Player quotes on lack of Blues urgency

JR put a piece up on the Atheltic about Yeo's comments that the team lacks urgency and then he asked the players about it. Below are a portion of some of their quotes.

https://theathletic.com/599019/2018/10/ ... ayers-why/

Joel Edmundson

“I just think we’re coming into some games thinking it’s going to be an easy night. In this league, there are no nights off anymore. We’re playing soft."

Pat Maroon

“We’re not keeping it simple and doing the right things as a team. I feel like we’re not on the same page. One line goes out there, gets the puck in and grinds it down low, but then I feel like the next line is playing lateral instead of north-south hockey. One line does it and the next three lines aren’t doing it — we’ve got to find ways to have every line doing the same thing."

Alexander Steen

“That’s what we’re trying to resolve and get sorted out right now. There are a lot of variables as to where you are in your game and what type of identity you have. But the one thing that we’re lacking to get to that point is that extra work ethic to push us in the right direction."

Colton Parayko

“I think part of it is we have a really good team in here. I don’t know if we’re trying to respect each other too much, or maybe we just think we can get it done with the players that we have."

Alex Pietrangelo

“I don’t have an answer for you (on why there hasn’t been any urgency), but there needs to be urgency now because we’re not winning hockey games. We’ve got to not wait for that next guy to do it. Everyone has to go out there every shift and make a difference. When you have as many good players as we have, you’ve got to come together quickly to be effective every single shift. I think we’ve done a lot better things the last couple of games than we were the first couple of games, but it’s still not there. We’re giving points away that we don’t need to give away.

“But we had a good conversation today, and practice was hard, so I’m expecting a good response on Saturday.”
Just a Russian propaganda account

Re: Player quotes on lack of Blues urgency

LOL at Petro.....yeah...6 games in...guess we better show some urgency now since we aren't winning. WHY NOT SHOW URGENCY ALL THE FUCKING TIME YOU GODDAMN FLIPPING IDIOT OF A CAPTAIN.
All right....rant over. Carry on with your day.
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

Colton Parayko

“I think part of it is we have a really good team in here. I don’t know if we’re trying to respect each other too much, or maybe we just think we can get it done with the players that we have."
You don't flip a switch and make team chemistry or a sense of purpose...it has to develop...and maybe if people stop wetting their pants for a min it will.

Yeo has zero control of the situation. I heard him this morning saying we aren't winning the battles, got to be better, blah blah blah. Sounds like Yeo is staying the course with the players and expecting them to work thru this. IMO this is not going to work, and it'll be more of the same. Total fail on DA if he lets this fester to the point that the Blues have to big a hole to climb out of.

Honestly I don't care what they're saying at all. It wouldn't matter if they said the exact "right" thing or the exact "wrong" thing. They all go through media training so they're just mindless quote-bots in these situations. I like JR, but this was a completely unnecessary story. What shows up Saturday night is the only response that means anything.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:09 am Pat Maroon

“We’re not keeping it simple and doing the right things as a team. I feel like we’re not on the same page. One line goes out there, gets the puck in and grinds it down low, but then I feel like the next line is playing lateral instead of north-south hockey. One line does it and the next three lines aren’t doing it — we’ve got to find ways to have every line doing the same thing."
Maybe its just me, but I find this kind of attitude disturbing. There is absolutely no reason why every line on the team has to play the same way. Every forward on the team has different strengths and weaknesses. Its up to the coach to design a structure for all forwards to play in, and put them together into lines accordingly, in a way that allows every individual to do what they do best. It is this backwards-assed, old school way of thinking that turns scorers into grinders and neuters your potential, because a coach isn't going to demand that the slow grinders on the team play a fast, creative game, they're going to demand that the fast, creative players play a slow, grinding game.

MissouriMook wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:55 am

Maybe its just me, but I find this kind of attitude disturbing. There is absolutely no reason why every line on the team has to play the same way. Every forward on the team has different strengths and weaknesses. Its up to the coach to design a structure for all forwards to play in, and put them together into lines accordingly, in a way that allows every individual to do what they do best. It is this backwards-assed, old school way of thinking that turns scorers into grinders and neuters your potential, because a coach isn't going to demand that the slow grinders on the team play a fast, creative game, they're going to demand that the fast, creative players play a slow, grinding game.
sometimes coaches put quotes out in the media because they know the players will see them. sometimes the players say things because they know the coach will hear them.

i classify this as the latter. all of them. 100% on yeo, and if he doesn't recognize that he's lost the room, he's tone deaf.

T.C. wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:58 am
MissouriMook wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:55 am

sometimes coaches put quotes out in the media because they know the players will see them. sometimes the players say things because they know the coach will hear them.

i classify this as the latter. all of them. 100% on yeo, and if he doesn't recognize that he's lost the room, he's tone deaf.

Yeo lost the room...that is impossible.

If you want to see hockey players who are passionate about the game & committed to their teammates, take in a Lindenwood Lady Lions game out in Wentzville. I attended their home opener on Friday night, and I got more enjoyment out of that 63+ minutes of game play than from the half-dozen Blues games so far this season. Those young women skate hard every shift & don't let bigger/stronger teams push them around without pushing back. Plus admission is free, which is - what - a million bucks cheaper than going to watch the Blues?