Re: Vince Dunn

What surprises me is his willingness to throw his weight around. Want to see continued improvement offensively. Nice numbers this year but I want more out of him because I think he has the potential for much more.

He has the skill to be a very good player. Almost elite. He's a better left handed Shattenkirk.

He just has to figure out when to not take those high risks in the D zone because they can end up in the back of our net pretty quick.

Would be really cool to see him take another stepin this year's playoffs.

39hurricane wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:34 pm He has the skill to be a very good player. Almost elite. He's a better left handed Shattenkirk.
He just has to figure out when to not take those high risks in the D zone because they can end up in the back of our net pretty quick.
Would be really cool to see him take another stepin this year's playoffs.
Once he figures that out he will he a stud on defense.

I don't see him making an abundance of throw away passes, ala Petro. Nothing irks me more than to see a defenseman trying to emulate Pronger with a 60-70 foot pass to nowhere. They usually end up coming the other way. Skate with the darn puck!!!! Make a shorter pass when your target is in the clear and has a head of steam. Nothing kills a possession quicker than a lousy pass, and we tend to do that way more than necessary.

Theiceman wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:51 am I don't see him making an abundance of throw away passes, ala Petro. Nothing irks me more than to see a defenseman trying to emulate Pronger with a 60-70 foot pass to nowhere. They usually end up coming the other way. Skate with the darn puck!!!! Make a shorter pass when your target is in the clear and has a head of steam. Nothing kills a possession quicker than a lousy pass, and we tend to do that way more than necessary.
Yeah I want to see Dunn get bolder with the puck in terms of solo rushes up ice. I want him to consistently take charge of the puck & offensive rush. Hopefully the new kids on the block like Heiskanen, Quinn and Dahlin motivates him to take his game another level.

Theiceman wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:51 am I don't see him making an abundance of throw away passes, ala Petro. Nothing irks me more than to see a defenseman trying to emulate Pronger with a 60-70 foot pass to nowhere. They usually end up coming the other way. Skate with the darn puck!!!! Make a shorter pass when your target is in the clear and has a head of steam. Nothing kills a possession quicker than a lousy pass, and we tend to do that way more than necessary.
Petto drives me crazy with his passes in our zone. If he makes the short, "safe" pass, he does so, so timidly and slow, that the forechecker has a great shot at having a breakaway on plunge goalie. Why he continues to turn what should be a very safe ordinary pass into a heart stopping adventure, baffles me.

Dunn is never going to be the defensive stud....that for whatever reason everybody thinks you have to be. If you want the best from Vince Dunn we have to let him play his game and Vince is at his best when takes those risks to try and make a play. Dunn hasn't even completed his 2nd full season yet.....we haven't even seen the best he has to offer yet but you can see how good it's going to be.
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

NHLTIM wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:28 am Dunn is never going to be the defensive stud....that for whatever reason everybody thinks you have to be. If you want the best from Vince Dunn we have to let him play his game and Vince is at his best when takes those risks to try and make a play. Dunn hasn't even completed his 2nd full season yet.....we haven't even seen the best he has to offer yet but you can see how good it's going to be.
One thing he has in his favor, is he's not shy about taking the body.

NHLTIM wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:28 am Dunn is never going to be the defensive stud....that for whatever reason everybody thinks you have to be. If you want the best from Vince Dunn we have to let him play his game and Vince is at his best when takes those risks to try and make a play. Dunn hasn't even completed his 2nd full season yet.....we haven't even seen the best he has to offer yet but you can see how good it's going to be.
Can he reach the level of a Heiskanen or Quinn. I won’t even mention Dahlin because that’s a flat out no. But Heiskanen and Quinn are extremely impressive in their first year, even though Quinn’s just played a couple games you can see this kid is all world. IMO Dunn is a rung below these guys in potential. Agree or disagree?

Dunn has a winner’s attitude. I remember when he had his meltdown a few years ago and freaked out on the referee......a few idiots in the Asylum wanted to dump his ass right there. It may have been a little immature, but I’ll take a guy that hates to lose on my team 100% of the time.

I love the guy.....already told my daughter she has permission to marry him!

Completely agree. Offensive defensemen have never been more important than now. Every team needs one now a days.

He won't be a defensive stud, but he isn't shy to be physical. I can live with that as long as he continues to develop offensively and in transition.

ratonmono wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:23 pm
STLBlueshistory wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:32 pm I hope Dunn spends the summer at the Mike Weaver school of defense.
I'd rather send Bortz and Edmundson there. Dunn brings other skills to make up for lapses. Those two... not so much.
On the other hand, those two bring things to the table with their grit and physical play that Dunn doesn't provide.

I hope Vince Dunn continues to just be Vince Dunn. Did you like year two Vince Dunn? Wait until you see year four and five Vince Dunn.
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

NHLTIM wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:15 am I hope Vince Dunn continues to just be Vince Dunn. Did you like year two Vince Dunn? Wait until you see year four and five Vince Dunn.
Yup, agreed. Just let the kid develop as he ha has been. Trying to change his style will only make his development stall, IMO.

Dunn plays ok defense, but he could always improve. The best thing I’ve noticed from him is he seems to learn from his mistakes and he has the drive to make himself better. Not all players have that. He’s hungry and wants to win.