Re: O’Reilly Trade - Mini Update

barnburner wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:56 pm I think ROR has eadily been our best all around player. In fact, the best all around forward we've had in a very long time. He works hard at both ends of the ice, is fantastic at faceoffs, and gives a Barclay Plager effort, shift after shift.
I agree he has been our best and hardest working player. I also think Schenn is second on the team in those categories. If the rest of the team put in the effort these two do, we wouldn't be concerned about the season.

BillP wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:01 pm
CaptSMRT wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:21 pm O'Reilly is the kind of hockey player you need to win in the playoffs.
Good call.

He's motivated to be a Blue and believes he came to a winner, so I'm hoping he doesn't end up disappointed.
He has that extra step you need to set up plays, and he likes to shoot...seems like a lot of the centers that have beaten the Blues over the years.

CaptSMRT wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:32 pm
barnburner wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:27 pm If he had played all these years for the Rangers, Kings, Red Wings, or Canadians, he would already be a legend.
Schenn, O'Reilly, and Bozak are the best group of centers this team has seen in a long time...(ever)
Yeah, I'm hard pressed to think of any group of three centers on any Blues team that measures up to those three.

barnburner wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:37 pm
barnburner wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:27 pm If he had played all these years for the Rangers, Kings, Red Wings, or Canadians, he would already be a legend.
Schenn, O'Reilly, and Bozak are the best group of centers this team has seen in a long time...(ever)
Yeah, I'm hard pressed to think of any group of three centers on any Blues team that measures up to those three.
We've had some really good centers before on the same team, but none that were all in their prime like we have now, and IMHO, you can add Barby and Thomas in that mix too for their role as a 4th line center. Just great depth down the middle.
"Do Only Good Everyday"

Speed, skill, face off domination, shooting...what else do you want?

Don't you remember what Dougie said after he swung the O'Reilly deal? He said he's partial to big Centers and he still gives nod to the Backes, Arnott, Berglund trio as the best group he's had since he's been here.

Seriously, if you talk about Blues history, I mean Federko, Gilmour, Wickenheiser and Meagher was pretty damn good and 2 future Hall of Famers to boot. Even the 1 year the Blues had Unger, Derek Sanderson, Red Berenson and Larry Patey was darn good. Just sayin...……..

BillP wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:16 pm

Don't you remember what Dougie said after he swung the O'Reilly deal? He said he's partial to big Centers and he still gives nod to the Backes, Arnott, Berglund trio as the best group he's had since he's been here.
Backes and Arnott were pretty good, I'll take the guys we got now.

UMSLBlues12 wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:14 am Sounds like TT is struggling quite a bit in Buffalo. Been a scratch in 4 of the last 6 games. Berglund and Sobotka, meanwhile, have 3 points in 22 games combined.

Cannot believe how much of a steal this trade was.

https://www.diebytheblade.com/2018/11/2 ... alo-sabres
IMHO, we haven't seen the best of TT yet, and don't forget the two draft picks and, effectively, a LOT of cash to cover ROR's signing bonus, as well.

I still think the trade favors us, especially as amazing as ROR's been so far this season, but it's not as lopsided as it seems at the moment.

RAFritchey wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:06 pm
UMSLBlues12 wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:14 am Sounds like TT is struggling quite a bit in Buffalo. Been a scratch in 4 of the last 6 games. Berglund and Sobotka, meanwhile, have 3 points in 22 games combined.

IMHO, we haven't seen the best of TT yet, and don't forget the two draft picks and, effectively, a LOT of cash to cover ROR's signing bonus, as well.

I still think the trade favors us, especially as amazing as ROR's been so far this season, but it's not as lopsided as it seems at the moment.
It was a good trade for both teams. Eventually Sobotka and Berglund will get flipped for picks as well. Buffalo did fine. They got Eichel & Dahlin, no need to feel sorry for them.

The line of Berglund, Larson and Girgenson is apparently playing very well as the possession numbers are just crazy when they're out on the ice. Trouble is they haven't gotten rewarded on the score sheet for their efforts.