Re: Oshie traded to Caps

Yes! To me, Oshie's departure was almost mandatory, damn the return.
Considering his poor playoff performnances, and the upcoming 3 on 3 o/t probably drastically reducing the number of shootouts, his value was shrinking.
If nothing else, Army just sent a message to the rest of the team.

barnburner wrote:Yes! To me, Oshie's departure was almost mandatory, damn the return.
Considering his poor playoff performnances, and the upcoming 3 on 3 o/t probably drastically reducing the number of shootouts, his value was shrinking.
If nothing else, Army just sent a message to the rest of the team.
My thoughts exactly.

Lots of little Bues fans are crying right now (feel bad for the kids). The asylum is in full swing too! Gotta believe Oshie was such a cancer he HAD to go. Brouwer is a great locker room guy so that will help get the message across to those who aren't on the same page. Still think a Philly deal would be good. I'd love Giroux, but if Shatty gets Coutourier and Simmonds don't you do this?

Oates2Hullie450 wrote:It's notable though that Brouwer has not been good in the playoffs either. 19 points in 78 career playoff games.
Many of those came with Chicago, though--right? A team where he had a much smaller role earlier in his carreer. And, with Washington, come playoff time, his role was greatly diminished as the team really leaned on their top line.

I feel like Oshie was depended on as a top guy in the playoffs and flat sucked. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think Brouwer was ever supposed to be "the guy".

i like it...watching the Caps this postseason I actually thought that Brouwer was the type of player the Blues needed. Oshie is a boy but Brouwer is a man. Copley put up decent numbers in the AHL last year. I'm sure I'm in the minority here but I like this trade. I could quibble and say that I wish we'd gotten a 2nd instead of a 3rd, but overall I'll be happy to see Brouwer in the lineup next year and I don't care if Oshie puts up career numbers with Ovechkin.

rocketpop wrote:
Oates2Hullie450 wrote:It's notable though that Brouwer has not been good in the playoffs either. 19 points in 78 career playoff games.
Many of those came with Chicago, though--right? A team where he had a much smaller role earlier in his carreer. And, with Washington, come playoff time, his role was greatly diminished as the team really leaned on their top line.

I feel like Oshie was depended on as a top guy in the playoffs and flat sucked. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think Brouwer was ever supposed to be "the guy".
When you put it like that it's much better. Good call.

Sneptsmoustache wrote:i like it...watching the Caps this postseason I actually thought that Brouwer was the type of player the Blues needed. Oshie is a boy but Brouwer is a man. Copley put up decent numbers in the AHL last year. I'm sure I'm in the minority here but I like this trade. I could quibble and say that I wish we'd gotten a 2nd instead of a 3rd, but overall I'll be happy to see Brouwer in the lineup next year and I don't care if Oshie puts up career numbers with Ovechkin.
Outstanding point of view, I totally agree. The fact that Brouwer is a free agent after next season is a bonus. If he sucks, then we are not committed to him beyond next season and he can be replaced. If he does well in his "prove it" year, then we can look at signing him back. It's not like we gave up Gretzky in the deal, it's T.J. Freakin' Oshie we are talking about.

Aside: if (any of) you want a chuckle, stroll on over to the Asylum and take a gander, that place is going crazy. And just guess who the leaders of the revolt are...

Wow the asylum seriously is off its rocker right now..also do want to add that this could very well be a "domino" trade as the Copley addition is strange when you see we have a young Allen, Bennington, Husso, maybe even Lundstrom. We will see, but we can't complain about being complacent any longer.
Last edited by Oates2Hullie450 on Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sneptsmoustache wrote:i like it...watching the Caps this postseason I actually thought that Brouwer was the type of player the Blues needed. Oshie is a boy but Brouwer is a man. Copley put up decent numbers in the AHL last year. I'm sure I'm in the minority here but I like this trade. I could quibble and say that I wish we'd gotten a 2nd instead of a 3rd, but overall I'll be happy to see Brouwer in the lineup next year and I don't care if Oshie puts up career numbers with Ovechkin.
Agreed. Brouwer may, or may not, score more than Oshie in the playoffs, but he won't become invisible like #74. He will find ways to contribute. You pretty much nailed it. Oshie = boy. Brouwer = man.

Maybe this will be the shock that wakes Oshie up, and motivates him to step up his game. It wasn't going to happen here.