Re: Andrew Shaw

I'm surprised anyone expected a suspension since Jackman was barely phased by the attempt. Has there ever been a suspension based on intention?

I really hate Shaw. I wish our team head-hunted more. It seems like they're at such a disadvantage without pukes like Shaw. Or maybe I don't realize how dirty we are.

I find the way this play unfolded to be very revealing. Notice how far his feet come off the ice when he goes airborne. It looks awful, but in reality the same technique is used all the time on what appears to be "clean hits." If you launch yourself like a missile toward a 200-pound target, you won't fly through the air because the target absorbs all the energy. Your feet come a few inches of the ground, but that's supposedly okay because they were lifted only with the momentum of the check. But if you miss the 200-pound target (as Shaw did) there's nothing to stop your momentum and you fly like your coming off the ropes in a WWE match.

Same thing with the infamous chicken wing swipe Dustin Brown took at Schwartz a couple years back. Had he made contact, you wouldn't have seen the full motion of his elbow. It would have come up only to the point of making contact with Schwartz's head and wouldn't have been as accentuated and obvious. It would have still been an elbow, but Brown would have argued that he was trying to make a clean check and that his elbow got up a bit.

It's when they miss their mark that your really get a feel for just how nasty these plays are. And yet, they don't receive discipline because no one was hurt. The NHL needs to (1) focus more on intent and (2) find a way to cut back on the body armor that turns mortal humans into indestructible missiles.

zilch wrote:I'm surprised anyone expected a suspension since Jackman was barely phased by the attempt. Has there ever been a suspension based on intention?
I think so, but I dont have a specific one in mind. At any rate - there should be. If you are on the street and try to shoot somebody and miss, should you just go free?
Shaw could easily have done serious injury to Jackman. Possibly even killed him. It's beyond ridiculous that he didn't get a suspension.

zilch wrote:I'm surprised anyone expected a suspension since Jackman was barely phased by the attempt. Has there ever been a suspension based on intention?
Yes, just recently Byfuglien was suspended 4 games for a cross check to the head of JT Miller. Miller was fine and never missed a shift. They cited intent in their explanation video of his suspension.

The replay shows Shaw take four strides, then leaps in the air to body check Jackman. Even if you argue that the head was not the primary target (which I think it was), you still have to consider a disciplinary investigation for leaving his feet to check an opponent.

League discipline is wildly inconsistent and currently has zero credibility. I fear for small but bright future stars like Gaudreau and Fabbri. One reckless hit and a promising career is over. I have heard the "go watch soccer" comments from the neanderthals in the asylum, but I am all for a physical, hard checking game. I just think Shaw crossed a boundary that needs to be enforced consistently.