Modano & Roenick

Modano & Roenick, 2 USA guys, 1 in the HOF and the other isn't. Both guys came up at the same time.

Modano, the HOF inductee, has never topped 100 points in a season. Topped 40 goals only once, which was a 50 goal season. Roenick topped 100 points 3 times, 40 goals 4 times, and 50 goals twice.

All players that have scored over 500 goals and 1200 points in their careers have been inducted into HOF with the exception of 4. Two are still currently playing and the other 2 are Turgeon and Roenick.

If I had my choice between Roenick and Modano for my hockey club, I would opt for Roenick.

Who would you take?

Re: Modano & Roenick

Loved both players and both deserve HOF. Roenick might be my 2nd favorite player of all time behind Gilmour. If I had to pick one to play for my team, I'd take Roenick hands down.
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

Cotton McKnight wrote:
insideout wrote:We talking real-life or EASports?
EA Sports baby! You know that's how the HOF gets decided. NHL 94 Roenick skating across the crease all night. Taking that time out when your friend finally gets a body on him and injures him!
Roenick was a digital hockey god.

For their time period,I'll take Roenick. He was feisty as they come with skill to match. He's been known to push (cross) a boundry or two.

For today's game, though, gimme the speed & skill of Mike Modano. Even for his era, he was a wizard on skates, but now, w/out the stickwork allowed & the clutching? He'd set the world in fire, IMO.

Dave's a mess wrote:Modano

-Best player on Cup winner.
-Stats suppressed by years of peak stat suppressing Hitch
-Played center.
By the way...Roenick was a center too

"Suck a dick Johansen"

NHLTIM wrote:
Dave's a mess wrote:Modano

-Best player on Cup winner.
-Stats suppressed by years of peak stat suppressing Hitch
-Played center.
By the way...Roenick was a center too
2/3 ain't bad, I blame the pre-holiday whisky!
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Modano...Hated him 'cause he was so damn good...and kinda like Drew Doughty, it was impossible to get a good hit on him.

Roenick... Got by with way too much. Was allowed to run people with impunity. When it was time for him to face the music, the zebras were always too quick to jump in and break things up. I've got no problem with playing a hard nosed game, as long as you are willing to pay the piper... he never had to.

I had seats one night on the blue line...3 rows from the glass. I saw Modano go blue line to blue line in about 3 strides...one of the most amazing things i've ever seen.
Roenick played the game the way it was meant to be played. He was skating and hitting every shift he played, it was a thing of beauty to watch.

"Suck a dick Johansen"

NHLTIM wrote:I had seats one night on the blue line...3 rows from the glass. I saw Modano go blue line to blue line in about 3 strides...one of the most amazing things i've ever seen.
Roenick played the game the way it was meant to be played. He was skating and hitting every shift he played, it was a thing of beauty to watch.
Again... no problem with playing that style, as long as it’s allowed both ways. Roenick was protected like Gretz, but shouldn’t have been, not according to how he played the game, anyway.

I remember when Courtnall caught JR coming across the middle with a forearm, and broke his jaw.
Roenick, once he was able to talk, never complained. He said, "Hey if the situation was reversed, I would have taken the shot too. That's the way it goes."

BillP wrote:Modano & Roenick, 2 USA guys, 1 in the HOF and the other isn't. Both guys came up at the same time.

Modano, the HOF inductee, has never topped 100 points in a season. Topped 40 goals only once, which was a 50 goal season. Roenick topped 100 points 3 times, 40 goals 4 times, and 50 goals twice.

All players that have scored over 500 goals and 1200 points in their careers have been inducted into HOF with the exception of 4. Two are still currently playing and the other 2 are Turgeon and Roenick.

If I had my choice between Roenick and Modano for my hockey club, I would opt for Roenick.

Who would you take?
Very surprising Roenick hasn't gotten in. Any guesses as to why not? Simply because he didn't win a Cup??

I'd take Roenick.

FederkoSutterHunter wrote:
BillP wrote:Modano & Roenick, 2 USA guys, 1 in the HOF and the other isn't. Both guys came up at the same time.

Who would you take?
Very surprising Roenick hasn't gotten in. Any guesses as to why not? Simply because he didn't win a Cup??

I'd take Roenick.
Probably because like you said, he didn't win a Cup. But I'd take Roenick over Modano hands down without even giving it a second thought.

barnburner wrote:I remember when Courtnall caught JR coming across the middle with a forearm, and broke his jaw.
Roenick, once he was able to talk, never complained. He said, "Hey if the situation was reversed, I would have taken the shot too. That's the way it goes."
Roenick scored on that play, and Courts shot to JR's face today would be seen as a late hit and suspendable. That said, I loved it. My hatred of Roenick then is only a reflection of how good a player he was.

Modano - 21 seasons, 1499 games, 1374 points (.916 points per game)
176 playoff games, 146 points in the playoffs (.829 points per game)
Two Stanley Cup finals, one Cup win.
11 years of getting All-Star votes.
6 years of getting Hart Trophy votes.
Finished second in the Calder Trophy voting.
9 years of getting Byng Trophy votes.
10 years of getting Selke Trophy votes.
Drafted first overall and, at the time, was the second American player to be drafted in that spot ever.
18 of his 19 seasons were with Minn/Dal franchise.

Roenick - 20 seasons, 1363 games, 1216 points (.892 points per game)
154 playoff games, 122 points in the playoffs (.792 points per game)
One Stanley Cup final.
5 years of getting All-Star votes.
3 years of getting Hart Trophy votes.
Finished third in the Calder.
3 years of getting Selke votes.
Drafted 8th overall.

As for American BORN players (discounting Brett Hull):
Points - Modano first. Roenick fourth.
Goals - Modano goals. Roenick third.
Assists - Modano second. Roenick sixth.
PP Goals - Roenick second. Modano third.
SH Goals - Modano second. Roenick third.
GW Goals - both tied for first.

I guess with more trophy voting and a very slight edge to the statistics, I can see why if you had to pick one, you'd go with Modano.

They were both really fun to watch, just for different reasons.