Players Under Pressure

Well ladies and gents, camp is upon us. I was thinking about what players have the most to prove heading into the season, and the guy I'm most intrigued by is Ivan Barbashev. After a strong finish last season and the open competition for 2nd and 3rd line center, he has a tremendous opportunity and would seem to be in pretty good shape heading into camp. However if he doesn't have a good year and cement a role in the top 9, he could be in danger of headed to the Jaskin zone as Thompson and Thomas among others seem to be on track for those roles in the 2018-19 season.

Anybody else you're going to be paying close attention too this camp? Obviously some spots like the 7th D will draw a lot of eyes.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Re: Players Under Pressure

Agreed, if Barbashev doesn't progress this yr, he'll probably find himself as a 4th liner until proven otherwise.

I think Jaskin still has a chance to prove himself this yr, but this is his last shot. No one likes him but he averages 2+ hits per game, is a plus player and plays a sound positional game with strong puck possession numbers. He doesn't light up the scoreboard but he does give quality shifts.

On defense, I think maybe the most pressure there will be on Armstrong. He is going to have make room for the kids IMO. If he doesn't do anything this yr with the defense then he should get a F in that area.

I agree on Barbashev. Another thing he has going against him is the arrival of Vladimir Sobotka. In my mind those two players offer almost the same identical role. Although having said that I sure wouldn't mind them being on the same line.

I would say another guy on the proverbial hot seat is Brodziak. I know Yeo really likes him being a former Wild player and all, but his play seemed to regress last year. If that trend continues he could be unseated by one of many players.

Who is going to take over Upshall's spot? It could be any number of players. Really our entire fourth line needs to be re-invented.

As far as defense is concerned I think it's more than just the 7th D spot. If one or more of Dunn, Walman, Schmaltz outplay either of Bortuzzo or Gunny, they should be getting regular playing time as fifth or 6th defenseman. Then, will they carry 7 D, or 8, early in the season until the roster or injuries sort out the depth chart?

I can now understand why they brought in Tippett for another set of eyes and assessment regarding how to construct this team. There's just too many things to look at for one guy, or even two guys.

For me it is Fabbri. He is coming off a tough injury and transitioning to center. In addition, it is a contract year for him. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out for him. This season could potentially define his career. I will be watching him very closely.

After Fabbri I will be most interested in seeing the young players who could potentially earn a spot out of camp. Kyrou, Dunn, Walman, Schmaltz, and after the Traverse City Tournament he had I will include Thompson in that group.

TR-USA wrote:For me it is Fabbri. He is coming off a tough injury and transitioning to center. In addition, it is a contract year for him. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out for him. This season could potentially define his career. I will be watching him very closely.

After Fabbri I will be most interested in seeing the young players who could potentially earn a spot out of camp. Kyrou, Dunn, Walman, Schmaltz, and after the Traverse City Tournament he had I will include Thompson in that group.
Fully agree about Fabbri. I don't think his performance last year before the injury was his best. The Fabbri at center experiment will be interesting but I think ultimately he will be a winger in the NHL.

I don't agree with the others about Barbashev. There shouldn't be any pressure on him. He is only 21 and this will be his first full season. He may not even make the team out of camp but I don't think there should be un-needed pressure on him.

I think Schmaltz has a lot of pressure on him though. He was drafted in the first round two years before Barbashev, he's coming 24 and there is some great talent nipping at his heels. He has to make the team out of camp. Both Walman and Dunn could have a brilliant camp and bypass Schmaltz.