Re: GDT - Blues Vs. Rangers - March 17th

BillP wrote:2 goals by Petro tonight. Guy's been taking a lot of heat lately on the forum but he had a nice game tonight.
Good game for Petro...glad he finally showed up. Where was he against Colorado? Will he show up tonight in Chicago?
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

NHLTIM wrote:
BillP wrote:2 goals by Petro tonight. Guy's been taking a lot of heat lately on the forum but he had a nice game tonight.
Good game for Petro...glad he finally showed up. Where was he against Colorado? Will he show up tonight in Chicago?
Glad he finally showed up? Cmon man, he has two points in 3 of his last 4 games, and you harp on him for the one game?

Beatoni12 wrote:
NHLTIM wrote:
Glad he finally showed up? Cmon man, he has two points in 3 of his last 4 games, and you harp on him for the one game?
One game? Where you been? I’ve been harping on him for a few years.
I will continue to harp on him too...that ain’t ever going away. :shock:

"Suck a dick Johansen"

barnburner wrote:
I've been one of his biggest critics, but a tip of my Blues cap to Petro. Nice to see the Captain step up in a huge game.
He's deserved every bit of criticism he's received. He also played a good game yesterday.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:
barnburner wrote:
I've been one of his biggest critics, but a tip of my Blues cap to Petro. Nice to see the Captain step up in a huge game.
He's deserved every bit of criticism he's received. He also played a good game yesterday.
Definitely without a doubt. That's the Petro that I want to see. Now if he wants to live in my good graces forever, he will step up and help deliver this guy to St. Louis

http://torontosun.com/sports/hockey/nhl ... 1521315850

"Suck a dick Johansen"

Here in STL we're spoiled. We expect our top-pairing defensemen to be a combination of Scott Stevens, Chris Pronger, and Al MacInnis all rolled into one, and if they're not, they suck and need to be traded for a forward.

Over the last two seasons, Pietrangelo can't hit the net (He's tied for second in goals by a defenseman), he isn't 'clutch' when the team needs him (He's tied for first in game winning goals by a defenseman), he doesn't play solid defense (He's 12th in Blocked shots, tied for 7th in Takeaways), can't hold on to the puck (He's all the way down at 133rd in Giveaways), all while being 7th in average time on ice/game (all stats among defensemen). Yeah, lets cash him in because we don't need any of those things when we could have a guy who hits a lot and gets into fights, because that's "leadership." Really. The intangibles like that are SO much more important. Unless you're Alex Steen.

Some guys are better in one aspect or another, but of those who are 'total package' defensemen, Pietrangelo is one of the top-10 in the league, maybe higher, and several of the guys ahead of him have been on MUCH better teams over the last 5-10 years (You think Duncan Keith isn't at least partially a product of his team? In the last 2 years while Chicago has been on the downslide, Pietrangelo has more game-winning goals (9) than Kieth has TOTAL goals (7). Kieth's an excellent player, no doubt, but being on those Stanley Cup caliber teams helped a lot). Parayko and Edmundson are YEARS behind him, and are nowhere near ready to replace what he brings, and I'm still really high on both of those guys.

No player is above criticism, granted, but Pietrangelo is still one of the best out there, and a HUGE step above anything we could realistically replace him with. I mean, if Florida were to offer Jonathan Huberdeau AND Aaron Ekblad for him (Maybe they recently hired Mike Milbury as their GM or something?), you'd sign that deal and fax it in to the league before hanging up the phone. But that just ain't gonna happen.

barnburner wrote:I could live with Petro on the first pairing, if we had a real leader to play with him. Throw all the stats you want out there, I'm a believer in the eyeball test, and my eyes say, Petro is not a leader on the ice
Petro is opportunistic and great when you are ahead or close. But when the shit hits the fan and you needs someone to take the team on their shoulders, more often than not (last night being a rare example), he doesn't show up in a huge way. He is very good, and probably in the top 10-15 of dmen you'd build a franchise around. The problem is, we have too many players like him: steady strong leadership and play most of the time, but doesn't have that 'let me put the game on my shoulders and carry the team'. Granted, there are probably only a few dmen like that, so yeah we are spoiled. Personally, my preference would be to move Parayko for offensive help while he is still hotly sought after, and let Bortz, Schmaltz, and/or a RH dman UFA (Luke Schenn?) pick up the slack for the 2nd and 3rd pairing.
"Do Only Good Everyday"