Goalie Moving Forward

The sky is falling, as it has every april since we finally started making the playoffs again. Now i'm just kidding...kind of..but while im seeing literally every aspect of the team get blamed (the problems goaltending, the problems the D, the problems the scoring, the problems the core, the problems hitch,) one question I have is, if the team fails in the playoffs, what in the world happens to goaltending?

It's early to be asking, but it seems we've exhausted all of our options. If Ells flounders in round one, how can he stick around? Especially if we potentially see coaching changes and forwards getting moved?

So what I'm really asking is what does everybody here think will happen if that scenario plays out, and if Ells IS gone, who would the Blues get to replace him (who would do any better)?

Re: Goalie Moving Forward

I think if Elliott plays like shit in the playoffs he will get moved for whatever DA can get in return. It doesn't really matter who is brought in to replace him, it will be Allens job to lose next year. My god have mercy on all of Blues fandom if Jake isn't up to the task

UMSLBlues12 wrote:IF Elliott fails badly then I wouldn't be opposed to trying to pick up Cam Ward. He's been down the journey before and still has a bit left in the tank.
The good news about Elliott is that his contract is reasonable so if we need to move him we shouldn't have a terrible problem in doing so. I've gone back and forth over Ward for this team. On one hand he has the experience, but on the other hand he's just as inconsistent as Elliott over the last five years if not more so. I think he's likely to be available but don't want to see the Blues waste valuable assets on yet another overpaid veteran goalie that may or may not be a difference maker. This franchise needs to stick with and develop a goalie IMO. Allen's got great potential and his game is rounding into form at the end of the season here. Allen is my guy going forward. Elliott can back him up next season.

Allen since the All Star break: 6-1-2, .917, 2.08
Elliott since the All Star break: 11-9-1, .907, 2.57

One goalie has been playing quite a bit better than the other for a little bit now. Not trying to start a whole debate on this sort of thing but...the direction Elliott is trending in is concerning.

UMSLBlues12 wrote:Allen since the All Star break: 6-1-2, .917, 2.08

One goalie has been playing quite a bit better than the other for a little bit now. Not trying to start a whole debate on this sort of thing but...the direction Elliott is trending in is concerning.
Hitch, Armstrong et al are in a jam.

What to do? What...to...do?

Go with the 'hot hand'? Go with a kid who's stats have been great, but is an unproven PO participant? If he plays in the POs and the Blues get embarrassed, Hitch will be torched for not going with a veteran in Moose.

If Jake plays great and the Blues advance, then Hitch is a praised for his nerves of steel.

StL Dan wrote:
UMSLBlues12 wrote:Allen since the All Star break: 6-1-2, .917, 2.08

Hitch, Armstrong et al are in a jam.

What to do? What...to...do?

Go with the 'hot hand'? Go with a kid who's stats have been great, but is an unproven PO participant? If he plays in the POs and the Blues get embarrassed, Hitch will be torched for not going with a veteran in Moose.

If Jake plays great and the Blues advance, then Hitch is a praised for his nerves of steel.
I think right now they're playing Jake in order to rest Ells and light a fire under his arse.

But I'm just a guy on the outside.

insideout wrote:I said it in another thread, but this could be the very rare exception where it actually makes sense to go with a tandem in the playoffs. Only once during the entire season did Elliott start more than 4 consecutive games.
It worked well when the Blues had two "scrubs" named . . . Glenn Hall and Jacques Plante. :D :D :D