Re: Nate Silver on Overtime/the loser point

I hate, hate, hate three point games/loser points. The fact that certain games are simply worth more in points is yet another reason the NHL is a joke of a league. Fantastic sport, terrible league it's so disappointing.

If I had my way I'd just cut straight to the shootout after regulation. 2 points for win 0 for loss. Teams with bad shooters/weak goalies on breakaways, would have to push harder to score near the end of a tied game because they would have no guaranteed points to get out of the game. The NHL's logic for awarding at least a point for going to OT is truly mind boggling.

CaptSMRT wrote:The NHLPA will never go for this. This is such an easy problem to fix...1 point for a win in OT...zero points for a tie...it is a simple fix.
This gets rid of the play for OT problem, but a win is a win. I don't think you should earn less points just for winning in OT. All games just need to be worth the same amount of points. I'm fine with either 2 points for a win, 0 for a loss no matter what, or the 3 point system used in the Olympics. I wouldn't be surprised if the NHL would be willing to go with the 3-point system in the future.

Puck wrote:
CaptSMRT wrote:The NHLPA will never go for this. This is such an easy problem to fix...1 point for a win in OT...zero points for a tie...it is a simple fix.
This gets rid of the play for OT problem, but a win is a win. I don't think you should earn less points just for winning in OT. All games just need to be worth the same amount of points. I'm fine with either 2 points for a win, 0 for a loss no matter what, or the 3 point system used in the Olympics. I wouldn't be surprised if the NHL would be willing to go with the 3-point system in the future.
There needs to be a disincentive for going to OT.

CaptSMRT wrote:
Puck wrote:
2points to ot winner 1 point ot loser

1point so winner 0 point so loser
Now now, the Canadian Government has apologized for Bryan Adams on SEVERAL occasions!

ratonmono wrote:
I'llBeBackes wrote:I personally like the- 3 points for regulation win, 2 points for OT win, 1 point for OT loss- system. It seems like it would encourage teams to win in regulation so they do lose a point.
Yeah if we keep the OT the way it is this is the only logical way to determine points.
I like that idea too and yes, that is logical. But in the NHL logic is seldom used.

CaptSMRT wrote:
Puck wrote:
If it was a 2 point win no matter what, 0 point for OTL, that would be incentive enough to win in regulation.

The 3 point system is a little more complicated though. There isn't necessarily a disincentive for going to OT, but the stakes are higher for winning in regulation. A regulation win would be worth more than an overtime win and would 2 points more than an overtime loss. Regulation wins would be far more valuable rather than regulation wins simply being a tie-breaker.

Either way, I agree with Nate Silver on this, the system does need to change. I just think every game needs to be worth the same amount of points.