Re: Sobotka stays in KHL

Just saw this as well.

Pretty much expected at this point.

It's a frustrating situation because he definitely could play a role for this team, just apparently not a big enough role for him. With the likes of Fab and Ivan and Jaskin and potentially Rattie though, that role keeps getting pushed further and further down. I truly believe we've seen the last of him in the Note and depending on how long Army's tenure is here, the last of him in the NHL.

It's almost like an Ozzie - Tony La Russa situation where the guy won't come around as long as a specific person is still here.

Good luck and stay healthy

If it were just a matter of opportunity and Hitch/Army, why not deal him at the draft and be done with it? He won't deal the stiffs in his lineup. How about dealing one that isn't in his lineup? You can't tell me they couldn't get a late 4th - 6th for Sobotka. He has a lot of value for a contender (you know, a real contender.)

Mph6689 wrote:So, was he waiting around for a trade? If traded to a team he was ok with, he would come play?

Just speculating
I don't think so. Strickland tweeted that the Blues were informed of this Friday, but Sobotka's agent asked that the information not be let out until Monday morning. Which means he decided before the draft was over.

He was probably difficult to move for anything because everyone most likely already knew from the leaked reports in Russia that he was going to stay over there.