Re: 2017 NHL FA/Trade talk

UMSLBlues12 wrote:Surprised I'm saying this, but I'd be okay with bringing in a guy like Kris Versteeg if we can't land Williams to play RW. He's still only 30, put up 15 goals last year so will more or less replace Perron's production. 2 Cups and 48 points in 93 playoff games, wouldn't be bad to add some experience like that.

If our top 6 is some mix of Schwartz, Tarasenko, Schenn, Stastny, Fabbri, and Steen, for a third line we have Sobotka, Barbashev/Berglund, and a question mark on the RW spot. Williams would look great there, for the price though I think Versteeg would be okay as well, and probably give us more than Jaskin/Paajarvi/Sanford in that spot.
Sounds like per TSN that Versteeg is staying with the Flames, 1 yr, 1.75M
"Do Only Good Everyday"

UMSLBlues12 wrote:Paajarvi signed, 1 year, 1 way, 800k.
According to Cap Friendly that leaves the Blues with $10,805,833 in cap space and we have 18 of 23 roster spots signed. Not a bad deal, but not the signing I was hoping to hear about.
2018-2019 Stanley Cup Champion St. Louis Blues. And I was alive to see it happen!

stlblues1226 wrote:
UMSLBlues12 wrote:Paajarvi signed, 1 year, 1 way, 800k.
According to Cap Friendly that leaves the Blues with $10,805,833 in cap space and we have 18 of 23 roster spots signed. Not a bad deal, but not the signing I was hoping to hear about.
True. I wonder if this ends up being like the summer of 2013 when player after player was signed until there was only so much cap room left for Petro, so he pretty much had to take what was left.

Still not a fan of guys just having a couple years in the league getting full market value contracts now.

Bridge contracts were in place for a reason, to get you from your ELC to your big fat pay day. Now it's ELC straight to the brinks truck. The days of young cost controlled players are gone.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:Still not a fan of guys just having a couple years in the league getting full market value contracts now.

Bridge contracts were in place for a reason, to get you from your ELC to your big fat pay day. Now it's ELC straight to the brinks truck. The days of young cost controlled players are gone.
It is certainly happening more than it used to, and I agree it is happening more than it should. That said, it is still the exception and not the rule. It used to be only for exceptional players like Tarasenko and now McDavid. The bar is just getting a little lower each year.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:
stlblues1226 wrote:
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:Jaromir Jagr is a national treasure and if you don't agree with me I will straight up fight you.
What nation?
Every nation.

The men want to be him, the women want to be with him.
Jagr Lemieux 2020!!!

Does anyone remember a few years ago when Jagr was banging some like, 19 year old European model, who took pictures of filmed (can't remember which) it, and tried to blackmail him with it? And Jagr was just like, I literally don't care if you tell everyone. His response to the whole thing was hilarious.

Parayko article from THN:

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/artic ... very-penny

What would everyone be comfortable giving Parayko on an 8 year deal, if we try and max out the term like this article suggests? I think 6M would be around the highest I'd like to go. Petro's deal, at 6.5M per, was signed after he had 118 points in 207 games in the previous 3 "full" seasons (one lockout shortened). Parayko has two seasons with 68 points in 160 games. Points aren't everything, but that combined with the fact that Parayko won't have a top-pair role essentially as long as Petro is here makes me think the Blues won't go higher than Petro's deal, but cap increases and such since then make me think it will be close.

Personally, I think there is a >90% chance that Parayko's deal is one of two terms, either 1 year or 6 years. I just don't see the team being eager to go out to 32 on him and then need to sign him to another big deal to keep him. The best way to keep him around for the entirety of his career is to get him for 6 years now when he's 24 and then 6-8 years on his next deal when he'll be 30 and, presumably, in the middle of his prime. The only way I see a likely outcome other than 1 or 6 years is if he goes to arbitration and the other side picks a 2 year award.

UMSLBlues12 wrote:Parayko article from THN:

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/artic ... very-penny

What would everyone be comfortable giving Parayko on an 8 year deal, if we try and max out the term like this article suggests? I think 6M would be around the highest I'd like to go. Petro's deal, at 6.5M per, was signed after he had 118 points in 207 games in the previous 3 "full" seasons (one lockout shortened). Parayko has two seasons with 68 points in 160 games. Points aren't everything, but that combined with the fact that Parayko won't have a top-pair role essentially as long as Petro is here makes me think the Blues won't go higher than Petro's deal, but cap increases and such since then make me think it will be close.
If Parayko goes for an 8 year deal, I'm fine if it's between a $5.0M - $6.0M cap hit. That to me indicates give and take on both sides. The Blues get him locked up for 8 years at a reasonable price and Parayko gets a nice payday before completely showing that he is a consistent NHL top tier defenseman.

If he goes for a bridge deal, it would probably be 3 years at $4M - $5M cap hit. But then, if he progresses like we all hope he will, he will cost at least $7M a season. I think an 8 year deal between $5M and $6M AAV would the best of both worlds.

Again, this kind of thing right here is why I'm glad I'm not a GM. I love to criticize from a distance using hindsight. That's much easier.
2018-2019 Stanley Cup Champion St. Louis Blues. And I was alive to see it happen!

Bob McKenzie‏ @TSNBobMcKenzie 3m3 minutes ago
Orlov's yr-by-yr breakdown: $6.5M, $6.5M, $6.5M, $4.5M, $3.3, $3.3M. $12M in signing bonus, $18.6M in salary. 5-team NTC starts in 19-20.

Thats 6 years, 5.1M per. Orlov isn't as good as Parayko but has more years in the NHL...deals might be somewhat similar.

1. I'm sorry but just NO to the Chris Neil rumors. If Armstrong does this, it's going against the direction he's trying to take the team in.

2. Parayko's fair market value to me is 5.5-6 mil per year. I agree with most other posters, I would try to come to a compromise at 8 yrs, 6 mil per. He will be a Norris trophy winner some day, probably before Pietro (if he ever gets one).