Thoughts on Scott Hartnell

Since Columbus bought out his contract, is he worth taking a flyer on (no pun intended, really)?

I've been a fan of his from his Philly days when I was living just outside of Philly and got to watch him a lot. He has some of the edge that Ott had like the ability to get under the opposition's skin, but he could score as well. I have to admit that since I like him from years ago, I haven't really followed him, so he may be more like Ott than I'd be happy with.

Since he's being bought out, would he take a bit less than if he were a UFA?

I'm just throwing this out there. I could be way off base, but I think he'd be a good fit to replace some of Reaves physicality and grit.

Feel free to tell me to take a long walk on a short pier.
2018-2019 Stanley Cup Champion St. Louis Blues. And I was alive to see it happen!

Re: Thoughts on Scott Hartnell

MissouriMook wrote:Haven't really seen him play the last couple of years. How are his wheels? I really have no desire to try to plug in anyone in our Top 9 that doesn't have at least average speed unless they bring A LOT of finish to the table.
I haven't seen him play much over the last 5 years. I just remember being a big fan of his when I got to watch the Flyers game in and game out. If I remember correctly he was sort of a cross between Ott and Perron. Annoying as hell to the opposition with some scoring ability. He does seem to consistantly have significantly more PIM than points. Last year was the only the 5th time in his 16 seasons that he had less than 100 PIM.

The more I think about it, the more I think this is just me wanting a guy I used to be a big fan of. He may not be the best fit for the Blues. But, I guess what it would cost figures in as well.

I may have just talked myself out of this idea.
2018-2019 Stanley Cup Champion St. Louis Blues. And I was alive to see it happen!

If Hartnell was a right handed shot who played RW I'd take the chance on him maybe. But he's a left handed shooting LW. That is what we already have a ton of. I think we only have 1 or 2 right handed forwards.

I wanted him previously and have always appreciated his game, but with where we're at and where he's at in his career I just don't feel he's a fit for us.

Matangama wrote:Honestly barnburner, it depends on price. I think he would add a nice dimension to the Blues, but I'd only do it if he came really cheap. I'd rather have Justin Williams, by far, if the dollars are anywhere similar.
Yeah, if the dollars are close, I'd have to go for Williams too, because of his history of playoff scoring. But, I think Williams will command a signicantly larger contract. Just my guess, and I'm probably wrong. (Again) (Still) :D

Matangama wrote:Honestly barnburner, it depends on price. I think he would add a nice dimension to the Blues, but I'd only do it if he came really cheap. I'd rather have Justin Williams, by far, if the dollars are anywhere similar.
This. And not to sound like a broken record, but the only UFA I want Blues to sign is one with SC winning experience.
"Do Only Good Everyday"

If he were a right handed RW, I'd like them to pick him up, IF he'd sign for $3 million or a little less. He'd be added insurance for injuries and, in case Barbashev had a "sphomore jinx". But, he's yet another RW, who I can't remember ever playing RW regularly, and he'll likely get $4 million +.

So, I'd rather add a lower cost, fast-skating younger forward with good upside potential, even if he's not as good a scorer right now.

Hartnell would certainly take ice time away from Barbashev and any of the younger forwards who might be brought up on trials later in the season, both in an even strength regular line position.