Stastny...a 2nd look

I just got done watching the Gamecenter archives of the first three games of last season and was absolutely astounded at how great Stastny looked. It didn't even look like the same player we saw in the 2nd half of the year.

I know most of the injury related attention has been directed at Bouwmeester, but I can't help but wonder if Stastny was playing at no more than 60-70% the entire year after returning from his injury in the 4th game of the season. If we can see the Stastny from the first three games of last season for the majority of next season I feel we absolutely have a #1C.

Re: Stastny...a 2nd look

MissouriMook wrote:I just got done watching the Gamecenter archives of the first three games of last season and was absolutely astounded at how great Stastny looked. It didn't even look like the same player we saw in the 2nd half of the year.

I know most of the injury related attention has been directed at Bouwmeester, but I can't help but wonder if Stastny was playing at no more than 60-70% the entire year after returning from his injury in the 4th game of the season. If we can see the Stastny from the first three games of last season for the majority of next season I feel we absolutely have a #1C.
I just hope that whatever it was, that they have gotten it taken care of, and not be like the baseball pitcher who waits for the season to start, and then goes on the IR with something that should have been fixed in the off-season. We seem to have longer off-seasons than a lot of teams anyway :x

Matangama wrote:I agree, Mook, he was awesome early. Then when he came back, it seems like Hitch didn't know how to use him anymore. I'm anxious to see him this season.
It was way more than usage. The first three games he looked dynamic and assertive and his vision was off the charts. When he returned, he was timid and seemed like he was always looking over his shoulder to avoid a hit rather than looking for the play no one else could see.

I wholeheartedly agree, really pissed me off the way the Coyotes made it their mission to take him out in that game and no one (that I recall) stepped up to deal out some punishment to the Coyotes.

Stastney looked like the guy we wanted before he hurt his shoulder, it can't be too easy to play NHL hockey with a fucked up shoulder.

You know i honest believe the problems in that locker room were pretty deep. I dont think there were too many people that could communicate between the two cores. I think shatty is one and thought jackman was the other. Statsny i think last year had the first telling comments really about that locker room if you dont count the practice fight fiasco with backes tarasenko and oshies comments. He was the new guy and saw it. Thats when i first thought maybe there really is more to it.

Forget about everything you hear about the locker room and practice and focus solely on what you see on the ice during actual games. The eye test shows that theu play like a talented team that is mentally weak. Statstny was swallowed up by that mentality and fell into place accordingly.

barnburner wrote:I tend to agree. As in the case of Jaybo. I tend to look at last season as the exception, probably injury related. Both have been too good, for too long, to think they lost it overnight.
I fully expect both to revert to form this season.
+1

J-Bo and Stasnasty were sporting lingering injuries for most of the season, imo.

J-Bo had a groin issue.

Stasnasty had that shoulder injury early in the year.

Paul started out very well, and I was really excited to see him. Then that injury happened, and he never got back to that level.

It wouldn't surprise me if both bounced back in a big way this season.

I truly hope that we see a better Stastny this season. I think that shoulder injury really set him back - not just the injury itself but the fact that it took him out of the lineup as the team was solidifying lines, the culmination of which resulted in Stastny playing on the 3rd line 5 on 5 most of the rest of the season.

My real fear is if Lehtera can still be a good player without Tarasenko flanking him. I would assume that Lethera-Tarasenko will be kept together but it sure would be nice if Lehtera was capable of playing well with others as that would allow Hitch greater flexibility.

STL fan in IA wrote:I truly hope that we see a better Stastny this season. I think that shoulder injury really set him back - not just the injury itself but the fact that it took him out of the lineup as the team was solidifying lines, the culmination of which resulted in Stastny playing on the 3rd line 5 on 5 most of the rest of the season.

My real fear is if Lehtera can still be a good player without Tarasenko flanking him. I would assume that Lethera-Tarasenko will be kept together but it sure would be nice if Lehtera was capable of playing well with others as that would allow Hitch greater flexibility.
I question that as well. Hopefully having a year under his belt and working with other teammates will improve his overall play and chemistry.

I'm cautiously optimistic with Lehtera.

Oakland Avenue wrote:I wholeheartedly agree, really pissed me off the way the Coyotes made it their mission to take him out in that game and no one (that I recall) stepped up to deal out some punishment to the Coyotes.

Stastney looked like the guy we wanted before he hurt his shoulder, it can't be too easy to play NHL hockey with a fucked up shoulder.
That has been a long time issue with the Blues and one that I hope comes to an end with the recent moves. Hopefully the additions are more assertive in that regard. I just remember Thornton's hit on Perron and Jackman (our veteran team leader at the time) doing absolutely nothing in that game or subsequent games.

MissouriMook wrote:I just got done watching the Gamecenter archives of the first three games of last season and was absolutely astounded at how great Stastny looked. It didn't even look like the same player we saw in the 2nd half of the year.

Mook I totally agree man, this is something I noticed last season. I was super pumped when the Blues signed Stastny and the first few games of the season confirmed my excitement for him b/c he looked awesome. Then the injury happened and he just never quite looked the same when he came back.

I expect Stastny and Lehtera to be much improved for this upcoming season, Jbo as well.

Great posts, ALL.

At the time we signed Paul, he was coming of an all-time SC series performance against the Wild.

Then he got injured and was possibly mishandled- I know they are pros, but until he got hurt, he was our Highest Paid and arguably BEST forward. Who knew Lehtera would be so good...at least until the long NA Season got to him.

STL fan in IA wrote:I truly hope that we see a better Stastny this season. I think that shoulder injury really set him back - not just the injury itself but the fact that it took him out of the lineup as the team was solidifying lines, the culmination of which resulted in Stastny playing on the 3rd line 5 on 5 most of the rest of the season.

And this is why I'm hoping they move Backes to RW. It was stated before last season that they would take a hard look at moving David to Paul's wing, but the complete lack of an effective 3rd line plagued this team, and Paul was seen as an alternative when he came back from injury (and honestly, he was scoring with rookie Jaskin at the start). Honestly, a Schwartz-Stastny-Backes line would be a fantastic scoring line, and moving Steen to Lehtera's wing opposite of Tarasenko would be equally impressive.

A friend of mine thinks that Fabbri is a lock for that 3rd line center slot, as the Blues have solid (and big) wingers on either side of him (currently Berglund, Brouwer and Jaskin). That 3rd line will be interesting.

I want a second look with Stastny, Lehtera, Jaskin, Gunnarson, JBo due to a combination of injuries as well as skill level. Hitch made a comment that for skill players it's not really fair to assess their production in first full season in a new system. Stastny and Jbo have gotten a free pass because of injury but for some reason Gunnar has not been given that same courtesy. We will see.