Re: Sobotka's Trade Value

ratonmono wrote:
Battra wrote:
ratonmono wrote:Honestly I feel a bit bad for Sobotka. Leaves for more money and better minutes, then subsequently winds up with less money and gets humbled by being told he needs a lesser role. Ouch. If he had just stayed here for one season he'd have been playing up and down the lineup on one of the best teams in the NHL and could have gotten a big payday come July 1st. Ouch, very ouch. Sobotka should have listened to what Marcellus Wallace had to say about that pride thing.
What's there to feel bad about?

He made his choice.
I feel bad for him to have made the wrong choice. I've had plenty of experience in making poor choices, so I sympathize.
He's got millions.

He's fine.

Hockey Pete wrote:In reality, both sides lose on this. Sobo made a bad decision to leave, because if he had stayed, he most likely would be getting 16+ minutes a game skating along side Paulie, manning the PK and taking key FO's late in close games. All for around $3 million a season.

On the flip side, I'd rather have (as well as the BLues) Sobotka on the ice over Berglund, Ott, or Goc, and I would love having him on the team to help closeout close games.

In a perfect world, Sobo has learned a BIG lesson, and calls the Blues to sign a contract. The Blues then turn around and leverage several trades to either move back into the 1st round, or get us a LW'er who can score next to P Walnuts.
His contract is already signed.

He lost in arbitration.

When he returns to the NHL, he has a one year deal with the Blues.

Turk Sanderson wrote:Us fans have endured the work stoppages that have resulted in a CBA that is mutually agreeable to the players and owners. Over time, they all get their money. He tried to circumvent that process, and it didn't work. Flip him for a pick, and be done with his ass.
I tend to agree.
No room at the Inn for him here.

barnburner wrote:
Turk Sanderson wrote:Us fans have endured the work stoppages that have resulted in a CBA that is mutually agreeable to the players and owners. Over time, they all get their money. He tried to circumvent that process, and it didn't work. Flip him for a pick, and be done with his ass.
I tend to agree.
No room at the Inn for him here.
Perhaps. But, that is assuming all things remain as they are.

Let's see how guys perform in the POs and everyone's health status after the Blues play their final game of 2014-15.

I hate to think the Blues are writing anyone's future off based on where the team is today.

You can be sure that he has a stiffy over this. You don't want to deal with that on next year's team. There are and will be much better options this summer, than dealing with some malcontent. He had a chance to be on this year's team and POs...he chose to be elsewhere. He decided his future,

Battra wrote:
ratonmono wrote:
Battra wrote:
What's there to feel bad about?

He made his choice.
I feel bad for him to have made the wrong choice. I've had plenty of experience in making poor choices, so I sympathize.
He's got millions.

He's fine.
I don't feel bad for his bank account. I feel for the guy personally, professionally, and emotionally going out on a limb, thinking he was better than he was and getting humbled. That's not an easy thing to go through.

I feel sorry for hard working folks that lose their jobs for reasons that they can't control.For example, the Steel Mill in Granite announced Wednesday, that they are closing, for an unknown period of time....maybe permanently, who knows?.... those people deserve our thoughts and prayers. Sobotka turned his back on 2.6 million dollars to prove a point....he should be embarrassed. Screw him.

Turk Sanderson wrote:I feel sorry for hard working folks that lose their jobs for reasons that they can't control.For example, the Steel Mill in Granite announced Wednesday, that they are closing, for an unknown period of time....maybe permanently, who knows?.... those people deserve our thoughts and prayers. Sobotka turned his back on 2.6 million dollars to prove a point....he should be embarrassed. Screw him.
They're not mutually exclusive. I can feel bad in different ways for those in both situations. Obviously I feel worse for the working class of the US than I would for an elite athlete who gambled and lost. But it's OK to feel a bit bad for Sobotka too.

ratonmono wrote:
Turk Sanderson wrote:I feel sorry for hard working folks that lose their jobs for reasons that they can't control.For example, the Steel Mill in Granite announced Wednesday, that they are closing, for an unknown period of time....maybe permanently, who knows?.... those people deserve our thoughts and prayers. Sobotka turned his back on 2.6 million dollars to prove a point....he should be embarrassed. Screw him.
They're not mutually exclusive. I can feel bad in different ways for those in both situations. Obviously I feel worse for the working class of the US than I would for an elite athlete who gambled and lost. But it's OK to feel a bit bad for Sobotka too.
You can if you want, but not me. You can't let fourth liners hold a gun to your head, and tell you where they are going to play, and also keep in mind, the more these guys get paid, the more it costs us.I don't begrudge them getting their money, but follow the system.

Turk Sanderson wrote:
ratonmono wrote:
You can if you want, but not me. You can't let fourth liners hold a gun to your head, and tell you where they are going to play, and also keep in mind, the more these guys get paid, the more it costs us.I don't begrudge them getting their money, but follow the system.
Oh no I agree about letting Sobotka leave. It was the right choice. Armstrong did exactly what he should have. I just wish Sobotka had seen the forest for the trees at the time. His pride cost him and it cost the team a valued asset that did nothing but depreciate in his year abroad. I'm sorry that Vlad let his pride cloud his judgement, I've been there before and it sucks.

Nope.

Don't flip him.

Make him play it...or sit and watch on the outside.

T.C. wrote:i maintain it was a family decision, not financial.
I don't think so. He wanted to be paid more and be a top 6 player. When he couldn't get that here, he went to Russia where he could.

It was financial, but mostly role on the team. And he wanted out as quickly as possible to get that role on another team. I liked Sobotka, but he wanted out and can stay out.

Turk Sanderson wrote:You can be sure that he has a stiffy over this. You don't want to deal with that on next year's team. There are and will be much better options this summer, than dealing with some malcontent. He had a chance to be on this year's team and POs...he chose to be elsewhere. He decided his future,
On one hand, I would worry about him being a distraction in the locker room. On the other, he should be a man on a mission on the ice if he intends to maximize his role and contract with his next team, so we should expect to see the best play he can still offer. Bottom line - management knows more about the lingering emotional side of this situation than we as fans will ever know, so I trust them to make the right decision for the team.

I disagree. He followed the NHL process, but was given the opportunity to play on a scoring line in the KHL, so he chose that path. I'm not (and I doubt the team will) begrudge him for that decision, even though I thought/think it was the wrong one. He could easily call up Army after the season and say 'I was wrong, and I'd like to come back", and if we have room, IMO, Army would welcome him back.

Bottom line, he's more than just a 4th liner, and even today he'd make us a better team going into the playoffs. Dislike the kid if you want, but IMO it took balls and conviction to take that path, and while I think it was a stupid decision, I do admire his courage.