Prospect Camp

Looking forward to watching some future Blues. Offensive defensemen by the handful. Schmaltz, Parayko, Vannelli, Dunn, Walman & Sergeev. Also want to see Fabbri and Barbashev. Hope some other catch my eye.

Re: Prospect Camp

A business trip brings me to town Wednesday and you better believe I scheduled everything to allow me to catch some of the camp that afternoon. Should be fun to see how these guys stack up against one another.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Hey, Dave, your post just gave me an idea - for people that are going to watch, if you're are up for it, please post in this thread when you're going. Might be good to say hi to a few of you (only a few......certainly not some of you chuckleheads). I was going to post the same idea over in Blues Talk, but a lot of those people actually scare me.

Matangama wrote:Hey, Dave, your post just gave me an idea - for people that are going to watch, if you're are up for it, please post in this thread when you're going. Might be good to say hi to a few of you (only a few......certainly not some of you chuckleheads). I was going to post the same idea over in Blues Talk, but a lot of those people actually scare me.
I'll certainly try to post a few thoughts from my perspective. I'm far from a scout but the more info on these guys the better.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

foofighter wrote:I'm going today (Tuesday). I'll be with Pilgrim after we shake down McDonalds.

I'll be wearing a Beach special Riv's jersey.

It would be great to meet you guys.
I'll be there, too, with my 13 year-old on an extended lunch break. Not sure what he'll be wearing but I'll be in a black shirt and khaki pants. I'm 6'8" so I'm pretty hard to miss. If you see me say Hi.

I just wanted to give you guys a thanks in advance for posting what you see at the prospects camp. I mostly lurk here (and the asylum) so you probably didn't even know I exist, but I wanted to let you know that I appreciate all of your insight.

plagers4ever wrote:
Matangama wrote:
wizard pork sword wrote:Cool video of cameras following Fabbri during day one.

http://video.blues.nhl.com/videocenter/ ... L|STL|home
The kid is smart.......he is already buddying up with our new monster, Parayko! Fabbri lining up his body guard for the next decade!
Hilarious! That was EXACTLY my first thought too when I watched the video.
So did I. I also want to point out that Fabbri is a left shot so everybody penciling him in as RW might want to re-think that.

blueslifer wrote:So did I. I also want to point out that Fabbri is a left shot so everybody penciling him in as RW might want to re-think that.
He's played both wings in the past. I'm pretty sure he played RW for Canada in the WJC too. That said, I prefer him on the left side as well...but he's certainly capable of playing the right side.

All of Fabbri, Bergy and Jaskin can play both sides so there's some flexibility there.

Only a couple of things to add from camp today. I missed the last half of the scrimmage and the second practice session.

On Parayko, my expectations were high and he exceeded them in a couple of areas. He has an extremely good on ice presence and really seemed to be running the show on the ice during the scrimmage. His shot is just incredible, too. Only saw a couple of slappers but his wrist shot was very impressive, more like a forward than a defenseman. The only thing that I found that was disappointing was his passing, especially in the drills.

One other prospect that stood out (besides the ones we expected to) was Mikkola. He's a big lefty kid on the blue line, but he plays much more like a forward. If he can defend (which I didn't really see much of during the scrimmage) he could develop into a left-handed Parayko.

insideout wrote:Can someone enlighten me as to which of the Blues defensive prospects (in addition to Lindbohm) is closest to NHL-ready? Might we see any of them in 15/16?
Just a guess but I'd say that Edmundson is the closest. I'd be surprised if we don't see him up in STL for at least 20ish games this year. I still think Gunnarsson is not going to finish the season with us. After Edmundson it appears to be Parayko. Everybody else is at least a year away from serious NHL time.

Parayko is a matter of when not if. Just a talented giant.

Mikkola with a reverse shoulder check. Exciting prospect. Can skate, good size.

Dunn fantastic skater, looks about 5'10"". Was overpowered along the boards.

Fabbri so skilled, fast and quick.

Barbashev good skill and hockey IQ.2 nd best forward after Fabbri.

foofighter wrote:Sorry I missed you Mook. I just read your post now.
Were you sitting outside on a bench a little after 3:00? My son said he saw you (well, a guy in a Beach Rivs jersey) earlier inside while I was dealing with something from work. You might have seen him, too - he was the kid with the bright blue Mohawk wig. He said he thought the same guy was sitting outside as we were getting in the car. I had to leave early to take him to a doctor's appointment. Sorry I missed you, too.

Hello everyone. First time poster, long time lurker. I posted on BT as Drewcifer briefly.

I'll be there today with my 6 year old daughter and probably sporting my Nordiques cap. I'm not sure what to expect today as I've never attended one before and I'll be at the mercy of my daughter's patience. ;)

Hope to meet some of you.

Andy
"suck a dick Stan Lee"

ratonmono wrote:
insideout wrote:Can someone enlighten me as to which of the Blues defensive prospects (in addition to Lindbohm) is closest to NHL-ready? Might we see any of them in 15/16?
Just a guess but I'd say that Edmundson is the closest. I'd be surprised if we don't see him up in STL for at least 20ish games this year. I still think Gunnarsson is not going to finish the season with us. After Edmundson it appears to be Parayko. Everybody else is at least a year away from serious NHL time.
The problem Edmundson has is that he's a RD, and we're set with RD at the NHL level, and now he has Parayko pushing hard behind him. I agree with the 20+ games if there's an injury AND Colton is struggling at the AHL level, but if injuries on RD are a non-issue, it gives Colton more time to mature his game, and IMO Parayko's ceiling is higher than Joel's. If Colton reaches that ceiling, Joel won't see any ice with the Blues.

Joel's window was last season, but unfortunately he was injured for the entire first half. Since then, the Blues have fortified the bottom RD with Bort, and I just don't see Edmumdson unseating him in the near future.

Matangama wrote:
wizard pork sword wrote:Cool video of cameras following Fabbri during day one.

http://video.blues.nhl.com/videocenter/ ... L|STL|home
The kid is smart.......he is already buddying up with our new monster, Parayko! Fabbri lining up his body guard for the next decade!
LOL, he is a smart kid. Actually, someone told me that they became friends during their stint together last season in Chicago, which can only help. I found that helping my incoming freshmen develop friendships with established, well balanced teammates only solidified their college careers, as that support structure can sometimes be the only thing that keeps them focused and out of trouble.

Edmundson is a left handed shooting defenseman. His window is more than last season. He missed more than half of last season with a bad back. He's big, physical and is a darn good fighter. He may get a look this season if there are any injuries. He would greatly add to the team toughness.