Petro of late…

Pretty slick zone exits and first passes. Seems to be stick checking very hard and stealing pucks a lot more. He's got 1 more assist than Tarasenko right now and will probably finish with 45-47 points. We are gonna need this dude to be sharp in the playoffs if we plan on going any farther this year.

Re: Petro of late…

blueslifer wrote:I wasn't ever worried about it, just sick of hearing people wanting to trade him for a bag of pucks.
You and me both. Man people spend a completely disproportionate amount of time crying about his shots not being on net. As if that is the number one thing defensemen should be judged on. I will say one thing, you almost never see him bonk one off some opposing player's shin pads leading to an odd man rush. So, yeah, I would like to see him get shots through more often but it's not a bad trade-off.

It's good to see that Petro is back to being steady, but it would still be nice to see an extra gear from him. I've definitely been a critic of his play this year. Perhaps I'm just not satisfied with his style of play. I just find myself expecting more out of a #1. I feel like he never makes a game-breaking play.

That said, I've noticed the positive trend in his play, and it makes me happy. :arrow:

zilch wrote:It's good to see that Petro is back to being steady, but it would still be nice to see an extra gear from him. I've definitely been a critic of his play this year. Perhaps I'm just not satisfied with his style of play. I just find myself expecting more out of a #1. I feel like he never makes a game-breaking play.

That said, I've noticed the positive trend in his play, and it makes me happy. :arrow:
What makes him special are the subtle plays that he makes to avoid problems, rather than the plays he makes to create havoc on offense or "fix" problems in his own end. Much like a really good umpire in baseball, Petro is often as his best when you spend the entire game not noticing him.

I agree with everyone in here but I also agree that I wish he'd make the big play more often. I know his game is more safe and unnoticeable but for example, the play he made in the Detroit game to enter the zone and get the puck to Steen who tied it--big plays like that that make an impact on the game. I guess what I'm saying is that I'd like to see him be more "clutch"--which is something I guess we could say about everyone on this team not named Tarasenko.

UMSLBlues12 wrote:I agree with everyone in here but I also agree that I wish he'd make the big play more often. I know his game is more safe and unnoticeable but for example, the play he made in the Detroit game to enter the zone and get the puck to Steen who tied it--big plays like that that make an impact on the game. I guess what I'm saying is that I'd like to see him be more "clutch"--which is something I guess we could say about everyone on this team not named Tarasenko.
I still have to tell myself he is only 25. He is starting to enter his prime, and I expect him to make those "big plays" now. He has the talent.

In addition to the attributes already listed, I really like the way Petro knows when to join the rush, or as he more often does, leads the rush into the offensive zone deep enough to start the cycle or find a quick pass to a forward in the slot or along the boards to keep the pressure on the opposing defense. He's a smart player.