Re: Dunn

I think so too. His awareness is really good in both zones. Defensively I think he's already better than Shattenkirk. Offensively I think his upside is similar. I hate to say it because I can't stand the guy, but he kinda reminds me of Duncan Keith. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he reaches that level in a few years.

Here's why I am stoked on the kid.

He is 20. We've seen some very good play. And he's ONLY PLAYED 7 GAMES!

I'm getting the cart in front of the horse here but, how good is Dunn going to be when he has 150 or 200 NHL games?

I think Army will have to get Bouw to waive his NTC next summer. His cap hit is too high and production too low. I could see that money spent on Tavares, with Dunn Walman and Schmaltz all on the blue line next season.

39hurricane wrote:Here's why I am stoked on the kid.

I'm getting the cart in front of the horse here but, how good is Dunn going to be when he has 150 or 200 NHL games?

I think Army will have to get Bouw to waive his NTC next summer. His cap hit is too high and production too low. I could see that money spent on Tavares, with Dunn Walman and Schmaltz all on the blue line next season.
I'd rather move Gunner than JayBo, as Bouw is just a better fit with Petro, for now (and I like Joel w/ Parayko better). But moving either one of Gunner of Bouw is a positive, and will probably have to happen when Jay comes back, unless they try to slide Prosser down via waivers.
"Do Only Good Everyday"

RegDunlop wrote:The more I see Dunn play, the more convinced I am that he's going to be a great player in a few years. Thoughts?
Yep, except it won't be in a few years. It will be a lot quicker than that IMO. The faster the Blues keep him in the lineup full time, the better the team will be come playoff time.

bradleygt89 wrote:
39hurricane wrote:Here's why I am stoked on the kid.

I'd rather move Gunner than JayBo, as Bouw is just a better fit with Petro, for now (and I like Joel w/ Parayko better). But moving either one of Gunner of Bouw is a positive, and will probably have to happen when Jay comes back, unless they try to slide Prosser down via waivers.
See my comment on cap hit / points. If you want to go out and get Duchene or Tavares it takes money. Lots and lots of money.

Beatoni12 wrote:Gets better every game. Confidence seems to be soaring with this kid.

I've been telling Tim to watch for this kid for years, yet he never listened!!!!
:lol:
His confidence is sky high right now. Chaser awarded him the hard hat last night.
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

Bouwmeester's biggest strength has always been his skating. Unless his skating is nearly 100% coming back from his ankle injury, I'd say leave him out until it is. Dunn, Gunnar, and Bortz are all doing well right now.

Dunn looked better all-around tonight, than the last few previous games. It was a very good game for him in all zones. He was trailing the play well in the O-Zone, passing well, positioning well on defence, playing with poise in his own zone under pressure, keeping possession, making good clears and breakout passes. He didn't make nearly as many rookie mistakes as he had been in recent games. The way he's progressing, I'm certain that his all-around game will be better, and he'll be worth more to The Blues on the ice than Gunnarsson, before the end of this season.

NHLTIM wrote:
Beatoni12 wrote:Gets better every game. Confidence seems to be soaring with this kid.

I've been telling Tim to watch for this kid for years, yet he never listened!!!!
His confidence is sky high right now. Chaser awarded him the hard hat last night.
Gotta give you credit, the last two players I remember you being super excited about when we drafted them were Dunn and Fabbri. Injuries aside you were right on both of those picks

UMSLBlues12 wrote:
NHLTIM wrote:

Gotta give you credit, the last two players I remember you being super excited about when we drafted them were Dunn and Fabbri. Injuries aside you were right on both of those picks
No credit needed...I spend way too much time watching junior hockey. Dunn was very high on my list his draft year, I thought he probably should have been a first rounder. The draft day threads at the forums were filled with disappointment when we drafted him though but I was very happy with the selection. What we are seeing from Dunn now is not even anywhere close to the player he can be...we will see that in 3-4 years or so.

"Suck a dick Johansen"

UMSLBlues12 wrote:Didn't Dunn play on the right side some during preseason? Or was that Walman?
Walman played on the right side...mostly on the PP during the Traverse City tourney.

"Suck a dick Johansen"

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:To be fair, Tim wanted nothing to do with Kostin leading up to the draft.
Well to be fair that is correct but I also said if we ended up with a couple of picks in the first round, I'd be ok with it. Kostin in the first round nah....2nd round sure and pick 31 was basically a 2nd rounder! ;)

"Suck a dick Johansen"

JayBo has now been passed, and he should be traded, but is there a market for a 20 point/season 34 y/o LHD that went from "iron-man" and "minute muncher man" status to overrated and injury fodder?

Dunn, in a positive way, has put pressure on DA to make a move:

Keep same lineup; Sit JayBo and his $5M, and send down Prosser

Play JayBo, sit Dunn, and send down Prosser;

Play JayBo, sit Bortuzo, and send down Prosser;

Play JayBo, sit Prosser, and send down Dunn

Trade either JayBo or Gunner or Edmundson (Joel is in his final year, still a RFA but with arbitration coming, and while I love Joel's play, he would probably give the best return without causing the biggest loss on the D)

Tell JayBo he has an extreme condition of "unowsuckatthisitis" and keep him on long-term IR :twisted:

Something will have to give, barring further current lineup injuries.
"Do Only Good Everyday"

bradleygt89 wrote:JayBo has now been passed, and he should be traded, but is there a market for a 20 point/season 34 y/o LHD that went from "iron-man" and "minute muncher man" status to overrated and injury fodder?

Dunn, in a positive way, has put pressure on DA to make a move:

Keep same lineup; Sit JayBo and his $5M, and send down Prosser

Play JayBo, sit Dunn, and send down Prosser;

Play JayBo, sit Bortuzo, and send down Prosser;

Play JayBo, sit Prosser, and send down Dunn

Trade either JayBo or Gunner or Edmundson (Joel is in his final year, still a RFA but with arbitration coming, and while I love Joel's play, he would probably give the best return without causing the biggest loss on the D)

Tell JayBo he has an extreme condition of "unowsuckatthisitis" and keep him on long-term IR :twisted:

Something will have to give, barring further current lineup injuries.
I think Prosser will be waived first. Look at what happened when Steen came back, Megan was waived. Dunn is playing to well to drop him out of the lineup. However, this means someone needs to get sat and having if that's Gunnarsson, who did sit for portions of last year, is a waste of money to me. It's money the Blues could use come TDL day. Once Bouw is back, I'd start exploring trade possibilities or have one lined up and I wouldn't trade Eddy. He definitely would have the most value of the 3 (19, 4, and 6), but he's played very well and is cheaper than the other two. Bouwmeester is really the best partner for Pietrangelo right now (Edmundson slowly improving although he's had some rough games recently). So to me, it leaves Gunnarsson as the odd man out.

But, this is also predicated on what happens to Parayko. If Parayko is out for any length of time right now, would someone play off wing once Bouw is back. Maybe it is Bouw?