Re: 30 years ago today

barcthespark wrote: Actually TC, the Blues have been doing that since the beginning. In the 60's they built their teams using future HHOFers well past their prime, including coaxing at least one out of retirement. They continued in the 70's, 80's, and 90's with players like Derek Sanderson, Guy Lapointe, Phil Housley, Peter Stastny, Glenn Anderson, Dale Hawerchuck, etc.

The Blues have a long history of trading for previous Cup winners and trading away future Cup winners.
Good point, although as Blues fans, those of us who were around at the time, got to see two of the greatest goalies of all time, Glenn Hall and Jacque Plante in goal, while still performing at an elite level. That was really, really special.

JMC-STL wrote:
barnburner wrote:As best I recall without checking, none of the players we gave up for Gretzky ever amounted to much.
Craig Johnson played another 7 seasons with the Kings, putting up respectable offensive numbers to close out his career. Patrice Tardif & Roman Vopat, neither lasted long.
Good catch. Forgot about Johnson. Still, that's a trade you make without blinking. At the time, there was much more anguish among Blues fans about losing Vopat, who was considered to be a bright prospect.

39hurricane wrote:Which trade was worse:

The future to Vancouver for Garth Butcher and misery

or

The Future to LAK for Gretzky and more misery?

I say the Vancouver trade because Ronning and Courtnall were beasts for years after that. Butcher and Quinn not so much.

Ronning, Courtnall and Momesso............a whole freaking line traded away to bring Garth Butcher here. My goodness, I love Sutter but he was out of his mind with that deal. Blues would of taken the North Stars (and subsequently the Oilers) down that year and made the SC Finals against Pittsburgh. No doubt in my mind.

BillP wrote:

Ronning, Courtnall and Momesso............a whole freaking line traded away to bring Garth Butcher here. My goodness, I love Sutter but he was out of his mind with that deal. Blues would of taken the North Stars (and subsequently the Oilers) down that year and made the SC Finals against Pittsburgh. No doubt in my mind.
Ummm No.

You forget who our Goalie was that season. Vincent Riendeau.

STLBlueshistory wrote:
BillP wrote:

Ummm No.

You forget who our Goalie was that season. Vincent Riendeau.
Still they make the finals. You forget we had Scott Stevens on D. Best team in league at the time before the trade. They lost a lot of speed trading away Courtnall and Ronning. And Momesso was a fit for Hull's line. Vinny wasn't an All-Star but he was good enough to get thru the West that year. Average Save Pct. that year was .886 and Vinny was .892. And Blues swept Edmonton during regular season, the same Oiler team that lost to Minny in 5. Nah, I think the Blues make the Finals that year for sure.

Even Hull, when asked what Blues team had it's best shot, he'll reference the 90-91 team. He's being kind and doesn't say anything about the trade, but instead he says if we win Gm 6 in Minnesota, then I think we move on. But that trade just ruined a great season that team had going.

BillP wrote:
39hurricane wrote:Which trade was worse:

The future to Vancouver for Garth Butcher and misery

or

The Future to LAK for Gretzky and more misery?

I say the Vancouver trade because Ronning and Courtnall were beasts for years after that. Butcher and Quinn not so much.

That trade deserves an Oscar for worst Blues trade of all times.

T.C. wrote:that's funny. i was just talking to my wife about venture the other day. don't remember why it came up. oh yeah, we were in kohl's which was a goddamn nightmare. i said, "where the hell did all these people shop before kohl's existed?" i guessed TJMaxx or venture.

i didn't really start watching hockey on purpose until i moved back to STL in '96. my wife at the time worked at spag factory on the landing. gretz and janet came in. she brought home his autograph for me on a napkin. i no longer have it, but she said he was super nice and his wife was super twatty. anyway, i started watching the blues just in time to see one of the greatest of all time play and promptly be sent on his way. before that, i lived in tampa when the lightning started and watched a couple games. i remember thinking it was ridiculous that tampa had a hockey team, that they wouldn't last. i'm a regular kreskin.
Venture, or Zayre's, or maybe Grandpa's

netboy65 wrote:
T.C. wrote:that's funny. i was just talking to my wife about venture the other day. don't remember why it came up. oh yeah, we were in kohl's which was a goddamn nightmare. i said, "where the hell did all these people shop before kohl's existed?" i guessed TJMaxx or venture.

i didn't really start watching hockey on purpose until i moved back to STL in '96. my wife at the time worked at spag factory on the landing. gretz and janet came in. she brought home his autograph for me on a napkin. i no longer have it, but she said he was super nice and his wife was super twatty. anyway, i started watching the blues just in time to see one of the greatest of all time play and promptly be sent on his way. before that, i lived in tampa when the lightning started and watched a couple games. i remember thinking it was ridiculous that tampa had a hockey team, that they wouldn't last. i'm a regular kreskin.
I miss the old Grandpa'store on Colinsville road on the east side, more than any of those stores. They had the best prices on fishing tackle, and lures than anybody.
I bought a Yamaha Classical guitar there in the early 70s for $135. Still plays as good as it did when brand new.

barnburner wrote:
netboy65 wrote:

I miss the old Grandpa'store on Colinsville road on the east side, more than any of those stores. They had the best prices on fishing tackle, and lures than anybody.
I bought a Yamaha Classical guitar there in the early 70s for $135. Still plays as good as it did when brand new.
That store was awesome. Huge musical instruments section. I spent a lot of time there as a kid.

LOL..I also remember it well. Gretzky & Magic Johnson were on the cover of Sports Illustrated & Magic said, "I'm definitely going to get season tickets"!

He did great his first year in L.A.but it was mostly downhill from there. A couple years later he did have a strong Cup run but they ultimately lost to the Habs.

I remember Art Holiday did sports on Channel 5 & he did the Gretzky trade as breaking news! :D

netboy65 wrote:
T.C. wrote:that's funny. i was just talking to my wife about venture the other day. don't remember why it came up. oh yeah, we were in kohl's which was a goddamn nightmare. i said, "where the hell did all these people shop before kohl's existed?" i guessed TJMaxx or venture. ...
My Dad was a regular shopper up through the 1970s @ GrandPa's (Rock Road) and E.J. Korvette (Cool Valley). Us kids refused to go with him. My Mom's favorite memory of GrandPa Pidgeon's (original brand name) was that they stocked false teeth in barrels back in the '50s & '60s. :o
Last edited by JMC-STL on Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JMC-STL wrote:
netboy65 wrote:
T.C. wrote:that's funny. i was just talking to my wife about venture the other day. don't remember why it came up. oh yeah, we were in kohl's which was a goddamn nightmare. i said, "where the hell did all these people shop before kohl's existed?" i guessed TJMaxx or venture. ...
My Dad was a regular shopper up through the 1970s @ Grandpa's (Rock Road) and E.J. Korvette (Cool Valley). Us kids refused to go with him. My Mom's favorite memory of Grandpa Pigeon's (original brand name) was that they stocked false teeth in barrels back in the '50s & '60s. :o
Yep. Anything and everything! Grandpa Pidgeon's remains my favorite store of all time. I bought the original Lews Speed Spool casting reel there for $25. Used it regularly for 20 years.
The strange thing is that you would assume they would sell a lot of "seconds", or defective stuff, and maybe they did, but I never had a bad experience with anything I bought there,and I was a regular customer.

BillP wrote:
FederkoSutterHunter wrote:
I remember Art Holiday did sports on Channel 5 & he did the Gretzky trade as breaking news! :D
Art Holiday or Art Vandelay?
200.gif
No, it was Art Holiday who did sports back then.

No idea who Art Vandelay is. Never liked Seinfeld. I prefer Three's Company, The Jeffersons, & Gilligan's Island! 8-)

BillP wrote:
Art Holiday or Art Vandelay?
200.gif
No, it was Art Holiday who did sports back then.

No idea who Art Vandelay is. Never liked Seinfeld. I prefer Three's Company, The Jeffersons, & Gilligan's Island! 8-)
That will not do.