Re: Ray Emery, dies from drowning

Drowning can happen very fast. A few years ago I was kayaking on the Arkansas River in Colorado. There is a string of class IV rapids on the Arkansas called the numbers... they are big rapids with long runs. I flipped off of my boat and was trying to get up right when I went under. I was on my way up and I hit my buddies boat, so I went down again...this was when things got r4eally golden and I felt like I could just drift off to sleep, and that is when I told myself to start fighting to the surface or you are going to drown. Something very similar happened to me the next summer...I do not kayak anymore.

This is a sad story. I am sorry for his family.

CaptSMRT wrote:Drowning can happen very fast. A few years ago I was kayaking on the Arkansas River in Colorado. There is a string of class IV rapids on the Arkansas called the numbers... they are big rapids with long runs. I flipped off of my boat and was trying to get up right when I went under. I was on my way up and I hit my buddies boat, so I went down again...this was when things got r4eally golden and I felt like I could just drift off to sleep, and that is when I told myself to start fighting to the surface or you are going to drown. Something very similar happened to me the next summer...I do not kayak anymore.

Been in a situation like that, kayaking. Got flipped over, ended up tangled in some underwater branches. It's pretty easy to lose your sense of direction of which was is up or down. I still kayak though, love it. But more of a casual kayaker.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:
CaptSMRT wrote:Drowning can happen very fast. A few years ago I was kayaking on the Arkansas River in Colorado. There is a string of class IV rapids on the Arkansas called the numbers... they are big rapids with long runs. I flipped off of my boat and was trying to get up right when I went under. I was on my way up and I hit my buddies boat, so I went down again...this was when things got r4eally golden and I felt like I could just drift off to sleep, and that is when I told myself to start fighting to the surface or you are going to drown. Something very similar happened to me the next summer...I do not kayak anymore.

Been in a situation like that, kayaking. Got flipped over, ended up tangled in some underwater branches. It's pretty easy to lose your sense of direction of which was is up or down. I still kayak though, love it. But more of a casual kayaker.
After two big swims...I'm not sure I really enjoy the risk of class IV and up.