FTP: WCQF Game 6 Jets 04/20/2019 (Post Game Thread)

This thing is over! What a game and series! The post-game thread.

The original thread link is here:
https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/ ... r.2637321/

Page number: 1

A year of more downs than ups, lots of interesting decisions in the off season for coaches and players

I literally can't even right now

The jets will be a very different team next year like it or not. I think that's good for everyone

Too Little, too late.

Jets pushed hard despite many obstacles. I'm super biased but I have a sneaky feeling the better team lost the series.

Coach is fine.
Team is fine.
Leadership is fine.
Was just luck. Or reffing, or a hot team, or something

The year of the blown leads.
Please please ****ing fire Maurice

What you going to do Chevy and Chipman?

Bye Paul

Laine played like a pro, no giving up by him.

Can Maurice be fired right now?

At least it was close, although that was a terrible Game 6
Hellebuyck was awesome though, I think he'll be good next season
Hayes was average, not sure if we should try to bring him back
Byfuglien is a great playoff guy but he also made some costly mistakes today
I guess we'll try this again in a year

It was a fun year. Hated the way it ended though. Think the Blues make a good run this year. See ya guys later. Some of you not until you have something to ***** about which may not be long.

Quick, before the other unemployed coaches are scooped up

Have to question the whole leadership core of this team.

Well, I know one thing for certain, my bank account just got a lot richer.
Will be an interesting off season. If it's the last I've seen of Tyler Myers, it's a silver lining.

Honestly looking forward to this offseason. Lots if interesting questions need answering.
Too bad the Jets couldn't go further but it wasn't their year, they just looked off all season.

Paul's here for 2 more years minimum. This is Chevy we're talking about.

Have a great summer all. I'm gonna miss the GDT crew and all the GDT fun.
We'll get em next year.
Love,
Kanadalainen

Let me speak proudly: tell all the rest
We are but warriors for the working-day;
While our happiness and our mood are temporarily besmirch'd
With rainy marching in the painful field;
There's not a piece of feather in our host"”
Good argument, I hope, we will not fly"”
And time hath worn us into slovenry:
But, by the mass, our hearts are in the trim.

Discipline - fail
Top 6 F - fail
D- fail
Coaching - fail
Gin consumption - epic

I could use one of Cosby's drinks right about now.

What a gutless, shameful display (heads up the asses for 55 minutes and then 5 minutes of desperate play doesn't absolve them).
The tired sentiments about how Jets fans should be grateful they have a team, and that they shouldn't do anything that would prevent players from wanting to come to Winnipeg, have to end. Hold these turds to account. Otherwise, these kinds of forgiving, invincibly patient attitudes create a culture of complacency.
How many times have the Jets made it out of the first round in their thirty-plus years of existence? Once?

3-2 nail biter! I called Hayes and Perreault to lead the comeback... lol, they almost did it too!

Page number: 2

I literally was going to post this...however this wonderful meme beat me to it..
but I have to say before the autopsy begins...
ladies and gentlemen...
it was an honour serving with you.

I picked the Jets to lose in 5 "¦ and I'm not saying that to be a troll. I truly believed it. Why?
Because I do not believe any team that is playing consistently poor hockey for 2 months before the playoffs start, will magically start playing better just because it's now called the playoffs. To be fair the Jets did play better than I thought they were going to, but at the end they are not the team we saw last season.

The only guy that I'm sure won't be back next year is Gramps.

Ah man. Feels like a wasted year with the talent on this team.
But on the flipside maybe it's for the best if it leads to some significant shake ups.

Credit to the blues they had those little extra things. It was a hard fought series, 50 mins of this game aside lol

Switch was flipped. House was empty.

That was an incredibly garbage effort by most of our team. Embarrassing.

The better TEAM def. won this series

The Blues played poor hockey for the first 3 months of the season

What kind of trash can coach can not even get his team to play in a elimination game.
****ing pathetic.

I really, really wish this wasn't true, but I know it is. We need a full wipe of our coaching staff.

We all know the score is not indicative of how the game went tonight.
There is no defending how they were from start to finish tonight.
I swear to God if Maurice and others spew out the same copy pasted spiel in post game interviews, they can just walk right out and join a different franchise.

Yeah it is definitely a bummer.
Don't let any trolls derail your enthusiasm

I don't mind losing, honestly.
Hate to lose in that fashion though.
We were never in this game.
Outshot 16-1 in period 2. That's unacceptable and now there has to be consequences

I love the Jets.
But knew since November/December that this would probably happen. The way they played since those months seemed "off" compared to last season.
Winnipeg Jets Forever!
I know this sounds crazy... I wonder what would this team be like without the Atlanta core that came here.
I love Buff, Wheels and Little and what they represent for our team. Sometimes though I just wonder what would of happened if we cleaned house altogether with those guys no longer here.

Epic collapse in Game 5
Brutal no-show facing elimination, tonight
This thing went South in a real hurry...

Your top players have to play like it, your big players have to play like it, your d men have to defend move the puck and clear the front of the net and you goalie has to be consistently good , all these things very rarely happened this year

Start with firing Maurice and Flaherty

I just cant understand why the Jets played like that for the first 55 minutes. I understand that someone might have an off day but almost the whole team?! What the f..

On the upside...
The Jets saved me a pile of money.
St. Louis will lose to either Dallas or Nashville. ( I hope )

Helle was the only player who showed up and played like it was an elimination game.
Everyone else played like this game was in October.

Cant wait for the Mo post presser. "Thats a bunch of men in that locker room". "They played hard and the right way". "They take care of things in that room". "They were hard on the puck, it was a grinding game". Same old BS or maybe he'll look sternly at the Wpg press hacks and spew out a few more nuggets. Team was outplayed for long stretches this year. And Chevy please get rid of the cancers in that room because this is nowhere near all on the coach. He was just the enabler

They were mentally whipped in Game 5. No drive or purpose, tonight

This x 1000

As much as it hurts you have to give credit to the Blues team defense, they limited our chances all game.

This is exactly where I'm at. I can handle losing, it's part of the game. There's 15 disappointed teams every playoffs, you know the odds area against you. But to do it in this manner is just unacceptable.

Page number: 3

A frustrating end to an uneven season
Our defensive core will probably look a lot different next year. Hopefully Niku can step into a fulltime role and Trouba either re-signs for a reasonable price or gets dealt for a good return.
Our top-6 is going to have to figure out how to play defence if we ever want to go anywhere.
Se you all next year.

Jets will have a different look next year. Gotta think we'll see some changes coming

St Louis barely beat us so how good are they .
I see Dallas beating them in the 2nd round.

Don't worry, I'm troll-proof. Plus I moved like 600 bricks today and I'm tired as ****

That is true. Almost like another tax return. Last year I spent almost $1200 on playoff games, this year I spent under $120.

Not going to post the save percentage.
Jets usually played 55 minutes and collapsed. Interesting for them to flip the script in their last game.
We'll be a good team next year.

They didn't deserve to win this series. Imploding in game 5, then getting stomped for all but half a period just didn't cut it.

I'm spent.

Can't wait to hear Maurice's platitudes.
To be fair, I wouldn't be happy hearing anything from him other than his exit interview and resignation papers.

Changes are inevitable just because of all the cap issues this team is facing.

Crazy that 5 on 5 with an empty net in the last 30 seconds we can rush the puck into STL's end about 3 times and get scoring chances. If we play with that urgency all night it's a different game.

I hope we find someone foolish enough to take Perreault off our hands, though my hopes aren't high.

Sad because we prob wont have as talented a roster for a long long time and we wasted it with a sub par coaching staff. Over all this is the most disappointing jets season since they returned.

Nope. And thats my final offer.

That was a tough game to watch. But the Jets stayed in it thanks to Helle and if it weren't for the missed goalie interference it could've been a whole different game.
I expect the Jets (and staff) to learn and grow a lot from this and will push much deeper next year

This was not a series of inches when you don't show up for the majority of 3 games.

I've never seen a team lack such urgency in an elimination game.

Binnington is not good. Next team up will have an easy time with him They will crowd and crash the net. When the Jets did, he was easy. But the Jets team has become soft. Some guys are not suited at all to playoff hockey like Ehlers and Roslo. A guy like Lemieux was more important for this team than Hayes. All Hayes did was pickup the points Little was already getting, in a year where we showed for 3 months in a row that we were only a .500 team and not a serious contender. Chevy gave up the future making the team less playoff ready. A real shame.
Big changes needed.

Another successful year for Maurice, a million or two to add the fortune he's managed to scam off of Chevy.

It's a lot different when the other team isnt forechecking. Like a lot.

If we can replace Perreault and Kulikov with ELC's buyouts are a reasonable option. Don't think we can afford the assets needed to get someone to take them off our hands. Perreault probably has more value than Kulikov.

On paper, this roster is a top 4 team. However, when you factor in the coaching, it effectively neutralises any advantages we have based on pure talent.

Blues deserved to win. They were the better team. Jets took things for granted. That's all.

The Blues stuck together as a team and were alright.

You mean after the first 82 games?

Page number: 4

I know they can build more speed but St. Louis didn't give up checking completely, still competing in the neutral zone, Perreault and Laine both beat 3 guys, the rest of the game the only guy who rushed the puck like that was Byfuglien.

Is it though? Or is it Chipman who doesn't want Maurice fired?

I love you all and you are all beautiful people. I know a lot of you dislike my attitude and that is fine, but I love you all. Here's to the Jets not sucking next year.

Well that's it. Good night.

3 times actually.

No offense (well, maybe, since I am calling you out), but some of you are really salty losers if you say Binnington isn't good right now. Sure, he may not continue this all playoffs or even into next season, but he had a really good season this year and played really well this series.
The better team won. Maybe not the more talented team but the better team won. The Jets didn't seem like a team for most of this series.

On the bright side, that was probably Myers last game as a Jet... right ??

3 times actually.

I love you too buddy. I know you're as sore as the rest of us.

wasted season.
and now the team enters salary cap hell.
very frustrating

2 no-show games and 3 losses at home....are not a viable formula for playoff success...

In retrospective now that horse **** call by the officials was umm pretty big now huh.

I think St Louis played their assess off. Credit where it's due. We had our chances to win this series but something was just off. That goal against with 15 seconds to go las tfame just crushed and we weren't ready to play today.
The blues were the hottest team going into the playoffs and we gave it to them. So credit to us still for giving them a solid series. A real shame it didn't go to 7 games cause this series was the most intense of the first round imo.
With the Jets now out, it's watching champions league and Liverpool and Man City duke it out for premier league title
sucks we didn't see more playoff hockey but it's probably for best we exited first round...this way the changes in the summer will be more serious

As was the miscued challenge
But hockey games are such that who knows what the momentum would.have been like earlier in the game. More than anything the Jets didn't play their best this series aside from one game.

Jets had the lead for quite a bit longer then the Blues didn't they?

It will be interesting to find out who was playing injured and what the ailment was, my biggest concern apart from injuries hampering the team was the play of Scheifele who truly looked lost in way to many games.

Sadly, sadly, the sun rose; and it rose upon no sadder sight than this man of good abilities and good emotions, incapable of their directed exercise, incapable of his own help and his own happiness, sensible of the blight on him, and resigning himself to let it eat him away.
- Charles Dickens, A Tale of Two Cities

So much talent on this team......

I find I'm not nearly as upset as when it ended last year. Expectations were pretty low entering the playoffs this year.

"Players played as hard a they could tonight" - Maurice
Oh COME ON.

I'm not overly concerned about Scheifele. His defense needs work obviously but he's always worked hard on his game his whole career to get where he is now. This is the same guy who a year ago was on pace to set the NHL record for goals in the playoffs had the Jets moved on and set a career high this year with almost 40.

Did he actually just say that ? He should be fired tonight

Last year the Jets peaked close to the end of the season and came into the play-offs higher than a kite. This year not so much and they join a number of good teams who found out that "its not where you finish but how you finish". Calgary, Tampa and likely 2 of Nashville, San Jose and Boston have already or will be joining them shortly. And who saw that coming? I honestly expected more tonight but the quick start by the Blues, their relentless pressure, a likely illegal goal, a couple of ****ty penalties, etc., all conspired against them. And who could have predicted that Schwartz would score all of St Louis' final 4 goals. Jets will be back next year smarter and better prepared. Now if only Boston can come bask so we don't have to listen about the Maple Laffs in the second round!

I had written the season off weeks ago so I am not surprised. Trading that 1st will haunt us. Many of us were begging to not trade huge assets at the deadline when this team had some of the worst stats in the league. Now we end the season with a 1st round exit, no 1st round pick, Hayes playing 4th line minutes for most of the series and likely walking for nothing and very little cap flexibility. Next season with likely no Trouba and even older Wheeler and Little, even making the playoffs will be an ordeal.

Page number: 5

Where was that effort all night.
What the Jets did for the first 57 minutes was gutless.and they should be ashamed of themselves.
Wheeler taking a 4 minute penalty at the end was stupidity.

Did you think he was going to come out and say they were all dog ****? They're already out, no need to **** on them to the media now

It'll be interesting what changes are made. Personnel changes are inevitable and it probably won't be entirely players.
The Jets continually failed at transitioning the puck out of the defensive zone all year.
The game today I felt like the forwards were abandoning the defensemen in the corners, blowing past the dots all night and leaving the defensemen to either flip the puck out or throw a puck into the slot and hope there's a forward there to skate it out.
One play in particular stood out where Tanev chased the puck from the slot into the corner, got pressured and dropped the puck to Kulikov and then skated into the slot and left Kulikov to get the puck out with 2 forecheckers on him. That was the play with around 5 minutes left in the second period where the Blues were hammering the Lowry line, Morrissey was stuck on the ice with them and Kulikov.

Maurice's interview is live right now and interrupted me typing this up. He basically threw Hellebuyck under the bus for the first challenge; that's ****ing gross.

The vast majority of teams do not win the Stanley Cup. This includes a lot of very good teams. This is the reality of single elimination tournaments.

I'm just... sad.

Myers, Chiarot, Hayes, Perreault, Trouba, Tanev? There's a few players who won't be back, that's a guarantee.

Maybe if we didn't gas Scheifele and Wheeler all season, they wouldn't have had a little left in the tank for the playoffs.

Yeah that seemed like a stretch. Ol' Paul could sell the media the shoes on their feet.

Interesting feeling by Maurice about the travel the team endured and how that affected their season compared to last season.
That's a side effect of the Finland games. Next season we have an outdoor game which also condenses the rest of the schedule. Maybe we need a break from these events and a focus on optimizing to win the Cup.

Tortorella would have.
Not saying it's right, just that he would have.

Oake sure enjoys rubbing the salt in the wounds.

Well at least we didn't get swept like a team that was given the Stanley Cup before the playoffs started. Still it's still sad that the season is over.

Well if we are all honest with each other most of us didnt have the jets moving beyond the first round. The only team they looked good against is getting the wheels beat off of it by the last team to make the playoffs.
St Louis will sadly lose to Dallas, when I watch Dallas they are everything we looked like last year. I'd rather st Louis win as I hate Dallas but wow we were no where near the bar to go far this year.

Overall that might be accurate, but the better team sure won tonight.

Vancouver Torts would, I'm not sure milder CBJ Torts would

I'm going to try and be positive. Jets clearly took a step back this year. If they do a brutally honest self assessment and come back more committed nextt year maybe we can look at this as a necessary learning phase. I still foresee some changes, like Trouba being traded. They can't sign everybody so I think he goes.

The Jets embarrassed themselves tonight and through our the entire series. Let this be a lesson. Skill alone can't get it done. You actually need effort.

Central is going to dog eat dog next year and I hope the Jets can keep up

And so, my friends, we'll say goodnight,
for Time has claimed his prize;
but tonight can always last
as long as we keep alive
the memories of Paradise. - Dennis DeYoung, A.D. 1958

Wow, weird. Kypreos is actually right.
Jets couldn't close out games with a lead.

And he didn't have to watch them all year....genius.

I'd say fire Maurice, but I know TNSE loves him too much to fire him. Plus Vigneault is in Philly which would've been our best opportunity, plus Quenneville is in Florida, so we're out of options. Could be worse, could be Claude Noel.

We truly should've headed to the cup finals this year, but given up around February but just couldn't admit it, bet all of you can relate.
Trouba has to be traded, no questions asked, should've happened after last season. I think he's what's wrong with the dressing room, that and a few other things. The defense needs massive improvement. I think Hellebuyck was good but just our team played horribly or was outcoached, couldn't even tell.
I just hope Roslovic can turn into a 2C next season because Little isn't even good anymore, just complimentary at an expensive price. Hayes is even a question going to free agency.

That is complete BS and very patronising to knowledgeable Jets fans. He is protecting himself.

There isn't any potential excuse for tonight....that would actually work.

Another positive: I can watch the NFL draft on Thursday without any annoying Jets playoff games to conflict with.

Page number: 6

He would have. And I'd have disapproved. And maybe that's a damning indictment on my lack of ability to assess a coach's worth. But I think that excoriating athletes in public is a Bad Thing. Maybe I'm wrong.

The art of keeping a job my friend

no.
you have to look at the talent level of a team...not all teams are equal and the jets were a bad team for the first 6 seasons. this was a golden opportunity to build off of last year and the jets stunk going into the playoffs. now the team is in salary cap hell and will unlikely put a roster on the ice as talented as this team in a long time. the atlanta core is also aging...well past their primes.
last year the jets were unbelievable at protecting leads.... this year was the exact opposite.
chevy realized the potential of the team and traded away 2 first round picks. Stastny produced. hayes did not.
the jets did not lose to a more talented team. they lost to a more focused and determined team.

No I agree. There can be both. But Trotz is coaching a different team

Kevin O on 1290 trying to get the other guy to stop saying how bad the Jets were.

I tend to agree, but also acknowledge the affect it has. Shouldn't cause a tailspin like the Jets went into but is not inconsequential for a team in the Central that has to travel across the continent and through time zones routinely. If you're an Eastern team that plays the vast majority of your games within a 2 hour flight in the same time zone probably less of a problem.

It'd be one thing if they obviously didn't care and were only in it for the money, but we know that's not true.
As much as we complain, I know they're feeling just as gutted as us, none of them want to lose like this.

Deep down he's a Jets fan and I'm sure deep down he's a bit sad too

Shout out to the Jets fans showing class on the Blues board.

Hayes is gone. Dont think either party is interested.... Little is a 3C now. We need to use someone to get a 2C. Whether thats Ehlers or Trouba as the main guy going for that. Also will need a D if Trouba goes. So I think Trouba is gone as well as one of Ehlers/Connor.

Well written. I think this will sadly be the year where we had the roster and blew the window with coaching dumb line combos and throwing away a 1st rounder and a young roster player.
I really think pomo was told if you want hayes on the 4th and little back at 2nd line center you better ****ing win. Well he didnt in spectacular fashion. We have lost what the last 7 playoff games at home now? We dont have a problem we have a bloody epidemic.

So if we did get rid of Maurice who would we go get? Guy Boucher? Cant really think of anyone else out there.

It would be an extraordinary leap for Roslovic to become a good top 6 forward next season, let alone a 2c.

So how you feel now that it's over? I know you were pretty critical down the stretch about a few things. Where's your head at? I'm just sad. Lol Tough to go out.

Your positivity thread ain't even funny!

Jets gave us the final five minutes they owed us from game 5 nothing more.

Hey, I'm not THAT drunk........
Yet.

That's disgusting. I'd rather just keep Maurice.

St Louis wanted it more.
The Jets team that showed up tonight easily played one of the worst heartless performances in Jet history.
I am disgusted with that gutless effort.

We easily lost this series in game 5 after the 3rd period collapse.
That was the nail in the coffin of a mentally weak team coached by a brainless idiot.

Jets couldn't beat anyone in the Central in the second half of the season, who cares who they faced in the first round, they wouldn't t have won anyway!

That's the problem. There really isn't an upgrade available. Either downgrades or sidegrades.

wheels just told a reporter to **** off?

Page number: 7

The NHL is a league now where Wheeler is no longer fast, Buff is no longer big and Little is no longer talented. But at least everybody's together. That's what's important. Chevy let the team get moldy, and Maurice already was, so it's not a refreshing sight.
At least Buff's contract is almost over, and his decline is probably going to turn out to be not as bad as the others'. Maybe they can divest themselves of Little later. Hard to see Wheeler's contract panning out.

There's Darryl Sutter, but idk if he'd do well with how our roster is set up

If we made it through St Louis we were done in the 2nd round.
Dallas would have steam rolled us.

Someone younger and willing to change. Take the talent we have and use it to the best of their abilities instead of trying to hammer a square peg in a round hole. And it sounds cliche but I really didn't know what this teams identify was anymore.

Bringing Hendrick to help the leadership group.
Collapsing in the 3rd period after a close door meeting by the leadership group.
It shows that many have tuned them out.
Is it fair? No

This will be tough off season as they just signed a captain who praises maurice.

Blues earned this series win. Congrats and good luck to them.
Some changes need to be made this offseason. Chevy cant go into next season with the same roster. Or coaching staff.

Stevie Wonder could have told you that.
All season long we threw 3rd period leads in the garbage with poor defense.

Yeah, that game in the far-flung city of Regina is really gonna reek havoc with the Jets players' sleep cycle and schedule. I guess every team that plays in the stadium series suffers the same hardships too.

Fire Maurice, trade Wheeler and Perreault, let Myers walk and re-invest in the youth and skill on this team.
Hire Cooper if possible. Give Laine and Ehlers more minutes. Give Niku an actual shot.
Nothing really major (outside of that Wheeler trade idea) is really needed.

He didn't throw Helle under the bus. Don't be ridiculous. Posters can go listen and judge for themselves.

Dave Tippett

One hour plane ride to a city in the same time zone should really mess guys in their 20's up don't cha know!

He's with Seattle already!
You snooze you lose and you end up with a has-been head coach no else wanted like Maurice!

Chevy looks sexy in that pic!

That's my vote. But he might be committed to the Seattle franchise

Isn't he associated with the Seattle franchise?

I just looked at his coaching record, def better than Guy Boucher i see.

That's not any better. We need someone in a newer mold. Not recycling the same old farts. May as well keep Maurice if we do that.

Roger Waters tour?

What did he say whileee?

They must've got a group rate.

Hellebuyck was really only bad in game 2 and all the other games he was pretty solid.
Losing this series was in no way his fault.

Ugh! Couldn't stand it...

He might be our head coach next season!

Is Ducky available. ?

Page number: 8

It's more the week it removes from the rest of the schedule, condensing the rest of it, like this season where the Jets played basically every other day for the final two months. The Western teams have worse travel already and the Jets would have it among the worst of those teams with just Minnesota close.

Very painful, indeed. Its kind of nuts how much emotional capital I have invested in the Jets' Universe.
Hang in there my friend.

What do we do now?

Big deal. Team already threw Helly under the bus, tonight...

If your judgement is coaching record then you may end up right where you started. We need a newer direction if we change coaches.

we just gonna ignore this? lol

Doubtful. And doubt it'd work. You guys are going nowhere.

I mean, there's always next year

Yah your right and please please please get rid of Huddy haha

Basically said he had to challenge because Helle felt it was interference and if he didn't he'd risk Helle being pissed for no challenge and losing his edge.

He said that Hellebuyck is battling and felt that he didn't get a chance to make the save, so that factors into Maurice's decision to challenge. He doesn't want the goalie to continue to wish that the challenge was made, so he refocuses.

What was the question?

Thats the way.

First order of business for Chevy, find out right away unless he already knows if Trouba will sign a long term extension, if not trade him before the draft. second make a decision about Maurice and his coaches, third sign Laine and KFC and fourth get rid of some of the fringe players.

Randy Carlyle come on down! Kidding, of course, but who knows with Chipper. He likes his Moose alumni.

Haha man i was feeling down until i just read this, that was def a good one, i like it

Not Huddy the mute

I don't think think PoMo is the reason that they lost though... maybe there was some value left on the table in optimizing the lineup (I am not too convinced) but even then it was not the difference between this and a successful season. Anyways I don't expect the coach to play a guy higher up in the lineup just because the GM spent big assets on him (that is the exact thing we criticized Noel/Maurice for with Pavelec).

Hahahaha this i like

I need a link. His interview with SN was calm and professional. If it was McIntyre asking about the rot in Jetsville, I hope Wheeler told him off.

Ahhhh. Players coach strikes again.

Do Maurice and Wheeler honestly think this game was their best compete level?
Reporter should have told Blake to "**** off".
EDIT: The reporter said something like teams needing to compete at their highest level in an elimination game, and asked Wheeler what he thought happened tonight, suggesting the Jets weren't competing their hardest.

I am profoundly disappointed, but not surprised. I tried to jump on the playoff bandwagon to convince myself that there was a switch.
My biggest disappointment goes back to what I said after Vegas last year. Our coach is the weak link on this team. We had a cup contending roster that will never reach its potential under Maurice. Then with the team playing .500 hockey for months and being bottom 5 in advanced stats, it was clear it was not the year to blow the future at the deadline.
I was not kidding when I said pregame that we likely don't see the post season next year.
But I am a Jets fan for life. Go Jets Go.

Well it's been a slice everyone.
I'm glad I could hang out with all of you for the past 6 months. It's been a pleasure.

Yeah, show some real fight in the dressing room, a hour after the game ended....

Page number: 9

Maurice said the Jets were gassed going into the playoffs. That seems likely accurate. He bears responsibility for overpaying his top players, but I think the Jets played like they were gassed. Why is that so hard to accept?

I'm rattled boys.
Mo and Wheels have to go.

"Helle felt that he got bumped first, before Buff took it and that's what pulled him off the post. So I'm taking care of my number one guy in that spot like he feels it. And he responded and if it wasn't really Connor kept it at that number, and if he doesn't, if he's agitated, if he's pissed that we didn't challenge we might get a different performance.
The second one's goalie interference, I've got no way to challenge that. You've got to rely on the guys on the ice to make the right call."
You don't think that's even unintentionally putting blame on Hellebuyck for that? You're telling me Maurice can't call Helle to the bench and explain the camera angles don't show what he felt and the call wasn't going to go their way? Who's the coach?

some of these callers on 1290 need to **** off... blaming the jets loss on the lack of canadians what the ****

To be honest, I don't mind at all if a smartass reporter gets cussed for asking stupid questions. Seriously, we have some of the laziest and most ignorant reporters.

At the deadline there were rumours about the Blues potentially shopping Schenn and the Jets being interested.
Now he's in the 2nd round and we're done.
That was like 2 months ago!

were the jets gassed all season long when they set an nhl record for most blown 2 goal leads in nhl history?
this goes well beyond minute management
this series was decided in game 5 when the jets couldnt protect a 2 goal lead....last years the jets were 9-0 in playoffs and terrific protecting leads in the regular season when leading after 2.
2 of the 4 losses were blown third period leads.
this is the #1 difference between last year and this year. why they couldnt protect leads? thats the million dollar quastion.

Why should they be gassed when they had a playoff spot clinched well in advance. ? Why aren't other teams gassed ? Yes it's VERY hard to accept !

No. He's telling us honestly why he made the call. Hellebuyck would have wanted him to make the call.

something about being in an elimination game and the team not giving it's best

Does anyone have a link to the post game interviews??

I'm gassed from watching this lousy team D, all year

Yeah, we are the only team that has to play 82 games in the regular season. The other teams only have to play, hey, wait a minute?

They were gassed because they continued to play hard games against tough teams all over N. America for the last month. They had 10 games in 17 days down the stretch. They were trying to keep home ice advantage.

I don't think it's blaming Helle but it sure as hell is justifying a bad decision by Maurice. The correct answer is "I made a mistake and almost predictably it came back to bite us in the rear" or words to that effect.

That's why they get paid the big bucks

Um, no. They do not need to dedicate a week off for a stadium game in Regina. No different then the stadium series in other western cities really. Those teams do not take a week off for the game last I checked. And no, the Jets are nowhere among the worst - there are 7 or 8 teams who put on more air miles.

You're upset. I'm upset. The Jets had a terrible schedule, objectively. 10 games in 17 days down the stretch. That's a fact. Is it a suitable excuse? Probably not. But is it factor? Probably? Was the lack of sharpness by Buff and Morrissey a factor? Probably.
I think it's unlikely that the Jets just came out and didn't try in the final game.

Check again.

There is not doubt that the East is winning the cup.
I have a feeling the Islanders will surprise a lot of teams.

And for 2 months you called a spade a spade and other posters said you were negative and that everything was "Ducky".

Thats coaching on their part.

Larry Robinson

Well I'd take Armia back from the Canadians!

Re: FTP: WCQF Game 6 Jets 04/20/2019 (Post Game Thread)

Page number: 10

Good point on the Islanders --they will be a tough out. I just think Washington has to much firepower, experience and grit, and they know how to win, just like last year. I just think the Islanders are not quite ready "yet" -- but they won't go down without a fight--they will be a very tough out.

Lol... those contracts. That ship sailed.

Seems pretty lame to me. If Maurice knew his players were getting gassed then he should have given them alternating games off. Many posters were saying that Scheifele and Wheeler should be watching some games from the PB to get them out of their malaise. Just seems like more mis-management from Maurice.

Blues get paid the big bucks, too. Every team does.

I'm not upset. I am disappointed.
If we are tired after the regular season but our competition isn't, that's on coaching. No more BS excuses allowed.

Columbus has all the pieces. If they are firing I think they'll be tough for anyone to beat. Nobody has a better D corps and they have a ton of forwards who can score and play responsibly.

the schedule is no surprise to any of the team or coaches....... they should have been managing players and usage better. being tired is such a lame ass excuse seriously. **** off Maurice with that weak ****

They have played like this more often than not since the calendar flipped.
There is a fracture in the dressing room (no not the coach. This is player related) that needs to be addressed before this team can take a step forward.

I agree that Maurice overplayed Scheifele and Wheeler. He probably put too much emphasis on finishing first, rather than just coasting into the playoffs. Of course, this board would have melted down if the Jets had dropped to third place, but might not have been such a bad thing, all things considered.
Losing Buff and Morrissey also took a big toll on the rest of their D, and neither of them were nearly as good as they were in the 2018 playoffs.

Or simply not playing them 22 minutes a night from day 1. No reason for those guys to be on the PK. Give your bottom 6 guys that role. Total waste of a guy like Roslovic too who needed opportunities to play in spots where he could produce or should have been with the Moose. Let him round into being a PKer, tell him this is how you make this team this year. Build a team, don't just play a talented young guy 6 minutes a night and totally suffocate his development.

Blues weren't gassed out there

Does anyone have a link to the post game interviews??

Interesting that the Jets posted every post game interview on Twitter except for Wheeler's.

If PM had demanded they stick to reasonable shift lengths instead of long slow lazy shifts they would have been down around 19-20 min a game.
Anyway at this point I'm just glad it's over, watching this team underachieve for the last 4 months has been a painful wast of time.

So Maurice said 2 players were playing hurt and will announce it when they get back to Winnpeg.

Yeah, I'm not sure there's any good response to that without just falling on the sword for that one.

Laine and Ehlers. Dreger reported on that tonight. Maurice feeds Dreger info.

Being gassed is a poor excuse

I'm not sure about playing hurt, but Morrissey, Byfuglien and Tanev were just back from injuries, and obviously Ehlers was hurting from the last game.

We need a coach that doesn't allow the players to walk all over him

Needed an insider to put that together when Laine hasn't practiced all week and Ehlers took a 105 MPH shot off the shin at the end of Game 5.

Game 5 took the gas out of the players.
What impressed me the most was how strong Perreault is ... with one hand he almost threw a bigger player threw the boards.

Zero expectations this playoffs, not overly disappointed or shocked. I picked a first round exit after a sloppy reg season play.
I'm more excited about Chevys off-season moves & contracts......regarding players & coaching staff.

Page number: 11

Why do people keep saying Bryan Little is a third line centre? He was on a 51-point pace prior to the trade for Hayes. That is second line production. He tailed off thanks to a drop in ice time and Maurice inexplicably moving him to the right wing. 2 or 3 points in the final 17 or 18 games.

I hope we're not disappointed. Status quo is not acceptable.

being gassed in round 1 after the team coasted into the playoffs....meanwhile the blues had a lot of catching up to do just to make the playoffs... jets are also one of the youngest teams in the league.... being gassed is one of the worst excuses I have ever heard. maybe last year against vegas it was legit since it was the conference finals and the jets had a tough 7 game series against the preds with no chance to rest before the vegas series.
but this year?
weak excuse

After the first 10 games of the year when we were something like 7-3 I said we could have easily been 2-8. We were very lucky to have the record we did early on and in the first 2 months.
It was inevitable that the record would catch up with the level of play eventually.
I really don't know what we're missing but we definitely stopped heading for the net. We always seemed to be looking for the pretty goal instead of just a goal.
3 years ago we had the best prospect pool in the league and now we've let go two first round draft picks, Lemieux, Petan, Armia, and others for nothing.
Two years ago our window was wide open and looked to be open for quite a few years.
Now it feels like that window is actually closing.
Start with Maurice and move on from there.

Apparently we would need to pay Stone $14 million to match the $9.5 million he received in Las Vegas due to no state tax according to one caller. I guess he forgot about federal taxes and the fact that players are taxed on where they play their games - half out of state so the differences in pay after taxes is often misunderstood and exaggerated.

Neither are 2 more blown third period leads to follow up the 9, to lead all NHL teams, during the regular season. Wheeler, post game, says none of that carried over from the reg season to playoffs"¦ Is this guy on crack, or what? Totally delusional. Why the HE double hockey sticks would we think it would be otherwise after that many regular season debacles?

Plus even in Manitoba anyone that rich can find ways to gain tax credits and shelter a lot of their income.

We were saying it all year you cant play your 4th line for 5 to 6 mins a game and your 1st line 24-26min. And pomo blames it on travel? F him.

St.Louis deserved full marks for the win tonight.
The reffing is so *****ing bias ... every call went the Blues way. The Jets could not get a break. If I was Maurice after the 2 interference goals on Helle I would have sent a player clashing into Binnington.
The Buff penalty was a joke. Jets players sticks being held. I guy holding onto the puck for 19 seconds behind the net ... refs should have blown the whistle. But they did blow a whistle went the Jets coming on a rush because they could not count and his answer was sorry my mistake.
The Blues are good at selling penalties and when they get ONE they ***** about it ... lol.

lol @ maurice citing the schedule. hey you dunce, you get the schedule weeks in advance, it ain't a surprise to you. manage your players better through the year.

This alone should get him fired

Stone DID NOT want to play in Winnipeg ... he said too much pressure.
Calgary had a deal for Stone but Stone backed out the next day.
I posted a while back about Brian Burke saying the majority of Canadian boys like playing in the US ... maybe that's one of the reason why a Canadian team has not won the SC for 26 years.

I knew he'd trot out the tired excuse.

the callers on 1290 are clueless nincompoops.

The Islanders and Blues made no TDL deals and they are moving on plus they have first rounders in the draft.

Probably Scheifele and wheeler

Schedule seems to have played a bigger part then we thought. That end to March was rough.

If one is Scheifele I'd guess it's one of his wrists. Someone a few weeks ago was saying they saw one of his wrists taped up more than normal. I think I remember him going hard into the boards behind the net in a game against the Wild in December. He didn't fall or anything but he braced himself going into the glass with a fist I think.

He was talking about the different time zones.
The Leafs playing Buffalo, Rangers and the Islanders is a lot different then the Jets playing LA to Vegas to Nashville BUT that's no excuse.
Game 5 is what really killed the Jets.

Buff, Ehlers

Quite frankly I cannot see how anyone can look at this season through the lenses of underlying metrics and the eye test and not ascertain that coaching is mostly to blame for what happened this season. Plain as day.

Shouldda had the first one tonight

Page number: 12

He seemed slow all year, but was never missing practice. I kinda hope there was an issue, that his play was not the new normal.

Because the same coaching produced elite results both in the underlying metrics and in the eye-test last season. Blaming the coach is the simplest answer. I think there are more factors at work including personnel and sober analysis is required and that sober analysis starts with not immediately building up easy scapegoats be it on the coaching side or on the player side.

Yeah sure, as Byfuglien's 275 lb posterior blocked his vision and then pushed him into the net.

Look on the bright side ... at least the Jets did not win the Presidents Trophy and get knocked out four straight.

There sure has been a LOT of red this year. Seems very rare to see mostly green.
Thank you Chief for your excellent game summaries all season. They are really excellent.

How about if you play a team that's not in the east or the west, like St. Louis, after resting for three days? Or a team like Minnesota that's practically next door? The Jets would have sucked this year if they only had to walk across the street for their away games.

The same old excuse, travel, and the team ran out of gas... Unreal.
If this team is running out of gas from January onward, wouldn't that be the coach that has to adapt and make changes to his roster????

You proved my point. The same talented roster, which was younger and less experienced provided top level metrics and results last year.
This year, from a metrics point of view they fell apart. How does that not fall on the coaching staff??

I'm really sorry everyone.
Barring a minor miracle I'll be back on your bandwagon next year.
Jets are a much better team than this and the future still looks bright in my opinion.
Now I'll get out of your way and let you all discuss this.

It's too bad St.Louis fired their coach in season ... they should have kept him and missed the playoffs.

I'm not usually a negative guy but their "˜best' tonight was ****ing pathetic for an elimination game. They had about a 20 minute stretch where they had two shots on goal. I don't know if I saw a hit and we lost almost every battle for the puck.
There needs to be big changes next year. I don't mind losing but you should look like you give a damn doing it.

Well given how the team played this season the last two games that ended the season were fitting. I'm not happy about it but the team routinely gave up third period leads and would regularly not show up until too late to tie games.

Except for probably a hundred guys in the NHL, AHL, colleges, Europe who are better coaches than Maurice. Don't ask for names. Just tack a list to a dartboard and start throwing.

Wonder how this would have turned out if we kept the lead in Game 5.

And then you re-sign him twice more to show everyone you only hire is-beens.

Was it a good question or a stupid one? I'll hear it later anyway, but just asking.

I have a sinking feeling that this season will be chalked up to poor fortune more than anything else and we will be treated to more of the same next season. The motto of this regime has always been slow and steady.

Watch the reply again ... he was interfered with at the same time the puck was shot and he did get a piece of it with the Blues players standing right there to knock it in. That second goal was a joke!
Fans and the Jets media need to keep pushing the ref bias look what the Leafs media did ... no hitting allowed by the Bruins because the Leafs can't play that physical game.

On the surface it looks like he's blaming Helly for his own stupid waste of a challenge, but he's really blaming himself for stupidly treating his goalie's ego like an eggshell. If Helly's so fragile that he's going to cave after that, what's he doing in net in the first place?

Ehlers should have never dressed ... big mistake by Maurice.

It was a good challenge. I would bet my last dollar if the Jets scored a goal like that it would not have counted. The Blues player hit Helle at the same time the puck was shot sorry but that's interference.

Watch the next series the Blues are in ... Dallas or Nashville will show Maurice and the Jets on how you crash the hit.

Well, they do usually start games an hour late. They need to move to the Mountain time zone.

I agree with this, the 2nd half of this season is probably the least amount of fun I've had watching a Jets season. Even enjoyed the Pavelec/Mark Stuart/GST line era seasons more than that. Only 15-16 season comes close to matching the frustration I had with this season in 2019 and even in 15-16, my frustration was amplified due to the off season decisions like Stempniak and Frolik and "what that season could have been" than the on ice product.

Page number: 13

I don't understand the concept of renting players especially for a 1st round pick. It usually dosen't work out and then we lose a chance at a future cost controlled player, which we're definitely gonna need more of in the future.

Yup ... only a 2nd and 4th in this year's draft ... ouch.

He could have given every starter a game off and that would have balanced things. Evening out the ice time could have shaved a game or two off Wheefele's TOI. But credit to Maurice, when the chips are down he jumps in with his forte -- spouting excuses.

The Hayes trade was a disaster. Lemieux was better than him let alone the first rounder.

Optional skate in the morning and team meeting in the afternoon

Package Trouba with Laine for a kings ransom.
2 1st rounders
A prospect
Good right hand D or A+ forward
Do It!

Looks like the Blues are earning theirs. And the Avs are earning their smaller bucks. The Jets as a whole didn't even earn cab fare in that game.

. . . and the other 21 players (minus Lowry, Tanev, Copp and Laine for a couple of games) were just lazy.

I can't recall where I read it, but someone wrote that Binnington reminded them of Matt Murray in the sense of a goalie who seemed to come out of nowhere and opened eyes with his brilliant goaltending, and was rewarded for it with a Stanley Cup. Man, as a Jets fan, it'd suck for a division rival to win the Cup, but on the other hand, I suppose if the Blues do win the Cup, Jets fans can say our team lost to the eventual Cup winner so there should be no shame in that.

Mark Stone would've led the Jets to victory. That man is a game-changer, would've become a fan favourite. Shame

I thought Petan would be part of the trade and not Lemieux.
The Rangers hosed us.

A complete disaster. It was very, very, VERY apparent this team was not worth investing in for the playoffs. Hopefully this opens Chevy's eyes and begins to see there is a problem at the coaching level.

Hmmm, you just might be onto something here. I think the players, like we fans were just so shell-shocked at how Game 5 ended, that their heads were still in Game 5. If that's so, big fat EPIC FAIL to the entire coaching staff for not prepping them to get their heads screwed on right for an elimination game.

Petulance, irritability and excuse-making -- a Blake Wheeler hat trick.

I wonder--who's the coach here ?? --Helle or Maurice ? you've got to take charge when your a coach, and not let Wheeler and your stars step all over you. That's becoming a big problem with this team. Maurice cannot take control, and show who's boss.

Did Helle have access to automatic replay like Maurice did ?- no he didn't.

All winning teams have headstrong coaches --and the players know who's in charge, and in the Jet's case it's the multi millionare players in charge.

TB and Flames even worse, and Cooper and Peters are dunces. Right?

Sorry, thought we were talking about the Jets.

Do you think we played poorly enough to get our own urinating tree video?

You can't keep dumping first round picks no matter how well you draft. Chevy is a smart guy. He knows this.

Completely agreed. I'm normally very positive but this was an abysmal effort from the team. Looked like they had already decided the series was over and they had no fight in them. Buff wasn't great and made some bonehead plays but at least he played with some ****ing balls. Where was that out of everyone else?
I hope to ****ing god Scheifele is hurt, his compete level has been atrocious for months.

Then I guess last year was the off year.
We'll have to see next season, as it's doubtful Chevy will do what needs to be done and probably keep most of the things the same for the team, both in coaching and players.

Laine would probably garner that return by himself

Lol. Good one.

Page number: 14

Would do that.

So IMO
Just my observation since last year.
My conclusion:
The current leadership core (vets).
Are not and cannot take this group to the next level.
I've stated this at the beginning of the year. I kind of given the old guard last run and also seeing Maurice use the young core less KC. It qas not going to happen.
Now that we have seen what happened.
Clean house coaching staff.
Im not sure itll happen but
Morrissey Lowry Schiefele gets a letter.
It was a mistake giving wheeler the letter.
Why is that? You see leadership qualities of a person at young age. Wheeler never had that in him. Its probably bad decision of TNS giving him that responsibility. Now he didnt know which way to go when adversities cames. The whole dynamic of the team went south.
Now TSN need to give the reigns to the younger core. I hope as a leader wheeler steps back.

Edit: i have nothing but respect for Wheeler but he was not the right captain for the job. Compounded with Maurice being blind and overuse him and give him full reign. And decision on his lines.
Truth hurts.

Hopefully this post opens the mods eyes to the three-hundredth consecutive post you've made ****ting on the Jets, all and entirely at the worst pinnacles of Jets defeat, so they look back on when you deleted your location as "Toronto" and finally come up with a rule against trolling that doesn't let someone like you exploit it.
But I mean, well played for putting up a Jets avatar and fooling people for half a decade. Always great to exploit zero tolerance rules that work in your favor, I suppose.

You're a new join but I hope you liked what you saw and that you come join us next year; I promise you that the Doomsaying crotchstains are but a small minority!

Avs & Bluejackets had to scrape and claw their way into the playoffs the last few weeks of the regular season, yet somehow had enough gas left in the tank to do that they did (knock out # 1 West & East seeds, respectively). Lame-ass excuse PoMo/Jets...

Be careful of attributing too much credit to one successful season toba coaching staff that has had many more rather massive failures then substantial success's through out their histories as coaches. The question now I would be asking was last year an annomily or has pomo broken his mold of a .500 coach and his coaching staff whose records are considerably worse managed to turn the page?
1 good year out of like 8 doesnt buy you much in pro sports maybe a ticket out the door.

Before the playoffs started, I really didn't know who would win the Cup, but now that Round 1 is almost over for everyone, I could see a Blues v. Islanders final.

Playing your top line 24-28 mins a game in utter stupidity. It reeks of mismanagement and poor decision making. With that roster there was no excuse for doing that. This is was far far from a one line team and yet he made it into one.

Co-signed. No offense to my fellow Jets fans here, but the one post I make sure never to miss is WPGChief's post game summaries.

Maurice's biggest mistake tonight was dressing Ehlers.
You do not dress players who are hurt especially if you have a good roster. Actually not dressing Ehlers would have probably made the Jets play better and who knows maybe motivate them even more. Just look how the Caps played tonight with out Oshie or how the Canes played without Svechnikov .

This team took a step backwards. The young players, except Connor and Trouba took a step backwards. Scheifele may have put up more points but his game seems to have fallen back, except for one game this series.
Chevy will have to decide if the players are able to continue to improve or if a change to the coaching staff is warranted. Laine and Ehlers took huge steps backwards. Hellebuyck was inconsistent, and the older vets all seemed to regress as well. Though that's understandable.

Man that hurts!
Still #GoJetsGo
Now that TNS have seen what's ailing the team.
They need to reload.
Writing on the walls since start of the year: seen this coming since February.
Some intersting events this year.
1) Vesa leaving for Finland
2) Niku getting suspended
3) both Fins wasnt use in finland!
4) continously misuse of Laine and Ehlers
5) downward play starting January
6) Trouba not happy
7) Laine gave up on his play mid season
8.) Wheeler and Chairot fight
9) helly breaking his stick on the crossback during practice after team meeting
But the most interesting facts:
10) needed to bring a press box player in Mat Hendrick to help the leadership core
11) After close door meeting , team collapsed in the very next game in the 3rd period.
12) coach kept using and giving 55 and 26 all the ice times. Not splitting them up once this year despite not very good numbers against top competition.
13) not using Hayes enough the best point producer from all the traded players after the deadline.
14) Not using enough arguably your best forward this series #29.
These are not rant. These are facts
Looking at this, the coach had lose control of the team and the leadership group have lost control of the room

There will be some turnover in the offseason. An injection of youth may be a good thing. I don't think the better team won the series. However, the harder working team did. St Louis got away with holding up the first jet forechecker all series long. It was blatant interference, but hey, it wasn't being called do they just kept doing it. It allowed the Blues D just a bit more time to make the right reads. Winnipeg never adjusted and carried it into the zone once in a while to keep them honest. Just kept going with the chip and chase, and rarely getting retrieval's.

I would give Blues credit for beating the Jets...but they are nowhere near good enough to go beyond us. Dallas will eat them up...Avs or Knights will have their way with them too.

This team had a strong identity last year.
A year later it's gone with mostly the same roster.
That's on coaching.

Lifelong Blues fan here...
Thank you.
Thank you for being good fans. The white out is unmatched IMO. You don't yell, "suck!" and understand hockey.
I respect Jets fans.
I think this series was the Western Conference finals...
Jets need a coach IMO.

I'm interested to see how the Blues do next round.
Were they really that good, or were the Jets that bad? I swear if Binnington regresses back to his normal AHL self next round I'm gonna throw a chair through my TV.

I think this year stung more then last for me and it seems like the players... even with our late season struggle. I guess just cause we expected more after last year. And after the guys battled back to 2-2 we felt they had a good chance to move on.

I like the Blues team. They played well. Despite some bad stuff, the Jets definitely played well enough the first 5 games that the Blues had to earn it. I think they can definitely take down Dallas or Nashville. I see the Avs or Vegas just being too quick though. I wont write off the Avs but I think who ever comes out of that group, will be in the cup final

I will tell you this the next team will get traffic and crash the net but the big question is ... what will the refs call?

I hope that the disdain doesn't last. I like your call for letters, and leaders, but I still have faith in Wheeler as a leader. I think we got beat by a better team. I have a lot of respect for the Blues organization, they have given a lot of the former Canadiens legends roles on their team. Doug Armstrong is a very respectable GM. The Blues were healthier than the Jets going into the series. They were built to compete this year, as they have also drafted very well.
Paul Maurice is going to face a lot of questions in the offseason about his abilities. In a one goal game, the goal that was the difference could have been challenged had Maurice not used his challenge in the first 30 seconds of the game. The lineup changes, division of playing time, the fact that the defense was never adjusted after poor performances, in spite of having considerable depth, and the failure to win a home game fall on the coach's shoulders, inevitably.
Chevy has some work to do. He has mortgaged twice on his team for postseason runs. Who stays and who goes depends on a lot on how contract negotiations go. I have some doubts that Maurice can coach younger players to their maximum output. I think the direction should be to get younger, faster, and create a tight team.
I do want to say this. Say what you want about Canadians and the playoffs, but the Blues got some good hockey out of their Team Canada players. It does bother me that the Jets don't have any local heroes on the team, players who have the hometown pride. Because every playoff there is a Manitoban in a key role to success, it seems.
But that's ma parole. I argue with lots of people on here, because I like to talk hockey. Lots of passionate fans on this site, we don't all see eye to eye, but we all want the Jets to win, it was an honour to talk hockey with you folks this season.

Very good points. And the continuous use of CSW when even ESW would have been a better option. What was gained by this move? ELL of course for the second line, which even a blind squirrel knows will not be effective. I am speechless at the required level of incompetence to pull this off.
It's going to be very tough following this going forward if serious changes are not made. Right now this team is basically guaranteed not to succeed.
---
In any case, thanks for the season everyone (especially WPGChief and Whilee for your analyses), and sorry about me being a broken record all the time. This is exactly the result, however, that I did not want. This is exactly what I have been whining against.

Thats going to happen if you reward Wheels the icetime that Ehlers and Laine are needing. Of course you cannot blame everything on Maurice but those guys can't get going if they are not given any opportunities.
I think our biggest weakness is our leadership. We are the most undisciplined team in the league. Our shift lenghts are too big on certain players. We take too many stupid penalties and we don't try enough different lines and combinations when things aren't working out. We've had two seasons to try to separate Wheels and Scheif and still haven't done it. Why can't we try to get chemistry built with different players?
Edit: I get often frustrated by Maurice but if we don't have any better options then keep him. No more old jerks. Try something new like Rikhard Grönborg.

Just some initial thoughts I'd consider if I owned TNSE -- that is to trade Wheeler, and Little, and go with youth. I also wouldn't sign Hayes. I may consider trading Buff as well, but have to think on that
one ?? These guys have all lost half a step, and will slow down more every year.

Also trade Trouba for a high 1st round pick- or a very good defenseman. I think I'd go for a high 1st rounder.

As for Maurice--I'm not quite sure he's the problem here ? but I'd give it some long hard thought as to whether or not to keep him. It may be his limit is to produce just a playoff team.

I'd semi-retool this team and go with youth --the Islanders have done well with their youth, and our old guys will start to slow down. Colorado has also done well with their young players.

With this same lineup a year older next year --can we expect any better than what we saw against St. Louis - I'd lean towards saying "no" to that.

In summary --there needs to be some soul searching done by Jet's management, and make some changes.

Losers + Hot Goalie = Winners

Page number: 15

Trouba for Floridas 13th?
(Sorry I know this isn't the Trade board)

They better be or it'll be another step backwards.

Agreed complete house cleaning needed.

Maurice has to be fired. It doesn't even matter how much of this is his fault but if there really is something broken in the locker room, we need to have a clean slate with everyone.
Not letting Maurice go after this performance would be another major mistake by the organization. It doesn't even matter if there are better options or not, we need a completely fresh start with a new coach regardless.

TNSE is nauseating when it comes to these apparent needed changes. I hope they pull the trigger but not gonna happen.

I thought it myself also and gotnit myself. If there is something wrong in locker room you should fire him. Ohterwise there is too much hill to climb.

Fresh start

It was already reported by Dreger as Laine and Ehlers.