Re: Cuts are in

I don't think Paajarvi has done enough to earn a start over Jaskin right now. I think the starting lineup against the Pens is something a little different. I don't like Thorburn playing unless someone like Reaves is on the other side. If there isn't a Reaves/Thorburn on the other side, slide Jaskin back over to RW on 4th line and put in Sundqvist or Paajarvi.

17 - 26 - 91
71 - 10 - 32
61 - 49 - 64
23 - 28 - 22

Defense same as Dave's.

MissouriMook wrote:
blueslifer wrote:Surprised nobody mentioned Lindbohm being put on waivers. In a normal year I have no doubt he would get snatched up. The only reason he may not this year is because of the logjam of D-men Vegas is going to add to the waiver wire.
That, and he has one pre-season game under his belt after recovering from shoulder surgery. Anyone who claims him would have to keep him on the NHL roster or risk losing him back to us.
Yeah I realize that. I mean, we lost Brad Hunt last year and never got a chance to reclaim him. And I feel like Lindy is a good 6th or 7th dman on most teams. Having said that, I haven't seen him play since the injury so he may have regressed.

wannabebluesplayer wrote:I don't think Paajarvi has done enough to earn a start over Jaskin right now. I think the starting lineup against the Pens is something a little different. I don't like Thorburn playing unless someone like Reaves is on the other side. If there isn't a Reaves/Thorburn on the other side, slide Jaskin back over to RW on 4th line and put in Sundqvist or Paajarvi.

17 - 26 - 91
71 - 10 - 32
61 - 49 - 64
23 - 28 - 22

Defense same as Dave's.
I think Paajarvi plays over Megan. Megan/Thorburn and Sundqvist are the scratches most nights. If there isn't a heavy weight on the other side, Megan slides in onto the 4th line and Jaskin moves over to RW like you said.

Yeo seems to really like Paajarvi, and with Steen out I think it'd be surprising if someone beats him out for a regular spot. Even when he wasn't scoring last year, I felt his speed was critical to what we wanted to do as a team.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/hockey/p ... 62296.html

So barring any personnel moves outside the organization, a minimum of three of the four aforementioned forwards should find themselves on the opening-day roster — Thompson, Kostin, Blais, and Megan. Ditto for one of the two defensemen, Dunn and Walman.

Any idea which two get sent down? I'll guess Kostin and Walman.

Lot's of good youth chomping at the bit here. The injuries suck, but it's good to see these kids get a chance.

This article suggests the Blues should not go after Jagr and instead pick Ferraro off waivers:

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/hockey/p ... a1b2d.html

For those dreamers out there, Jaromir Jagr at age 45 is a free agent. A more reasonable option might be center Landon Ferraro, who was Blues property last year playing for the Chicago Wolves, and was placed on waivers Wednesday by Minnesota. The Blues liked Ferraro last season, and he counts only $700,000 against the cap, but he’s certainly not in Fabbri’s class as a goal scorer.

What's the math? Can Kostin, Megan, Blais & Thompson all fit in at forward? Is there enough room for all 4? I think all of them, with the exception of Kostin, definitely should make the team. And IMO if there's room for 1 more then go ahead and go with Kostin as well and skip the introduction phase & make the kid happy and let him start out at the NHL level. He's definitely big enough to handle physical aspect. JMO

The math is the Blues can keep 23 players on the roster. Usually 14 F 7 D and 2 G. Right now Berglund Steen Fabbri and Bouw do not count.

Is Army going to keep 23? They have at times gone with 22 in order to get some relief against the cap to use at the deadline.

39hurricane wrote:The math is the Blues can keep 23 players on the roster. Usually 14 F 7 D and 2 G. Right now Berglund Steen Fabbri and Bouw do not count.

Is Army going to keep 23? They have at times gone with 22 in order to get some relief against the cap to use at the deadline.
I think a lot of this will depend on Steen's re-evaluation.
Just a Russian propaganda account

T.C. wrote:
@StLouisBlues wrote:Bennett, Butler & Lindbohm have all cleared waivers & been assigned to AHL. Bennett & Lindbohm to Chicago; Butler to San Antonio. #stlblues
If Bennett can't make this team with all of these injuries, he might as well get settled in with the Wolves. That signing was pointless :roll:
KA-KAW!

UMSLBlues12 wrote:Thomas just got signed to an ELC. Which means he'll be here sooner rather than later.
Not necessarily, he can still go to juniors as scheduled. Deal won't kick in until he's here for 10 NHL games. The timing of the deal certainly is interesting though, isn't it?
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

UMSLBlues12 wrote:Thomas just got signed to an ELC. Which means he'll be here sooner rather than later.
Don't ELCs 'slide' if the player doesn't play a certain number of NHL games in the first season, though? Or at least at the 'professional' level? He could still spend a year or two in juniors without starting the clock on the ELC.

Even so, it DOES signify the Blues' commitment to him, and vice versa. Good news all around!

Dave's a mess wrote:
Not necessarily, he can still go to juniors as scheduled. Deal won't kick in until he's here for 10 NHL games. The timing of the deal certainly is interesting though, isn't it?
Whoops! Answered my question even as I was posting it. Thanks!

Dave's a mess wrote:
Oh I know. Teams just usually don't ink kids to deals super early if they don't think the player has a chance to contribute fairly soon.

UMSLBlues12 wrote:
Dave's a mess wrote:
Oh I know. Teams just usually don't ink kids to deals super early if they don't think the player has a chance to contribute fairly soon.
Sure they do...Blues always try to get their 1st and 2nd rounders under contract as soon as possible.
For example, Vince Dunn signed after his first camp in 2015.
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/hockey/p ... f.amp.html

Sounds like Dunn is going to make the team over Walman, and Sundqvist has a spot as well, based off of Yeo's comments here.

With the addition of Upshall, and Sundqvist having a spot, I think that means two spots left to grab between Megan, Thompson, Kostin, and Blais. I'd think Blais and Megan are the leading candidates, but would like to see Thompson nab a spot still. I think he's earned it.

UMSLBlues12 wrote:http://www.stltoday.com/sports/hockey/p ... f.amp.html

Sounds like Dunn is going to make the team over Walman, and Sundqvist has a spot as well, based off of Yeo's comments here.

With the addition of Upshall, and Sundqvist having a spot, I think that means two spots left to grab between Megan, Thompson, Kostin, and Blais. I'd think Blais and Megan are the leading candidates, but would like to see Thompson nab a spot still. I think he's earned it.
Did we sign Upshall? I thought he was on PTO with Vancouver?

storey13 wrote:

He was a late scratch from Vancouver's game last night, and there have been reports he signed a 1 year, $800k deal with the Blues that will be announced today. JR tweeted about it. JR usually doesn't tweet that kind of news unless it's happening, so I'm assuming we signed him

UMSLBlues12 wrote:
storey13 wrote:

I don't know how I missed that! Quoting Brodie from Mallrats, "I must be slipping in my old age!"
He was a late scratch from Vancouver's game last night, and there have been reports he signed a 1 year, $800k deal with the Blues that will be announced today. JR tweeted about it. JR usually doesn't tweet that kind of news unless it's happening, so I'm assuming we signed him

UMSLBlues12 wrote:
storey13 wrote:

I don't know how I missed that! Quoting Brodie from Mallrats, "I must be slipping in my old age!"