fact that it looks like he's going to be the odd man out eventually especially if Parayko shows he's ready, any return package starts with Sonny Milano and a #1 pick. No Milano and it's no deal for me at all. At this point, I'd rather just deal him to restock some of cupboard at forward instead of taking on more salary.
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

The frustrating part is this, is that damn J-Bo contract is the one that's going to probably cost the Blues Shattenkirk.

If you are trading him because you can't afford him after decided to pay Jay Bo you better get a damn good return for him or you need to trade Jay-Bo for absolutely nothing and take on half his salary if possible if it means keeping Shatt

I am really not interested in trading Shattenkirk this year. I understand it might be necessary due to the cap, but I don't do it until next season. If they do end up moving him at some point, it HAS to be for a young center with potential to be an elite guy.

Nothing really excites me on the Blue Jackets roster, either. That being said, I am not too familiar with them.
NHLTIM wrote:I'm not trading him, however with the fact that it looks like he's going to be the odd man out eventually especially if Parayko shows he's ready, any return package starts with Sonny Milano and a #1 pick. No Milano and it's no deal for me at all. At this point, I'd rather just deal him to restock some of cupboard at forward instead of taking on more salary.
Is Milano slated to play center in the NHL? I am seeing him mostly listed on wing. I think we really need a center if we were to move Shattenkirk.

What about Wennberg?

I mentioned quite a while back before Columbus ever even actually became a rumor that maybe the Blues look to them as trade partners. The name I mentioned then was Johansen, who's already becoming elite but may not have the best relationship with management there. It would take more then Shatty of course, but how out there is it really? He's their number one center, but wouldn't Shatty then be their one or two defensemen for the foreseeable future? We already are hearing rumors of potentially moving backes as well, and that would then send a second/first line center/winger who can score 20 goals and be a physical presence along with a potential Norris canidate defensemen in exchange for a first line center. And these two players are already loved by Jarmo and JD to boot. Is that really THAT unrealistic? Just spitballin..

Oates2Hullie450 wrote:I mentioned quite a while back before Columbus ever even actually became a rumor that maybe the Blues look to them as trade partners. The name I mentioned then was Johansen, who's already becoming elite but may not have the best relationship with management there. It would take more then Shatty of course, but how out there is it really? He's their number one center, but wouldn't Shatty then be their one or two defensemen for the foreseeable future? We already are hearing rumors of potentially moving backes as well, and that would then send a second/first line center/winger who can score 20 goals and be a physical presence along with a potential Norris canidate defensemen in exchange for a first line center. And these two players are already loved by Jarmo and JD to boot. Is that really THAT unrealistic? Just spitballin..
Backes/shat for johansen and a 1st

Think we could squeeze a 1st from them?
Now now, the Canadian Government has apologized for Bryan Adams on SEVERAL occasions!

Ozzies09tc wrote:
Oates2Hullie450 wrote:I mentioned quite a while back before Columbus ever even actually became a rumor that maybe the Blues look to them as trade partners. The name I mentioned then was Johansen, who's already becoming elite but may not have the best relationship with management there. It would take more then Shatty of course, but how out there is it really? He's their number one center, but wouldn't Shatty then be their one or two defensemen for the foreseeable future? We already are hearing rumors of potentially moving backes as well, and that would then send a second/first line center/winger who can score 20 goals and be a physical presence along with a potential Norris canidate defensemen in exchange for a first line center. And these two players are already loved by Jarmo and JD to boot. Is that really THAT unrealistic? Just spitballin..

Doubtful. We'd need to take more salary back in the deal, and the only way we'd get a "+" from them is if the player coming back was Clarkson and his albatross of a contract. More likely, it would need to be one of Johnson or Tyutin in which case we would be adding to the deal.

Maybe Backes + Shatty + Rattie + our 1st for Johansen + Johnson. I still don't think they make that deal because I'm not sure Wennberg or Jenner are ever going to be legitimate #1C options like Johansen.

MissouriMook wrote:
Ozzies09tc wrote:

Doubtful. We'd need to take more salary back in the deal, and the only way we'd get a "+" from them is if the player coming back was Clarkson and his albatross of a contract. More likely, it would need to be one of Johnson or Tyutin in which case we would be adding to the deal.

Maybe Backes + Shatty + Rattie + our 1st for Johansen + Johnson. I still don't think they make that deal because I'm not sure Wennberg or Jenner are ever going to be legitimate #1C options like Johansen.
I think CBJ would be crazy to trade Johansen right now. He's primed to put up some big numbers.

Hockey Pete wrote:
Ozzies09tc wrote:
Doug Glatt wrote:
I think CBJ would be crazy to trade Johansen right now. He's primed to put up some big numbers.
I feel the same about shatty
I also feel that regarding Shatty, and I agree that there is NO WAY that the Jackets trade Johansen for any reason.

Buuuuuttttttt.........this is exactly why I would be OK with the Blues listening to offers for Shatty this summer (and I'm on record as being totally against trading him). Maybe a team out there, whether it be Columbus or someone else, shocks you by making someone available that you would never imagine. You aren't going to hear about a guy like Johansen (or whoever the "shocking" player might be) being available if all you are shopping are Oshie or Berglund.

So I agree that the BJ's aren't trading him, but it never hurts to listen to offers from other teams.

Matangama wrote:Buuuuuttttttt.........this is exactly why I would be OK with the Blues listening to offers for Shatty this summer (and I'm on record as being totally against trading him). Maybe a team out there, whether it be Columbus or someone else, shocks you by making someone available that you would never imagine. You aren't going to hear about a guy like Johansen (or whoever the "shocking" player might be) being available if all you are shopping are Oshie or Berglund.

So I agree that the BJ's aren't trading him, but it never hurts to listen to offers from other teams.
Brother, I can't disagree with your logic, as without it we would have never got Hull.

Hockey Pete wrote:
Matangama wrote:Buuuuuttttttt.........this is exactly why I would be OK with the Blues listening to offers for Shatty this summer (and I'm on record as being totally against trading him). Maybe a team out there, whether it be Columbus or someone else, shocks you by making someone available that you would never imagine. You aren't going to hear about a guy like Johansen (or whoever the "shocking" player might be) being available if all you are shopping are Oshie or Berglund.

Brother, I can't disagree with your logic, as without it we would have never got Hull.
Or Pronger and a few others for that matter. Nobody ever sees the blockbuster trades happening in advance, but they do happen every once in a blue moon.

blueslifer wrote:
Hockey Pete wrote:

Or Pronger and a few others for that matter. Nobody ever sees the blockbuster trades happening in advance, but they do happen every once in a blue moon.
Shattenkirk is a great offensive d-man, but I think most see him as a second pairing defenseman. A second pairing d-man doesn't get you Johansen.

That said I agree with you that listening never hurts.

Doug Glatt wrote:

Shattenkirk is a great offensive d-man, but I think most see him as a second pairing defenseman. A second pairing d-man doesn't get you Johansen.

He is definitely a second pair defensemen, on this team. That being said, his defense improved greatly last season and I question how much of a chance he has gotten, or how much the Blues care about his defense.

His role on the team is to provide offense from the point. I guarantee you he has been working on his defense, but it is similar to a 4th line defensive forward practicing offense. Sure he is a forward and puts time into his offense, but his role and likely much of his effort goes towards perfecting his role of defense.

If we can get a full, healthy season of Shattenkirk I think he is really going to shock some people on both sides of the game.

wizard pork sword wrote:I don't think it's fair to call Shattenkirk a 2nd pairing defensemen. People forget that before his injury, he was on his way to winning the Norris Trophy or at least finishing in the top 3.
I agree but as another member said, he's a 2nd pairing on this team. Most other teams he'd most likely be a 1st
Now now, the Canadian Government has apologized for Bryan Adams on SEVERAL occasions!

Doug Glatt wrote:
blueslifer wrote:
Hockey Pete wrote:

What would make trading Shattenkirk a blockbuster deal would hinge on him fitting into the other team's top pair IMO. So it would have to be a perfect fit in order to get a great return.

Ozzies09tc wrote:
Doug Glatt wrote:
I feel the same about shatty
The Blues playoff scoring was awful. They couldn't get a big goal when they needed it. Everyone should take Johansen for Shatty all day. Johansen along with Tank could've tied and then beaten the Wild in that do or die game 6.

Doug Glatt wrote:Shattenkirk is a great offensive d-man, but I think most see him as a second pairing defenseman. A second pairing d-man doesn't get you Johansen.

I think Kevin changed the narrative on his game last season, as IMO most in the NHL consider him an elite offensive defenseman, with above average defensive skills. Honestly, his game is starting to look a lot like MacInnis's game, and I don't know what was said to him before last season, but he came into it in great shape and a focus he's never had.

Gentlemen, bottom line (and I've heard this said many times in USA hockey chats), when teams plan against the Blues, they're more concerned about Shattenkirk than any other defender, including Petro. Not saying that Alex isn't an outstanding defender, but IMO he is no longer the consensus #1 on this team.

I don't have a problem trading a star for a star, but if Kevin continues at this level, we're trading a top 5 (or so) defender in the NHL.