Conspicuous in it's absense

DA has been on record talking about getting specific upcoming Free Agents re-signed. Lehtera being one who he did re-sign already, the other being Schwartz. Is there a quote or audio or anything about Army mentioning the importance of getting Backes re-signed? He's a pending FA next year and I've yet to hear a peep about them starting any sort of negotiations.

Makes me wonder if the Blues have already decided what they want to do with him and would be okay with letting this year play out and having him test the market. You would think if they wanted to keep him that would be at least negotiating and feeling each other out but it doesn't seem like that's going on at all.

Unless I missed him saying something about it....

Re: Conspicuous in it's absense

He made a comment a couple of weeks ago, saying they would talk to him about an extension. I'd be disappointed if they haven't done so before now. They need to know (roughly) how much he wants on a new deal. They can't let a guy like that walk away for nothing. If he wants too much and they don't want to re-sign him, they need to find a trade that makes sense. But for this team to be successful, you can't let him leave for nothing.

In an interview a couple of weeks ago, someone asked Army about extending Backes....and he said that they would talk to Backes over the summer, and see where he's at, and then we'll go from there. Maybe it's just GM speak, but his tone of voice wasn't the same as it was when he talked about getting Tarasenko locked-up.

I've just got a sinking feeling that he's going to want $7M+, at least five years, or both. I won't be shocked if he is moved in the next eight weeks, and if he is not extended in that time frame he should be. You can't trade your captain at the TDL and expect your team to be better or even the same. The MSL-Callahan deal from two seasons ago is the exception not the rule. If Backes walks as a UFA it should cost Army his job. Period.

I disagree. To me, letting a player like Backes walk for nothing would be even worse asset management that the Perron and Oshie trades. Imagine if you start the season with him in the lineup and no new deal and he blows out his knee in the home opener and is lost for the season. You would have essentially traded him away for zero return -AND- not had his services for the season. If he is bent on testing free agency or is asking for too much in term or dollars, I think we need to move him before training camp.

It's a 'have your cake and eat it, too' scenario. If he has a poor season, or is injured, he's MUCH less likely to get any high offers next Summer, especially at 32 years old, but then, he's not helping us much now either. If he has a great season, he's helping the team more NOW, but more likely to get more money/term offered to him next Summer. The better he plays now, the more likely we are to 'lose him for nothing' next Summer. The worse he plays, the easier he will be to keep around, but then, will we really want him?

You can't just trade every player who isn't under contract past the next season or two on the basis that you MIGHT lose them for nothing and they MIGHT not be critical to winning you the cup this season. There's always a risk one way or another. Good teams manage those risks based on their near- and far-term plans.

A 55-60 point, physical, potential Selke candidate who can play a shut down center role or perhaps RW on any of the top three lines isn't exactly easy to come by, much less one who's younger and cheaper.

I'm all for moving the Captain this season unless he's OK with signing a similar deal that Steen signed (3 years at something like 5 per). Backes can't be a 7.5 million dollar per year guy here for what will be his declining years as a player while we still have to give raises to Schwartz, Lehtera, and eventually Shattenkirk. Hopefully Armstrong sees this too and we get a decent haul for Backes during the season.

RAFritchey wrote: You can't just trade every player who isn't under contract past the next season or two on the basis that you MIGHT lose them for nothing and they MIGHT not be critical to winning you the cup this season. There's always a risk one way or another. Good teams manage those risks based on their near- and far-term plans.
I guess that depends on how you define MIGHT. If he's giving a strong indication that he wants to test the market, or if his representation is pretty adamant in July that it will take $7M or 5 years to lock him up next summer, I think you have to move him while you can still get something for him. If he or his agent are suggesting that his first choice is to stay and that he wants to find a way to reach a deal that doesn't keep the team from being able to lock up Schwartz and Shattenkirk long term as well, and is willing to sign for 3-4 years at a number around what Steen is making, then you continue to negotiate.

Losing one year of Backes (if he is pretty much gone after this year anyway) but gaining and keeping whatever assets he brings back is better, in my mind, than keeping that year of Backes and then having nothing to show for it. I don't know of anyone who honestly believes that the current roster is suddenly a legitimate Cup threat after what we've seen out of it the last few years. I'd much rather take a step or two back this season if it means building a better future than to roll the dice on one more year of Backes and hope that we get lucky.