SBNation … Canadiens trade target: Blues prospect Robert Thomas?

Montreal Canadiens trade target: St. Louis Blues prospect Robert Thomas could become a core player
Thomas is a dominant centre who would instantly become Montreal's best prospect, and could help the team for years to come.
By David St-Louis
Jan 17, 2018, 10:00am EST

… In the optic of a rebuild — or reset — (Canadiens left winger Max) Pacioretty becomes a trade asset you can't miss with. The perennial 30-goal-scorer has to fetch a return that will both add to the prospect cupboard and fills the needs of the team.

(St. Louis Blues’ prospect Jordan) Kyrou is an incredible skater with a ton of offensive potential, but he likely projects as a winger at the next level, which is not what the Habs would ideally aim for. However, there's one other prospect in the Blues’ system who looks like a natural centre, and that’s a player who was last seen winning gold with Team Canada at the World Junior Hockey Championship: Robert Thomas.

Thomas is a flashy playmaker playing in a league that he has all but outgrown.

He went 20th overall in last year's draft — just a few picks before Montreal had their chance at him — but a lot of people had him higher on their list, even all the way into the top 10.

This season he's proving that he would have been a great selection for most teams ahead of the Blues, with a 1.69 points-per-game average, good for third in the OHL and a massive improvement over his previous season. …

Read & See more at: https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/anal ... e-prospect

Re: SBNation … Canadiens trade target: Blues prospect Robert Thomas?

Everyone is going to have a different theory on the subject.

Mine is that a year and a half of Pacioretty, even as the prolific goal-scorer that he is, isn't worth as much as most people think. Especially when compared to a centre that will likely prove to be one of the best coming out of the 2017 draft, and someone the Habs could have for 10 years or more.

That doesn't mean that Montreal should sell low. A few high picks would likely need to go their way in a move like this. But realistic expectations are in order for the return value.
SO, Thomas for Pacioretty and Montreal's 1st rounder this year and another high pick (1st or 2nd round) in 2019? (Montreal's pick this year would currently stand at #6 overall by point%)

I personally think this author is also over valuing Thomas, I just can't see him being worth that package, but if Montreal were to throw something like that out there (With maybe some salary going the other way), what would people think?

RAFritchey wrote:
Everyone is going to have a different theory on the subject.

Mine is that a year and a half of Pacioretty, even as the prolific goal-scorer that he is, isn't worth as much as most people think. Especially when compared to a centre that will likely prove to be one of the best coming out of the 2017 draft, and someone the Habs could have for 10 years or more.

That doesn't mean that Montreal should sell low. A few high picks would likely need to go their way in a move like this. But realistic expectations are in order for the return value.
SO, Thomas for Pacioretty and Montreal's 1st rounder this year and another high pick (1st or 2nd round) in 2019? (Montreal's pick this year would currently stand at #6 overall by point%)

I personally think this author is also over valuing Thomas, I just can't see him being worth that package, but if Montreal were to throw something like that out there (With maybe some salary going the other way), what would people think?
Maybe I'm misreading both you and the article author, but I think he's saying it would take Thomas AND some high Blues draft picks... which we don't have until 2019. If I'm wrong in my understanding, my apologies.
"Do Only Good Everyday"

UMSLBlues12 wrote:I would become a card carrying member of BillP’s “Army sucks” camp if we were to trade Thomas for Patches. Of all of our prospects, he’s the one we HAVE to hold onto. Unless something ridiculous like Tavares is coming our way.
:lol: :lol: :lol: I can't believe Army would even think about it for a milli-second of trading Thomas for anyone. He's going to be an impact next year with the Blues IMO. I'm not a fan of Army but even I know he wouldn't do something like this.