Wolves -Parayko

1-1 after the first period. Wolves going after their 8th in a row. Parayko scores his 3rd. His transition to the AHL has been beyond smooth. He and Lindbolm are future studs. Edmundson, Schmaltz and maybe Vannelli could make the Blues defense awesome. Bortuzzo has a bright future too.

Re: Wolves -Parayko

Going to be interesting. Long term contracts for Shatty Bouw and Pie.

Jax going to Ufa. Bouw has a NTC (I think, man I miss capgeek, RIP Matt)

I think we keep Bortz and Lindbohlm makes the squad next year.

(Would there ever be a time when the depth on the right and Shatty's play make Pie tradeable???)

39hurricane wrote:Going to be interesting. Long term contracts for Shatty Bouw and Pie.

(Would there ever be a time when the depth on the right and Shatty's play make Pie tradeable???)
Not yet; maybe a situation might unfold by 16/17 where they have enough confidence to move Petro, but he is one of our leaders, and honestly, the way he's played lately, I wouldn't want to move him.

JayBo was brought in to help Petro develop. The job is done and I think Petro plays better when he is the 'leader'...he defers to much when paired with JayBo it seems. If anyone should get moved, it is either JayBo or Gunner IMHO

D pairings I'd love to see next year:

Lindbohm/Petro
JayBo/Shatty
Jax/Bortz

Butler/Edmundson or other Minor call up or UFA 8th d-man.

Edit: and of course we keep Bortz, he's a RFA this summer and as I think IA pointed out, it will take like $700k to qualify, and he'd probably do a 2 year deal for $1M
"Do Only Good Everyday"

Our depth on the right side could be ridiculous in a couple of years with Petro, Shatty, Bort, Parayko, Schmaltz and Vannelli. I could see a situation where one of the last 4 from that list are moved for a LD prospect. I can't see a role at this point for Hakanpaa, and expect he will eventually go back to Europe. Behind JBo, Gunnar, Lindbohm and Jax we really only have Edmundson on the left side.

MissouriMook wrote:Our depth on the right side could be ridiculous in a couple of years with Petro, Shatty, Bort, Parayko, Schmaltz and Vannelli. I could see a situation where one of the last 4 from that list are moved for a LD prospect. I can't see a role at this point for Hakanpaa, and expect he will eventually go back to Europe. Behind JBo, Gunnar, Lindbohm and Jax we really only have Edmundson on the left side.
I thought Edmundson was a RHD? Or does he just shoot right and play left...or is NHL '13 backasswards? :twisted:
"Do Only Good Everyday"

MissouriMook wrote:Pretty sure Edmundson is a left shot.
From Hockey Futures...yes;

Joel Edmundson
HOMETOWN:
BRANDON MANITOBA
TEAM:
ST. LOUIS BLUES
CURRENTLY PLAYING IN:
PRO
BIRTHDAY:
1993-06-28
POSITION:
D
ELIGIBLE FOR DRAFT:
SHOOTS:
LEFT

DRAFTED:
HEIGHT:
6-5
ACQUIRED:
2ND ROUND (46TH OVERALL), 2011
WEIGHT:
208 LBS.

From Hockey DB, he is a righty, LOL

Joel Edmundson
Defense -- shoots R
Born Jun 28 1993 -- Brandon, MAN
[21 yrs. ago]
Height 6.04 -- Weight 200 [193 cm/91 kg]
Drafted by St. Louis Blues
- round 2 #46 overall 2011 NHL Entry Draft

curious from anyone who's seen him play?

he's throwing with the rights here in '12: [youtube][/youtube]

one more; shows him punching right and holding left, unless I'm looking at it wrong?

[youtube][/youtube]
"Do Only Good Everyday"

39hurricane wrote:Going to be interesting. Long term contracts for Shatty Bouw and Pie.

Why would you want to trade this team's anchor #1 defenceman, just when he's becoming consistently very good? How would we replace him? That doesn't make sense to me.

bradleygt89 wrote:
From Hockey Futures...yes;

Joel Edmundson
HOMETOWN:
BRANDON MANITOBA
TEAM:
ST. LOUIS BLUES
CURRENTLY PLAYING IN:
PRO
BIRTHDAY:
1993-06-28
POSITION:
D
ELIGIBLE FOR DRAFT:
SHOOTS:
LEFT

DRAFTED:
HEIGHT:
6-5
ACQUIRED:
2ND ROUND (46TH OVERALL), 2011
WEIGHT:
208 LBS.

From Hockey DB, he is a righty, LOL

Joel Edmundson
Defense -- shoots R
Born Jun 28 1993 -- Brandon, MAN
[21 yrs. ago]
Height 6.04 -- Weight 200 [193 cm/91 kg]
Drafted by St. Louis Blues
- round 2 #46 overall 2011 NHL Entry Draft

he's throwing with the rights here in '12: [youtube][/youtube]

one more; shows him punching right and holding left, unless I'm looking at it wrong?

[youtube][/youtube]
Just look up pictures of him on Google. Here's a picture. Left shot.

http://www.chicagonow.com/howlin-wolves ... ury-front/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bradleygt89 wrote:

Probably 95% of the guys that shoot left are actually right-handed.
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

wizard pork sword wrote:Being candid, Gunnarson has become useless here. No need for him to be in the future plans.
I completely agree with this regarding Gunnerson. I think that the Blues can move away from him and maybe even J Bow in the offseason and give a bigger role to Lindbohm. Hope the kid is ready for the NHL, the small sample size we have seen suggest he is close

NHLTIM wrote:
bradleygt89 wrote:

Supposedly, a right-handed person is better suited to shoot left and vice versa. Brett Hull is left-handed.

insideout wrote:
Supposedly, a right-handed person is better suited to shoot left and vice versa. Brett Hull is left-handed.
A little OT but has there ever been a notable player in the NHL who could play both right-handed and left-handed shots consistently like switch-hitters in baseball?

insideout wrote:
NHLTIM wrote:
bradleygt89 wrote:

It makes sense when you think about it. A lot of time is spent with one hand on the stick, if you're right handed you want to use a left shot stick so you're holding your stick/ reaching with your dominant hand.

I haven't seen the data to back this up, but I've heard a lot of Americans use a right shot stick. As a kid I know my dad (knows nothing about hockey) would always complain that I used the wrong stick, after all I batted and threw right handed. I imagine a lot of novice parents encourage right shots not knowing any better.

Avenge96 wrote:
insideout wrote:
NHLTIM wrote:

It makes sense when you think about it. A lot of time is spent with one hand on the stick, if you're right handed you want to use a left shot stick so you're holding your stick/ reaching with your dominant hand.

I haven't seen the data to back this up, but I've heard a lot of Americans use a right shot stick. As a kid I know my dad (knows nothing about hockey) would always complain that I used the wrong stick, after all I batted and threw right handed. I imagine a lot of novice parents encourage right shots not knowing any better.
Funny you ask, as I came across this article last night while getting lost Googling about Edmundson. Interesting stats, especially difference between Canadian and American players. One thing not brought up that I've heard before also is how we (Americans) play other sports before or as much as hockey, so develop different preferences.

It’s Not Political, but More Canadians Are Lefties - http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/16/sport ... .html?_r=0

EDIT: Oh yeah, it also answers the other question about playing both left and right and curved blade changes to the game: "Two Hockey Hall of Famers from the mid-20th century — wing Gordie Howe and goalie Bill Durnan — actually played ambidextrously."
"Do Only Good Everyday"

NHLTIM wrote:
bradleygt89 wrote:

That's too high. At least 10-12% of the population is left handed. I would guess 88-90%.

Unfortunately, I played baseball before I played hockey, so my Dad made the mistake of buying me a right curved stick as a kid (any coach worth his salt will tell you the opposite for a righty). Although I am right handed, shooting right has got me messed up a bit, as I play guitar left handed, because it seems more natural. Damn Mite Hockey...

Hockey Pete wrote:Unfortunately, I played baseball before I played hockey, so my Dad made the mistake of buying me a right curved stick as a kid (any coach worth his salt will tell you the opposite for a righty). Although I am right handed, shooting right has got me messed up a bit, as I play guitar left handed, because it seems more natural. Damn Mite Hockey...
They didn't have curves when I started :lol:

Hockey Pete wrote:Unfortunately, I played baseball before I played hockey, so my Dad made the mistake of buying me a right curved stick as a kid (any coach worth his salt will tell you the opposite for a righty). Although I am right handed, shooting right has got me messed up a bit, as I play guitar left handed, because it seems more natural. Damn Mite Hockey...
I'm a righty, but shooting with a righty stick is so weird. Doesn't even feel right.

Lefty shooter and goofy foot skateboarder right here. :mrgreen:

StL Dan wrote:
I'm a righty, but shooting with a righty stick is so weird. Doesn't even feel right.

Lefty shooter and goofy foot skateboarder right here. :mrgreen:
Righty here, who also shoots right. Parent's didn't know any better. :lol: But I'm not exactly 100% a righty either I'm rather ambidextrous so shooting right feels 100% correct to me and shooting lefty is fine but I get way more mustard on my right hand shot,