Any old StL Braves fans here?

My family's first year in StL was 1966, last year of the Braves. They moved to Dallas when the Blues started the next year. Gus Kyle had moved to the Blues sales business and the coach that last year was Bobby Kromm. He later coached in the NHL and his son won Cup(s) with the Islanders.

I lucked into being one of the stickboys that final year of the Braves. (I tried to get on with the Blues but they had guys they wanted so my stickboy career was one season.) For a 15yo hockey freak in 1966-StL I was in hockey heaven that year.

The team that moved from StL to Dallas won the Central league championship in 1969. Through coincidence, my brother who lives inn Dallas ran into ex-Brave Doug Shelton a couple of years ago. Turns out the '69 Hawks decided to have a 50th year reunion this past weekend in Dallas and I was invited by Doug Shelton to join them. Eight former Dallas Hawks, 3 of whom played in StL were in attendance. Doug Shelton, Bryan Macdonald and Oscar Gaudet were the guys from the Braves. Goaltender Jack Norris was there, part of the Phil Esposito trade to Boston. Garth Rizzuto went on to be an original Vancouver Canuck and then played 5 years with Bobby Hull in Winnipeg. Backup goalie Ken Brown organized the event.

So we arrived at the Dallas / Chicago game in a party bus Saturday night and a Stars rep was there to shepard us to a fancy suite for the evening. The Stars guy was none other than Bob Bassen, now working for the Stars as alumni relations. We had a long talk and he said how much he loved playing in St Louis.

At the 10 minute mark of the 1st period during the TV timeout the Stars ran a tribute video for the Dallas Blackhawks 50th anniversary and introduced the returning players. It was a wonderful day of telling stories and reminiscing. It turns out that none of the players had seen each other in the years since playing together so it was very special.

That's it. Hope there are some other fossils out here that remember the pre-Blues days.

Re: Any old StL Braves fans here?

I am old but not quite that old. They left town because of the Blues b4 I was born.

Dallas does great job with history. Did you get a chance to go to the Texas hockey museum they have there? He no longer works for them but Jason Farris did a great job with the Stars to help get that created.

This is from March 15 1963 Braves program.

STLBlueshistory wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:50 pm 5.jpgI am old but not quite that old. They left town because of the Blues b4 I was born.

Dallas does great job with history. Did you get a chance to go to the Texas hockey museum they have there? He no longer works for them but Jason Farris did a great job with the Stars to help get that created.

This is from March 15 1963 Braves program.
also before my time, but I love the program, especially the advertising (the marketer in me): 'Active people go for Coke!"

also curious: Is Freund's Baking still around?

NM; Googled it myself:
Clipped from St. Louis Post-Dispatch, 04 Mar 1968, Mon, Page 36

Blasphemy that the bakery was sold to a Chitown company. Sounds like they kept them in operation as Freund's though. Wonder how long that lasted?
"Do Only Good Everyday"

I asked Oscar Gaudet if he played with Boom Boom Caron. He said no, but he played against him in Buffalo. Boom Boom was a big scorer here for the Braves. Great program. Phil Esposito on Braves roster.

Wondering about Don Cherry on Kingston roster. HockeyDB shows "The Don Cherry" playing elsewhere that year but he is from Kingston. Edit - Looked it up and it was Dick Cherry, Don's brother. In 66-67 Dick Cherry played for Ok City in the CPHL.

Also Pat Stapleton, Harry Sinden and future Blue Wayne Connelly on Kingston roster.

I thought it was cool to find out Phil Esposito played in St Louis. Just found that out not too long ago. What a pleasant surprise that was. As well as the Braves, had no idea they were here until I learned about Espo playing in St. Louis. We really lucked out the Hawks owner owned the arena here. With him wanting to sell that arena, it really pushed St Louis front and center for expansion.

STLBlueshistory wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:39 pm Let's not forget who coached the Braves.

Gus Kyle.
Gus was the coach from 63-66. The final year, Gus was not the coach but was in the Arena lobby in a booth selling Blues season tickets.

I loved Gus as the Blues radio guy, but I can tell you that the Braves people were very dismissive of him. Rivalries run deep so always helpful to take things with a grain of salt. One of many lessons I learned in the locker room that year. (The big one was not to say "Shutout" after the second period when your goalie has one working. I was young so coach Bobby Kromm decided not to execute me on the spot. Of course, the shutout lasted 1 minute into the third period.)

BillP. wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:19 pm I thought it was cool to find out Phil Esposito played in St Louis. Just found that out not too long ago. What a pleasant surprise that was. As well as the Braves, had no idea they were here until I learned about Espo playing in St. Louis. We really lucked out the Hawks owner owned the arena here. With him wanting to sell that arena, it really pushed St Louis front and center for expansion.
You are right about the Wirtz family. Had they not wanted to get rid of the Arena St Louis never would have gotten one of the 6 expansion teams.

BTW - The Arena prior to the Salomon's improvements was a total #$^@-hole. And I loved it.