central division

When was there a tighter division in hockey?

We have 4 teams with 100 plus points points. The other three have 5 or 6 total. Forgot to look at the pacific.

The Avs. have 88 with a chance of getting 90.

Any body know the most points scored by a division losing team is?

Re: central division

rcbcmr wrote:When was there a tighter division in hockey?

We have 4 teams with 100 plus points points. The other three have 5 or 6 total. Forgot to look at the pacific.

Remember when the old North Stars got into the playoffs with 68 points and lost to the Pens in the SCF? Now you have 90+ point teams looking in. Crazy.

According to the Wikipedia machine, although I don't think this is what you're asking

Most Points Without Reaching Playoffs: 95, by the 2006–07 Colorado Avalanche and 2010–11 Dallas Stars

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NHL_records_(team)

bluetuned wrote:
rbartnik wrote:And thanks to our playoff system, at least two, and possibly three will be out in the first round.
I get that they wanted to build up the divisional rivalry thing, but that concept looks awfully stupid these days.
If they really want to fix it, they need to go to balanced scheduling and abolish conferences and divisions.

Until such point...it's always going to be this way.

Man in the box wrote:

Remember when the old North Stars got into the playoffs with 68 points and lost to the Pens in the SCF? Now you have 90+ point teams looking in. Crazy.

According to the Wikipedia machine, although I don't think this is what you're asking

Most Points Without Reaching Playoffs: 95, by the 2006–07 Colorado Avalanche and 2010–11 Dallas Stars

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NHL_records_(team)
Trying to find out what's the most points for a last place team. The Avs are at 88 with one to play. Could end up with 90 and will finish last in the central. Hell some people complain that their team got 90 points and missed the playoffs. What would they say if they came in last in their division?

This is the reason the Ducks don't scare me too much. The played in the weakest division in hockey. 2 of the 3 worst teams in the league came out of the pacific and if the Canucks lose their last game, there won't be a 2nd 100 point team in the divison. To be clear, I'm not saying the Ducks are not a good team, just that they are not as good as the record would have you believe.

Battra wrote:
bluetuned wrote:
rbartnik wrote:And thanks to our playoff system, at least two, and possibly three will be out in the first round.
I get that they wanted to build up the divisional rivalry thing, but that concept looks awfully stupid these days.
If they really want to fix it, they need to go to balanced scheduling and abolish conferences and divisions.

Until such point...it's always going to be this way.
But then Detroit would have to travel west of the eastern time zone like a couple more times. We can't have that.

Whiners.