Bouwmeester/Sanford Injuries

Sanford out 5-6 months with dislocated shoulder requiring surgery. Rough break for kid with big opportunity this year. Meanwhile Bouwmeester has a fractured ankle and will be re-evaluated in 3 weeks. Dunn/Walman showdown for the next couple of weeks.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Re: Bouwmeester/Sanford Injuries

MattyIce wrote:I have a feeling Prosser will be in the lineup before the kids unfortunately. I hope that one of them shows enough to earn a spot though. If anything, this should really start a good competition in camp.
Perhaps, but the key thing to remember now that Bouwmeester is out is that the competition isn't for the 7th D spot, its for the 6th. That means you don't need to worry about whether or not Walman/Dunn would be better off in the NHL pressbox many nights, or playing in the AHL. Whichever of them proves themselves to be the better D-man right now will get a spot in the lineup as the 3rd LD. You can keep Prosser or whoever as the healthy scratch most nights and not worry about development.

Dave's a mess wrote:
MattyIce wrote:I have a feeling Prosser will be in the lineup before the kids unfortunately. I hope that one of them shows enough to earn a spot though. If anything, this should really start a good competition in camp.
Perhaps, but the key thing to remember now that Bouwmeester is out is that the competition isn't for the 7th D spot, its for the 6th. That means you don't need to worry about whether or not Walman/Dunn would be better off in the NHL pressbox many nights, or playing in the AHL. Whichever of them proves themselves to be the better D-man right now will get a spot in the lineup as the 3rd LD. You can keep Prosser or whoever as the healthy scratch most nights and not worry about development.
Good point. There is no way they would want them just sitting up in the press box...
KA-KAW!

While it will be good to get one of the kids in the lineup, I'm quite concerned about Edmundson on the top pairing for an extended period of time. If Bouwmeester is out as long as Schwartz was when he fractured his ankle a few years ago, I wouldn't be surprised if Army is forced to make a trade for some help on the left side.

With all the excitement regarding Walman and Dunn, I kind of wonder about Jordan Schmaltz. I haven't seen one article or radio interview about him so far since camp started. I know he didn't wow anyone when he played with the Blues last year, but still, he was a 1st round pick and has a few NHL games worth of experience.

storey13 wrote:With all the excitement regarding Walman and Dunn, I kind of wonder about Jordan Schmaltz. I haven't seen one article or radio interview about him so far since camp started. I know he didn't wow anyone when he played with the Blues last year, but still, he was a 1st round pick and has a few NHL games worth of experience.
It is worrisome if the Blues shelve him too long and he ends up like Ty Rattie and we just drive his price down. Unlike Rattie, this kid has something to offer. Would like the Blues to make a decision on him soon, play him or trade him.

BillP wrote:
storey13 wrote:With all the excitement regarding Walman and Dunn, I kind of wonder about Jordan Schmaltz. I haven't seen one article or radio interview about him so far since camp started. I know he didn't wow anyone when he played with the Blues last year, but still, he was a 1st round pick and has a few NHL games worth of experience.
It is worrisome if the Blues shelve him too long and he ends up like Ty Rattie and we just drive his price down. Unlike Rattie, this kid has something to offer. Would like the Blues to make a decision on him soon, play him or trade him.
I don't know how applicable the Rattie comparison is because I'm not sure the rest of the league was particularly high on Schmaltz at any point. I don't think he's done enough at any level for other teams to be particularly interested. Rattie at least had that great year in juniors right after his draft, and later scored 31 in the minors. As far as I can tell, the best thing Schmaltz has going for him is he's right handed and he's on his entry level deal. He is probably good enough to be on some team's 3rd pair, but I don't know that he's viewed as anything greater than a depth guy.

Maybe Cole is the comparison you are looking for.