Re: Pietrangelo: What the heck

Alex Pietrangelo is officially the Marc Bulger of the Blues. Same stinkin thing. For years, the organization puts him on a pedestal but he doesn't belong there. Claimed he was elite but was not. Bulger was the same thing. For years, the Rams hitched up to Bulger and underperformed. Linehan actually would of made the playoffs his first year here if he had a true gunslinger. The 2007 team really wasn't that bad but Bulger sure was. For years the Rams passed up possible alternatives. They passed on Drew Brees as a free agent. They drafted Alex Barron instead of Aaron Rodgers, or they draft Chris Long instead of Matt Ryan. All because they thought Bulger was the guy? Please.............. And when it comes right down to it, as fans we rip the player, but it's the stupid organization's fault for not seeing the obvious. Pietrangelo = Bulger ...........same thing

NHLTIM wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:05 am
wannabebluesplayer wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:46 am
barnburner wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:41 am Not many will agree with me, but I'm of the opinion that we have the right guy behind the bench now. He's not flashy, but to me at least, his moves usually have common sense behind them. He doesn't panic, and from everything I've heard, these players really respect Berube because he is up front with everything, and doesn't bs them. I'm hard pressed to see what someone like Q could do better. I'm pretty sure Berube could have won 3 Cups with those Chicago teams. Q is a good coach, but he's no miracle worker.

Again, this is just my opinion, but from my perspective, Petro's failures started long before he became a father. His history since becoming a starter, is that he struggles against physical teams, and cannot seem to stay focused for an entire game. If Army can only make one move this offseason, it should be to get rid of Petro.
What makes you say he falters against physical teams? San Jose, Dallas, Minnesota (2x), Nashville, LA (2x), and Chicago (2x) all gave Petro a rough ride during the playoff series and he was still, arguably, the best player on the ice for those series except for the sweep by LA in which they KNEW to take him out of the game. I guess I'm curious, besides Benn sitting on him, what can you really point to where he folded because of teams playing physical against him? I guess I don't see it.
He was ok....was he the best player...I don't know about that. In those playoff series where we got knocked out in the first round...he didn't do anything besides eat minutes. He sure as heck didn't make a difference on the scoreboard. He's never been able to be that difference maker that we need. He played ok the first two rounds the year we went to the conf final and then we saw real difference maker in Brent Burns when they played San Jose, The same thing against Nashville....he was outplayed by Subban and little Ryan Ellis who looks like he stepped out of the Shire in a JR Tolkien novel.
That's my issue with Petro....he's never been able to raise his game to be that guy that could take us to the next level.
He's never had the offensive side, I'll grant you that, but Burns is nothing to write home about on defense. Vlasic, Thornton, and Pavelski are why the Sharks beat the Blues. It really didn't have anything to do with Burns. Burns has offense but not much else. I'm amazed at how Vlasic doesn't get more attention for his defense. Subban and Ellis are similar in that they have the offense, but I wouldn't take Ellis over Pietrangelo. I would take Subban but only in a limited basis. He seems very much like a look at me style player. Maybe that's changed a bit from Montreal to Nashville, but he definitely had that montra, especially with the diving acts he performed in those playoff series. The "hit" from Edmundson? No thanks on that from Subban.

Normally Tim, I definitely agree with you on many things. How Petro played in those series gets severely undervalued because his defense was superb. No, he didn't always contribute offensively and I am definitely with you that it's a part of his game that's severely lacking. However, that defense gets under valued because of the lack of offense, but the Blues had MANY players disappear offensively in the playoffs. Steen, Backes, Oshie, Schwartz, and the list goes on. Berglund (weird), Stastny, Fabbri, and Tarasenko were the ones who seemed to (outside of 91's series against San Jose).

I get why people would want Burns, Subban, Ellis, Doughty (especially) over Pietrangelo, but to me, there are only 5-7 defensemen in this league I'd take in crunch time over him right now. Karlsson, Doughty, Hedman, Jones, Josi, maybe OEL, if his "all about me attidude has changed" PK Subban, if he's fully healthy. That's not a big list.

There are several guys you didn't even name that I'd take over Petro without thinking twice about it. Matt Dumba, Nate Schmidt, Mark Giordano, Torey Krug and probably a lot more if I really think about it.
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

BillP. wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:19 am Alex Pietrangelo is officially the Marc Bulger of the Blues. Same stinkin thing. For years, the organization puts him on a pedestal but he doesn't belong there. Claimed he was elite but was not. Bulger was the same thing. For years, the Rams hitched up to Bulger and underperformed. Linehan actually would of made the playoffs his first year here if he had a true gunslinger. The 2007 team really wasn't that bad but Bulger sure was. For years the Rams passed up possible alternatives. They passed on Drew Brees as a free agent. They drafted Alex Barron instead of Aaron Rodgers, or they draft Chris Long instead of Matt Ryan. All because they thought Bulger was the guy? Please.............. And when it comes right down to it, as fans we rip the player, but it's the stupid organization's fault for not seeing the obvious. Pietrangelo = Bulger ...........same thing
I gotta agree, Bill. How Armyy can sit and watch Petro throw away soft passes to the opposition in his own end, game after game, Puck watch instead of keeping track of the opposing players in his end, etc, and not make a change, I do not understand.
The truth is, Parayko is our best dman now. I cringe everytime I see the puck hit Petro's stick, or the opposition have the puck in our end with Petro defending. He is consistently bad.

wannabebluesplayer wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:51 am
NHLTIM wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:43 am There are several guys you didn't even name that I'd take over Petro without thinking twice about it. Matt Dumba, Nate Schmidt, Mark Giordano, Torey Krug and probably a lot more if I really think about it.
Fair enough, I guess we just value defense over offense differently.
I just value difference makers and when your #1 dman's best skill is that he can eat minutes...that's a problem to me. You can find guys that can play a system and be just as valuable. Look at Vegas....there is no Petro on that defense and yet they win games.
I've said this many times.....I did not like Matt Dumba as a hockey player coming out of junior at all....thought he was very overrated. He is without a doubt one of my favorite players in the game now because he plays with passion every freaking game and I think a lot of that is what has made him the dman that he is at the NHL level. Granted...he hasn't stepped up and lead them in the playoffs yet but i'd still take him over Petro.

"Suck a dick Johansen"

wannabebluesplayer wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:58 am You can't hide Pietrangelo having a bad year. However, I don't think he's faltering under pressure. Triplets, new forwards, his 3rd coach in 3 years, a new defensive coach for the 3rd time in 3 years, and the first bad season of his career are all compounding issues but who the leadership of the team is woulnd't have changed the outcome of this season. Pietrangelo being the captain or not wouldn't change this team. Giving the C to O'Reilly or anyone else and trading Pietrangelo probably wouldn't galvanize this team into anything special. Pietrangelo and his leadership aren't the problem with this team. They are far from it. I know he struggled the last game, but look at this season as a whole. There has been so much turmoil, no one is having a consistent season. Also, where was this wilting under pressure during the playoffs those 6 years when he was arguably the best player on the ice for all of them and wearing an A for most? I really don't understand this narrative that he's the one faltering. Maybe...just maybe, he's being undermined by a bitter teammate?

This team needs a culture change in a bad way and it starts with the coach and staff, and arguably the GM. Hitch might have been a bear and had a boring system, but it was a winning system. His assistants new how to win, Shaw, Muller, Bennett, etc. That's all gone now. Yeo and Berube were students of Hitch but didn't have his knack for motivating players, even if those players hated him. Armstrong needs to find a coach that can inspire and lead these players again. He's had one miscue with Yeo hiring. Giving Berube the interim seemed only natural and a longer coaching search needing to be conducted instead of the rushed ham job that was Hitch and Yeo as coach in waiting. If the Blues get a coach who can reach the players again, I think you'll see a huge turn around, especially from some of the core. Also, that new coach has to have a strategy that aligns with the types of players this team has. The other part of the equation is the continued evolving of the roster. You don't just trade off pieces of your core thinking a shakeup will fix the team. If you're giving up on Tarasenko or Pietrangelo, then you need to be sure the guys coming in to replace them are a perfect fit and can play the role the others are vacating because as of right now, Parayko is close but not ready to replace 27 and no one on this roster can replace 91 when he's fully healthy.

As far as the Calgary trade, I have a sneaking suspicion it was Steen and not Pietrangelo. Armstrong seemed dead set on moving many of the struggling veteran forwards off this team, and you can argue Steen shouldn't be among them but I would bet he was the one who wouldn't waive. I couldn't stand the Steen extension. I still can't stand when he gets talked up. The dude is a cancer, a problem here, and a giant baby if the rumors are to be believed. To this day, I'm sad Armstrong signed that extension with him. If Steen isn't traded or off this roster before 91, 27, or practically anyone not named Bouw, Gunnarsson, or Maroon, then I'll probably stop being a Blues fan until Armstrong is gone.

I know I sound crazy and obsessive on Steen, but I never understood the love affair with this guy, but he's one of those "blue collar, hard-working, less skilled" athletes that St. Louis seems to love.
this is a great post, full of insightful opinions. however, that bolded part - doesn't that also work for the counter-argument? change all the variables around him, still see the same tendencies. doesn't that by definition make him the problem? just a thought.

regarding calgary, yes that is my recollection as well. i felt it was pretty well-known at the time that it was steen.

NHLTIM wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:20 am
NHLTIM wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:43 am There are several guys you didn't even name that I'd take over Petro without thinking twice about it. Matt Dumba, Nate Schmidt, Mark Giordano, Torey Krug and probably a lot more if I really think about it.
I just value difference makers and when your #1 dman's best skill is that he can eat minutes...that's a problem to me. You can find guys that can play a system and be just as valuable. Look at Vegas....there is no Petro on that defense and yet they win games.
I've said this many times.....I did not like Matt Dumba as a hockey player coming out of junior at all....thought he was very overrated. He is without a doubt one of my favorite players in the game now because he plays with passion every freaking game and I think a lot of that is what has made him the dman that he is at the NHL level. Granted...he hasn't stepped up and lead them in the playoffs yet but i'd still take him over Petro.
But you have to look at the team as a whole. You mention Vegas - well, they have Fleury - he was a legitimate difference maker in net.

The guy went 29-13-4 with a .927 save percentage.
The other goaltenders for Vegas went 22-11-3 with a .896 save percentage.

We don't have that.

I'm not saying that's the only reason but it's a pretty big difference.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:04 am He's apart of the problem not the solution. Send him to Toronto.
Lots of valid points made on this thread, but I think Wes's point above is the bottom line. There are many legitimate reasons why Petro may be struggling, but at the end of the day, he's at the center of a rotten core. Is it entirely fair to put all of the blame for the last season and a half on him? Probably not, but when you wear the C and lead the team in ice time, it's not entirely unfair either. There are a number of well documented issues with this team, from weak goaltending, to about 5 forwards having career low years, to some concerning regression from Dunn/Edmundson on the back end. I just don't think that keeping the status quo and eventually having to extend Petro for more money is going to help solve any problems.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

SpacemanSpiff wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:05 pm

But you have to look at the team as a whole. You mention Vegas - well, they have Fleury - he was a legitimate difference maker in net.

We don't have that.

Sure he's been great but he's also doing it with the defense that it's front of him. The statement back in the day used to be "Your goalie is only as good as the defense in front him". That might not be as accurate of a statement today but it was at one time.
As for Petro...It use to be "well we can't trade Petro....who would replace his minutes....we don't have anybody in the organization that can replace him". Vegas found an entire defense in a day or two.
It's just my opinion and i've never been the biggest Petro fan....we all know that. I just don't think he's needed and i've felt that way for quite a few years.

"Suck a dick Johansen"

NHLTIM wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:20 pm

We don't have that.

Sure he's been great but he's also doing it with the defense that it's front of him. The statement back in the day used to be "Your goalie is only as good as the defense in front him". That might not be as accurate of a statement today but it was at one time.
As for Petro...It use to be "well we can't trade Petro....who would replace his minutes....we don't have anybody in the organization that can replace him". Vegas found an entire defense in a day or two.
It's just my opinion and i've never been the biggest Petro fan....we all know that. I just don't think he's needed and i've felt that way for quite a few years.
I would agree to a point - but let's face it - if Vegas had a chance to trade any of their defencemen for Pietrangelo, they'd do it in a heartbeat.

Some teams spend on scoring, some spend on goaltending, some on defence. You need all of the pieces working together to have success - right now, none of the pieces are working for the Blues.

SpacemanSpiff wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:25 pm

We don't have that.

I would agree to a point - but let's face it - if Vegas had a chance to trade any of their defencemen for Pietrangelo, they'd do it in a heartbeat.

Some teams spend on scoring, some spend on goaltending, some on defence. You need all of the pieces working together to have success - right now, none of the pieces are working for the Blues.
I'll take Nate Schmidt right now if McPhee wants to make that deal. Also to that point....would McPhee really trade Schmidt for Petro? or is it just the legend of Petro that makes us believe they would? Schmidt is a pretty important player for them. Is Petro's value still what we think it is? I can honestly say...I really don't know if it's as high as we tend to think or hope it is. Guess we will have to wait and see if they do decide to trade him and what the return is. Even as fans, this time last year, the rumored return for Petro from a fan standpoint was somebody like Mitch Marner. A year later...and it's Kasperi Kapanen. That's just fan speak though so that doesn't mean much.
Good discussion by the way
Last edited by NHLTIM on Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Suck a dick Johansen"

We don't have that.

Well it won't be 1 for 1, but they might have that chance. Vegas is one of the rumored destinations for Schenn. I wonder if Petro would waive his NTC to go there.

Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:41 pm

Well it won't be 1 for 1, but they might have that chance. Vegas is one of the rumored destinations for Schenn. I wonder if Petro would waive his NTC to go there.
That's one way to kill the good times in Vegas and end their fun, trade them Pietrangelo :lol:

BillP. wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:45 pm

That's one way to kill the good times in Vegas and end their fun, trade them Pietrangelo :lol:
It's McPhee too....so he's probably throw in Cody Glass as well!

"Suck a dick Johansen"

NHLTIM wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:52 pm
BillP. wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:45 pm

It's McPhee too....so he's probably throw in Cody Glass as well!
Quick, somebody find out what Martin Erat is up to!

NHLTIM wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:40 pm

I'll take Nate Schmidt right now if McPhee wants to make that deal. Also to that point....would McPhee really trade Schmidt for Petro? or is it just the legend of Petro that makes us believe they would? Schmidt is a pretty important player for them. Is Petro's value still what we think it is? I can honestly say...I really don't know if it's as high as we tend to think or hope it is. Guess we will have to wait and see if they do decide to trade him and what the return is. Even as fans, this time last year, the rumored return for Petro from a fan standpoint was somebody like Mitch Marner. A year later...and it's Kasperi Kapanen. That's just fan speak though so that doesn't mean much.
Good discussion by the way
He traded Filip Forsberg for Martin Erat
Now now, the Canadian Government has apologized for Bryan Adams on SEVERAL occasions!

BillP. wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:28 pm I agree with Dave. I think Army was still in love with Petro last off season. And I think his love for Petro was still strong early this year. Finally, I would have to think that by now, Army's love for Petro is definitely being tested. If this doesn't break the marriage, nothing will.
I think army's heart, gut, hunch, needs to shut up. He's never right with his contracts. It's like Oprah giving away cars at this point, "you get an unnecessary contract, and you, and you!"

Petro thinks this isn't professional sports, and that he's a franchise player, he's a franchise pretender who most likey spoke to big about what he could do for the Blues.

I don't see Petro waiving his NTC for Vegas. Not with triplets at home who are still pretty young. I know they could afford a nanny to help the wife, but man, that's a lot to put on his wife. I don't see it. I also don't think Armstrong moves Schenn. Yes, he's struggled. Yes, he's the easiest to move, but that doesn't mean he should be the one to move. Army needs to try and get out from Maroon and Steen before he worries about another forward. Hopefully Stastny could convince McPhee to want Steen and take him away finally. Sorry, Steen rant over.

If Pietrangelo needs to be traded, I really do think McPhee would trade Schmidt for him. I get what you're saying Tim in wanting to see more passion and drive out of Pietrangelo, but I guess, I look at him like Lidstrom was (not saying Petro is anywhere near as good, I'm just speaking personality/attitude on the ice). Lidstrom was never overly emotional when I watched him play. He always seemed even keel, steady, and stalwart. He wouldn't let too much bother him, he just kept playing. Even if he made a gaff, which was rare, he seemed to brush it off and move on. Petro is having a down year, and you could want more offensively from him, but I think you could say the same about Parayko and Dunn as well. Petro is the #1D here because of that steadiness, at least in my opinion. Parayko exerts a lot of that same steadiness. He never seems to get too high, too low, or over react.

I'm not disagreeing with anyone that says we could use some improved Pietrangelo play, I am 100% on board with that. As the captain, he's needed to be MUCH better. What I disagree with is just moving him off this team because you think Parayko is ready to take over. You need to get a top 4 RHD back for him if that's what you do. Someone to backup Parayko because after those two, the cupboard is real thin. The only other thing I disagree with is saying he was only OK during those playoff runs. There were a lot of players on the Blues who were only OK during those playoff runs. I can remember most of the games being 1 goal games too where it was mostly the goaltending or lack of scoring that let the Blues down.

If it comes down to Petro being moved, I'm fine with that as long as the return includes a top 4 RHD. You need a backup to Parayko. But I will get back on my Steen soapbox for a second and say, Steen had better be traded first.

To TC, yes, that argument works for and against Petro. You're right on that, but I wonder what a completely different style of coach, i.e. not defensive first kind of thinking, would do for Petro. I think growing his game under Hitch has made him more hesitant on the offensive side of the puck. Because he was relied upon so much by Hitch, then Yeo and Berube for defense, I wonder if his offensive skills took a bit of a dive during his early years and he never regained it. Plus, he had Shattenkirk to provide a lot of offense for all those years. Then Parayko's rookie year happened as well. I don't know, I'm spit-balling guesses but I truthfully feel that the leadership group should be Petro and Tarasenko with Schenn, Schwartz, and O'Reilly, and you need to remove Steen from this team.

Steen should have been moved on from 3 years ago. Parayko is what he is at this point ....i mean he's got a whopping 13 freaking points, he's not even on pace for his normal 34 or so. He's got 5 assists so far this entire year...how the hell can that even be?
Dunn is only in year two.....he's still progressing and still leads our defensemen in points and that part of his game is only going to get better. Dunn is actually right where he should be...his potential was maybe top 4 dman someday. He's a good offensive dmen, 3rd pairing minutes and you get him PP time....that's Vince Dunn. I still don't understand why people think he needs to be Bobby Orr or complain about his mistakes when he hasn't even played two full seasons. He's still learning...has a long way to go. Also wouldn't be shocked if they moved him in a deal. He's still got lots of potential and I'm sure plenty of teams would be interested in him.
When I look at those Parayko stats....I do take a step back and think about it again, that maybe he's the one that needs to go. Regardless...we don't need both Petro and Parayko. We just need to make sure we get a top 4 RHD back if we move one of them.
Bottom line ...management went all in on building a puck moving defense they thought would win us a cup....that plan failed. We lost a lot of good locker room people and then depended on people not so good in the locker room to take over.....that's another fail.
Maybe Oshie was right when he said a couple of weeks ago "if we would have gotten another couple of kicks at it, I think we would have come through". Guess we will never know....

"Suck a dick Johansen"

We don't have that.

For most of his years he'd take a shot and wouldn't even come close to the net, how many times did we hear "petrangelo shoots high left. What a bullet." Got disgusted hearing it every game 5 times a game.

barnburner wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:57 am Maybe if Oshie had done less partying, and put out the same effort here, that he gave Washington........ To me, Oshie was a part of the problem here. He had his chance to help this franchise and threw it away. So for me, his opinion don't count for much.
I'm happy every time I see him get knocked down or look frustrated in any game. Can you tell I'm not over his lackluster performance here?