Re: Kovy anyone?

Qapod The Mortician wrote: Actually I had heard it, it's just been awhile. Being an older feller, I'm not exposed to a lot of the expressions and stretches of grammar that have come along in the last 20 years. As long as my daughter was living at home I kept up a lot better back then, in fact I did really well. When she moved out I no longer bothered to try to keep up. My poor old high school grammar teacher, god rest her hefty, hefty soul, must have rolled over in her grave millions of times by now with the way things have changed. Me, I'm finding myself just fighting not to grandpa my way into the role of the "hey you kids stay off my lawn" guy.
Well now there you go.

You won the internets on that one. :)

Battra wrote:
Qapod The Mortician wrote: Actually I had heard it, it's just been awhile. Being an older feller, I'm not exposed to a lot of the expressions and stretches of grammar that have come along in the last 20 years. As long as my daughter was living at home I kept up a lot better back then, in fact I did really well. When she moved out I no longer bothered to try to keep up. My poor old high school grammar teacher, god rest her hefty, hefty soul, must have rolled over in her grave millions of times by now with the way things have changed. Me, I'm finding myself just fighting not to grandpa my way into the role of the "hey you kids stay off my lawn" guy.
Well now there you go.

You won the internets on that one. :)
Well that's not bad for an old guy that for the most part shunned and abhorred the interwebs machine until a few years ago!

Qapod The Mortician wrote:
Battra wrote:
Qapod The Mortician wrote:Makes me think its a good time to add two teams to the league.
Agreed.

There's at least 46 players over in the KHL and AHL that could people two teams.
"People" being used as a verb....there's no end to what young uns will come up with these days....it must that Doc Emrick influence...

You've never heard that?

I don't think it's new.
Actually I had heard it, it's just been awhile. Being an older feller, I'm not exposed to a lot of the expressions and stretches of grammar that have come along in the last 20 years. As long as my daughter was living at home I kept up a lot better back then, in fact I did really well. When she moved out I no longer bothered to try to keep up. My poor old high school grammar teacher, god rest her hefty, hefty soul, must have rolled over in her grave millions of times by now with the way things have changed. Me, I'm finding myself just fighting not to grandpa my way into the role of the "hey you kids stay off my lawn" guy.
"...got to keep the loonies off the grass"

"To people" has been a verb in the English language since the 1200s, after much Norman French was taken into that language. It's common parlance to me, unlike much of the current speech of the younger generations. Yet, despite that fact, I hate the way Doc Emrick calls a hockey game.

Robb_K wrote:"To people" has been a verb in the English language since the 1200s, after much Norman French was taken into that language. It's common parlance to me, unlike much of the current speech of the younger generations. Yet, despite that fact, I hate the way Doc Emrick calls a hockey game.
lol, so do I.

Maybe if I could tell a difference in plays when he says the puck was "spirited" into the zone versus "knifed" into the zone, that would help, because to me they look the exact same (as do about 30 other plays that get random goofy descriptions from him).

No, actually, I don't think it would. :D

Robb_K wrote:"To people" has been a verb in the English language since the 1200s, after much Norman French was taken into that language. It's common parlance to me, unlike much of the current speech of the younger generations. Yet, despite that fact, I hate the way Doc Emrick calls a hockey game.
lol, so do I.

Maybe if I could tell a difference in plays when he says the puck was "spirited" into the zone versus "knifed" into the zone, that would help, because to me they look the exact same (as do about 30 other plays that get random goofy descriptions from him).

:lol: :lol: :lol: A truism of hockey! The guy also needs to learn the definition of "careened".

Like the saying, "There's no crying in baseball!", there should be an analogy: "There's no room for flowery vocabulary in hockey!" Just call the f'n game! When Emrick is calling a Blues' game (no Blues' broadcast) I just turn off the sound. I can see what's happening.

Robb_K wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol: A truism of hockey! The guy also needs to learn the definition of "careened".

Like the saying, "There's no crying in baseball!", there should be an analogy: "There's no room for flowery vocabulary in hockey!" Just call the f'n game! When Emrick is calling a Blues' game (no Blues' broadcast) I just turn off the sound. I can see what's happening.
Totally agree 100%. I just can't turn the sound down, I have to hear the sounds of the game. When you throw in Pierre McGuire and "Edzo" with Doc, it is pure hell for me to hear any of their voices during the game. Especially Pierre. What a nightmare crew for me to have to put up with during a game.

lol, so do I.

I'm still working out what the hell he means when a puck is pitchforked.

Battra wrote:
lol, so do I.

Easy. It's just like when you pitchfork hay into like a barn or something. Kind of lollygag it in like you are holding a pitchfork full of hay..haha.

Battra wrote:
rudy4u51 wrote: Easy. It's just like when you pitchfork hay into like a barn or something. Kind of lollygag it in like you are holding a pitchfork full of hay..haha.
..........what???
Nothing...It's farmer talk

rudy4u51 wrote:
Battra wrote:[
Easy. It's just like when you pitchfork hay into like a barn or something. Kind of lollygag it in like you are holding a pitchfork full of hay..haha.
He must mean getting under the puck and flipping it up and forward in a tossing/pitching motion, like tossing a load of hay into a barn stall with a pitchfork.