Re: Hockey helmets unsafe

What a shame.... The NHL is well aware that the elbow is the most important part of of the body to protect. They're just asking for trouble if they make helmets more durable. Yes, eventually they'll figure out a way to make elbow armor harder, stronger and more shock absorbent. But until then, players will be breaking elbows left and right and that just makes me want to puke.

Very interesting article. Thanks for posting.

I wear a Bauer 5000 so I assume that's an earlier version of the 5100 that scored one of the higher ratings...but wow, pretty damning when one of the higher ratings is a 2 out of 5.

I am curious if they can make helmets reduce concussions more though. I'm sure more can be done but a few people in the article make a good point in that concussions occur when the brain hits the skull and slowing the brain down in a huge hit is pretty much impossible sometimes.

One helmet I was looking for was the Mission M11. Isn't the the helmet that Messier helped sponsor that was supposed to be specifically designed to prevent concussions? I'm pretty sure it's the helmet Andy McDonald wore his last year or two in the league. My knowledge of equipment isn't up to date (I still wear the same shin pads I got 16 years ago) so maybe they've moved on from that helmet.

Interesting stuff though. Hopefully they can get the technology up there but with hockey being such a fast sport (one can skate way faster than they can run) basic physics can tell you that the injuries would be worse. Even though football players are bigger on average and tend to take/give more hits than hockey players, the speed of hits in hockey is pretty much unmatched.

This is the style of helmet I wore as a teenager. You can see the 1/4 inch plastic foam type material that provided very little protection.

Once after serving a penalty, I skated as fast as I could across the ice from the box to the bench so my replacement d'man could join the play. I hit a rut about 10 ft from the boards and went head first into the boards. I blacked out for a second and then lifted myself over the boards and fell into the bench area. Of course my teammates were dying with laughter (in their defense it had to be pretty damn funny to just see me disappear and then "BAM!"). Then one of them pointed at the boards and said "Oh my god, look at that"! My head had hit the boards so hard they actually splintered.

Fortunately, helmets have come a long way since then.

Well I wear a CCM V10, which isn't on the list. V08 is, but it uses a different type of padding. Granted I play no-check rec hockey... so I think I'm ok!

Still, it's troubling how poorly some of those faired. I also do think there is more to it than what this study covers. I know there has been a lot of talk about the rotation of the head in hits that can cause issues, and I think that's what a lot of the modern 'high tech' helmets like the Bauer ones have been built to address. This study seems to only look at brute force hits from straight on.

T.C. wrote:i'll start listening to how safe/unsafe helmets are as soon as players start using the chin strap the way it should be.
That would help. I've always been told that fit is most important. If it's popping off your head or moving around, there's too much negative space and the lid isn't working as designed.

T.C. wrote:i'll start listening to how safe/unsafe helmets are as soon as players start using the chin strap the way it should be.
Good point, lots of loose lids around the league.
OT, and not a skater's helmet issue but I'd like to see a count of how many times Jonathan Quick "loses" his helmet to stop play during a season. I used to like Quick but man has he gotten whiny the past couple years. I swear every time he lets in a goal and someone is within 2 feet of him he goes crying to the refs. Guess winning brings on that sense of entitlement.

rbartnik wrote:Calling a hockey helmet unsafe because it doesn't prevent concussions is wrong.

The whole point of a hockey helmet is to keep your skull intact, whether it be from a puck strike or hitting your head on the glass/boards/ice.
I wonder why you don't see a lot of research into whether skydiving helmets are unsafe...

insideout wrote:
rbartnik wrote:Calling a hockey helmet unsafe because it doesn't prevent concussions is wrong.

The whole point of a hockey helmet is to keep your skull intact, whether it be from a puck strike or hitting your head on the glass/boards/ice.
I wonder why you don't see a lot of research into whether skydiving helmets are unsafe...
Seinfeld did a hilarious bit in his stand-up about how the helmet is essentially wearing the skydiver for protection.

To make the problem worse for the players, watch how most player use their strap. It's hanging so loose under their chin/neck that when they get hit and/or fall to the ice, the helmet is basically off their head and is completely useless.

It's like watching a kid ride a bike with and unstrapped bike helmet. What is the point? Might as well not use one at all.

STL fan in IA wrote:Very interesting article. Thanks for posting.

I wear a Bauer 5000 so I assume that's an earlier version of the 5100 that scored one of the higher ratings...but wow, pretty damning when one of the higher ratings is a 2 out of 5.

I am curious if they can make helmets reduce concussions more though. I'm sure more can be done but a few people in the article make a good point in that concussions occur when the brain hits the skull and slowing the brain down in a huge hit is pretty much impossible sometimes.

One helmet I was looking for was the Mission M11. Isn't the the helmet that Messier helped sponsor that was supposed to be specifically designed to prevent concussions? I'm pretty sure it's the helmet Andy McDonald wore his last year or two in the league. My knowledge of equipment isn't up to date (I still wear the same shin pads I got 16 years ago) so maybe they've moved on from that helmet.

Interesting stuff though. Hopefully they can get the technology up there but with hockey being such a fast sport (one can skate way faster than they can run) basic physics can tell you that the injuries would be worse. Even though football players are bigger on average and tend to take/give more hits than hockey players, the speed of hits in hockey is pretty much unmatched.
StL Fan in Iowa.I remember that also, that Andy McDonald wore that Helmet when he came back from his last concussion with the Blues and your right the M11 Helmet was being design or push by Mark Messier at that time.I was watching a NHL Network program interview and Mark Messier was talking about the Foam in that Helmet was design different then other NHL Helmets, to help try to curb concussions.Here is link below about the Helmet.

http://www.totalhockey.com/product/M11_ ... tm/3908-2/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We didn't even have helmets AT ALL, throughout my bantam and midget years. I slid head-first (squarely) into the post once, and glancing blows a couple times. The goalposts were much more solid and heavy back in the 1950s and early '60s. (maybe that's why I often can't remember on which thread I am posting?) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Robb_K wrote:We didn't even have helmets AT ALL, throughout my bantam and midget years. I slid head-first (squarely) into the post once, and glancing blows a couple times. The goalposts were much more solid and heavy back in the 1950s and early '60s. (maybe that's why I often can't remember on which thread I am posting?) :lol: :lol: :lol:
I feel your pain Robb. ;)

Besides the couple of times I briefly blacked out from head shots in hockey, I also busted my head open (knocked unconscious, required stitches) three times as a kid. I joke that it explains a lot, but in all honesty, now that I'm in my mid 50's every time I have trouble with memory it makes me wonder if I'm not beginning to suffer the effects of those head traumas.