Re: Ryan O’Reilly appreciation thread

The one guy on the team that stayed positive from beginning to end ------ ROR

Was it our captain? Hell no...............Pang just did an interview on TSN, said the Blues players were frustrated early in year. 7 new forwards, a lot of guys coming back to the bench and finger pointing. A lot of frustration going on. And then you had Alex Pietrangelo who's a different kind of leader, a quiet leader, more of a 1 on 1 guy. So the team had some things to work out..............so there it is, from Panger himself.

BillP. wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:38 am The one guy on the team that stayed positive from beginning to end ------ ROR

Was it our captain? Hell no...............Pang just did an interview on TSN, said the Blues players were frustrated early in year. 7 new forwards, a lot of guys coming back to the bench and finger pointing. A lot of frustration going on. And then you had Alex Pietrangelo who's a different kind of leader, a quiet leader, more of a 1 on 1 guy. So the team had some things to work out..............so there it is, from Panger himself.
That doesn't mean Petro is a bad captain, he's just a different kind of captain. You can have guys like Ryan O'Reilly, maybe Steen (I'm guessing), and others who are more vocal being assistant captains, but that person doesn't necessarily need to be captain. Petro seems to be the kind of captain who'd rather talk to you one on one then make a big scene. I know Petro hasn't had his best year, or, at times, hasn't been the physical or as emotionally charged up as people, several on this board, have wanted, but that doesn't make him a bad leader. I would agree with anyone here that would say O'Reilly would make a great captain, because he probably would, but I also think Schwartz (who's been reported to have a similar personality to Petro in how he addresses people) , or Tarasenko given ample time, or Schenn would make great captains. This team just needed someone to finally get them to put their bullshit aside and it seems that Berube has done that, I just hope that Armstrong finds a way to move on from Steen in the off-season and go back to the 4 A system because I think O'Reilly, Schenn, and Parayko have earned letters on their chests. You also don't need a symbol to tell everyone you're a leader either, which is evident this year more than ever.

I don't know. I guess I don't understand the hate Petro receives because he didn't show more emotion after Benn sat on him last year or because he has been having a bad year. There are times I've definitely been frustrated by him, but I've never thought he was a bad leader. I just really think he's a different kind of leader than Backes was before him. There doesn't seem to be anything negative really spoken about him either. He's never seemed to crop up in any of the rumors about locker room issues, like Steen or Oshie.

I'm not nearly concerned with his leadership skills, as I am with his tendency to make bad plays at critical times.
Players know who the leaders are. The C is just a letter. Who will Blues players listen to more attentively, Petro, or O'Reilly?
The Blues made Hull Captain in an effort to make him more team oriented, but I don't think anybody ever believed he was the leader of that team.