Re: GDT: St Louis Blues @ Toronto - 6:00 10/20 - JayBo and Thomas Pressboxed

NHLTIM wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:04 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:56 pm Listening to the post game on the radio and they are RAVING about Vince Dunn and adding that he allows Petro to just play his game whereas JayBo and Eddy don’t have that ability, just simply for his ability to control the puck and push up ice
Dunn was straight up outstanding tonight.
Sure was. That’s how this team is supposed to play. Very promising game.

Beatoni12 wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:00 pm
NHLTIM wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:04 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:56 pm Listening to the post game on the radio and they are RAVING about Vince Dunn and adding that he allows Petro to just play his game whereas JayBo and Eddy don’t have that ability, just simply for his ability to control the puck and push up ice
Dunn was straight up outstanding tonight.
Sure was. That’s how this team is supposed to play. Very promising game.
Hmmmmmmmm...seems like this was suggested on a certain podcast and then ridiculed...then proven to be a good idea.

And so it goes...

I know it's only one game, but I honestly think Bouwmeester's been the problem all along, including for most of last season. I know he's a veteran guy, and any coach would want to give the benefit of the doubt to a guy who's shown the skill, knowledge, experience, and resilience in the past, but I think he's not just 'past his prime,' I think he's declined to the point where he's a disruption to the entire team flow, even as a potential bottom-pairing guy.

Maybe I'm wrong. Like I said, this is just one game, and maybe the coaching staff made some other changes, but Thomas' 8-9 minutes vs. JBo's 21 (and being in a virtual tie for highest ES ATOI on the team) makes me think the bigger difference was Bouwmeester.

After a game like that, I think you keep the exact same lineup again, unless someone's banged up and needs to rest a little. Sure, I'd like to see Thomas back in there sooner rather than later, but I'd say Barbashev earned another start, and seems to have rewarded the coaches' confidence with his defensive play both on the PK, and in the final minutes of the game. Toronto's PP was running at (if I'm back-calculating right) 45% before tonight (9 for 20, no SHG given up), and we stoned them 4 times and potted a shortie to boot.

Not a perfect game by any stretch, but probably the best we've seen this season by far!

RAFritchey wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:15 pm
MissouriMook wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:52 pm
barnburner wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:20 pm Parayko on the second pairing, while Edmunson is the third????????
On what planet does that make sense?
Maybe the planet where they're looking to manage Edmundson's minutes?
Edmundson has only played 4 games since returning from injury, and only one of those was more than 19:10 total ice time, even though he's seeing a lot of PK time on average, as well.

With Bouwmeester's nearly 21 minutes/game out, including his PK time (He's 2nd on the team in shorthanded ATOI), I think you'll see plenty of time to be shared with Schmaltz, Dunn, and Edmundson (I don't see much increase in Pietrangelo or Parayko, they're already #1 and #2 respectively in ATOI). Borts, to me, is the wild card. Will he play more than 10-11 minutes? If not, I think PIetrangelo gets the extra ES ice time.

I expect to see the pairings run fairly evenly 5-on-5 (Depending on Bortuzzo), with the PP time going to Dunn, Pietrangelo, Parayko, and maybe some for Schmaltz and/or Edmundson, and the PK to be mostly Pietrangelo, Edmundson, Borts and Parayko.
Looks like the ES TOI tonight (If I'm calculating right, it's late!):

Parayko ~15:45
Pietrangelo ~15:10
Schmaltz 14:56
Edmundson ~14:45
Dunn ~14:00
Bortuzzo ~13:45

Of course, special teams time jumps Edmundson, Dunn, and Borts ahead of Schmaltz overall, but even strength, it looks fairly balanced.

After a night's sleep, it was indeed a great game to watch. Nice to see that kind of effort up and down the lineup, playing sound smart hockey. As much as I hate to take away from that, we shouldn't forget the possibility that Toronto came in expecting to throw their sticks on the ice and win against a team that was floundering and in disaray. I want to see how things go against the Jets before I climb off my "Fire Yeo" ladder.

barnburner wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:23 am After a night's sleep, it was indeed a great game to watch. Nice to see that kind of effort up and down the lineup, playing sound smart hockey. As much as I hate to take away from that, we shouldn't forget the possibility that Toronto came in expecting to throw their sticks on the ice and win against a team that was floundering and in disaray. I want to see how things go against the Jets before I climb off my "Fire Yeo" ladder.
Yes. The Winnipeg game is my yardstick.

For perhaps the first time, I was very impressed with Schmaltz last night. Made a few mental errors but overall thought he coped well with Toronto’s speed.

After watching the way Dunn played with Petro I agree that JBo was perhaps a bigger problem than we even thought. There were a few breakout passes that Dunn and Petro conjured up together that JBo simply isn’t able to do. There was one (I think in the first) where Petro was pressured, he sent the puck along the boards to Dunn, who was also pressured. Instead of trying to muck along the boards Dunn made a quick pass off the wall and sprung a 2 on 1. JBo at this point can’t make either of those plays.