Re: Patrik Berglund...

Unfathomable wrote:Honestly after seeing the market yesterday in the oshie deal.. We may be better off just keeping him at this point.
I disagree, if we can get a bergy thats cheaper, and a prospect and a pick like we did we oshie, we take it.

Im really coming around to the oshie deal
Now now, the Canadian Government has apologized for Bryan Adams on SEVERAL occasions!

My initial knee-jerk reaction after watching the Blues get bounced once again, was wanting a complete makeover without all this so-called veteran leadership, and go YFHC. Having time to think about it and reassess, I'm still there. I'd rather have a bunch of young, fast, hungry, and less expensive Blues than watch this same crap next year. In my mind, there was no excusing this years shit-show, and it's not on Army. He built a President's Cup contender, and those same players dropped a playoff turd...and that's on them, and Hitch. Well.....Hitch is still here, so now you have to change some moving parts, and that starts with those same guys that have been around long enough, but didn't grab the brass ring when it was theirs to grab.This year's team was the most talented, healthiest, and deepest I've ever seen here. If they are too old and unmotivated to show up for the playoffs , then just "keep on dealing Army". Hitch doesn't seem to know it, but he needs younger, faster players, and the only way to get him to go younger and faster, is to take away his older players.. If you keep these older core guys Hitch will ride them into the ground before the playoffs ever start...... And last but not least DUMP SHAW AND HIRE SCOTT STEVENS!

bluebloodkc wrote:Since there is really no place on the current roster for Rattie or Fabbri, Bergy is the one I would most expect to go to make room if/when the kids make the jump.
Agree that Bergy has some competition with both Jaskin and Fabbri, but Rattie biggest obstacle is the depth at RW. Adding Troy hurt his chances, and Jaskin had his breakout skating there (actually, Jaskins ability to skate both wing makes him invaluable), so IMO, Rattie has some long odds making this team in camp.

If they move Backes to RW, and considering Brouwer is a lock at RW, the rest of that 3rd line has Jaskin, Berglund, Rattie and Fabbri competing for two spots.

I understand most won't agree with me and the 100 foot view of his play may not help my argument, but....

I think Berglund has demonstrated the most continued growth of his game of any of the "boy band" era. He came in as a perimeter goal scoring center, was asked to find a net front presence, develop a more responsible two-way game and now move to a wing.

I believe for a year or two, you saw Berglund sacrifice an element of his offensive skill set in order to do that which his coach and GM asked him to do: focus on other elements of his game.

In that time, he's become one of the better defensive players on the offensive side. He's improved his puck control (to the ire of some fans) and he's actually become quite a bit better in front of the net.

He's stuck around so long despite the fans' cry for removal because he has adapted and improved in the areas that his coaches have asked.

I also remember when Pronger was still finding himself on this team how adamant everyone was about his lack of speed, slow, lethargic feet, etc. Finally, when Pronger settled in, those same characterizations became "he just looks slow and lumbering because of his size", "he actually covers a lot of ground", etc.

I think once he's allowed to settle into a line, position and role, we'll finally see the whole package with Berglund. And, as noted, he is one of the few on this team that seem to rise to the occasion. He's proven so in the NHL postseason and plenty of times on the larger international stage. The same cannot be said for Perron, Oshie, Pietrangelo, Backes, Allen, etc.

Mr. Westcliffe, I created an account here after reading the above post because I have to tell you that is the most complete, well thought out, and insightful analysis of Berglund that I've ever read.

We may cringe when he misses high and wide from the slot, but you have to appreciate his (to use a Hitch buzzword) 200-foot game.

It's refreshing to see something positive written about the guy. Thank you for the insightful commentary.

birdman wrote:Mr. Westcliffe, I created an account here after reading the above post because I have to tell you that is the most complete, well thought out, and insightful analysis of Berglund that I've ever read.

We may cringe when he misses high and wide from the slot, but you have to appreciate his (to use a Hitch buzzword) 200-foot game.

It's refreshing to see something positive written about the guy. Thank you for the insightful commentary.
Wow Patrick, your English has gotten much better.

I think Berglund is way underrated. When his line is on the ice, he usually owns the puck. If he can keep that level of play up, he can help Jaskin and/or Rattie, etc., become better NHL goal scorers.

I am of the opinion that NONE of the younger players/ prospects should be moved. It's time for this organization to continue to develop its own talent and move the Oshie's and Perron's of the world when a change is neede. I can't stand it when our draft picks and prospects are dealt away in an effort to"win today". This team needs to keep developing its organizational depth in order to stay viable and remain a threat long term.

I'm hoping that if there are anymore trades they include one or two Backes, Bowmeester, Steen and Petro. Ott should be put on waivers immediately. Can't believe they are paying him to perform that role when there are a ton of players that can perform that role for the league minimum.

Other than those players, this team should remain as is, and continue to develop, give them a chance to prove they can get out of the shadow of past failures by moving out the dead weight

WilliamWestcliffe wrote:I understand most won't agree with me and the 100 foot view of his play may not help my argument, but....

I think Berglund has demonstrated the most continued growth of his game of any of the "boy band" era. He came in as a perimeter goal scoring center, was asked to find a net front presence, develop a more responsible two-way game and now move to a wing.

I believe for a year or two, you saw Berglund sacrifice an element of his offensive skill set in order to do that which his coach and GM asked him to do: focus on other elements of his game.

In that time, he's become one of the better defensive players on the offensive side. He's improved his puck control (to the ire of some fans) and he's actually become quite a bit better in front of the net.

He's stuck around so long despite the fans' cry for removal because he has adapted and improved in the areas that his coaches have asked.

I also remember when Pronger was still finding himself on this team how adamant everyone was about his lack of speed, slow, lethargic feet, etc. Finally, when Pronger settled in, those same characterizations became "he just looks slow and lumbering because of his size", "he actually covers a lot of ground", etc.

I think once he's allowed to settle into a line, position and role, we'll finally see the whole package with Berglund. And, as noted, he is one of the few on this team that seem to rise to the occasion. He's proven so in the NHL postseason and plenty of times on the larger international stage. The same cannot be said for Perron, Oshie, Pietrangelo, Backes, Allen, etc.
I pretty much tend to agree. I said at the time, and still believe it to be true, that it was a mistake not to start him (as well as Oshie) in the AHL. When Berglund basically quit on Murray, I had my fill, and wanted him gone, even if it meant releasing him.
Under Hitch, I gained a new perspective of Berglund. He's never going to be the goal scorer, the playmaker, or the big thumper, that people expected, but in the last two years, he has become a player who has made definite contributions to making this team better.
Obviously, there is a chance he could be included in a deal for the right player, but if not, I have no problem with his remaining with the Blues.

I'm fine if Berglund stays or goes. He's not what some had hoped he'd be after his rookie year, but that's been apparent for a few years. He doesn't hurt this team on the third line if that is indeed how he's used this fall. That said, if the right deal comes along I won't hold a candle light vigil.
Last edited by Dave's a mess on Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote:I'm fine if Berglund stars or goes. He's not what some had hoped he'd be after his rookie year, but that's been apparent for a few years. He doesn't hurt this team on the third line if that is indeed how he's used this fall. That said, if the right deal comes along I won't hold a candle light vigil.

My biggest problem with Berglund is he is to slow with the puck. Not talking about how quick he skates, which is snail paced, but how long it takes him to react when he has the puck in his possession. While he is very good at protecting the puck along the boards, once he has it, rarely does he get it to the right area for a scoring opportunity or a shot for himself.

Hopefully this new Blues coaching strategy of 'recklessness' will help him....
"Do Only Good Everyday"