Re: Expansion Draft 6/21 Discussion Thread

UMSLBlues12 wrote:
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:Perron picked
Source: #VGK is going to select F David Perron from #Blues tonight.
Source: @raphdoucet

Source tells me #Winnipeg's & now former #Stars forward Cody Eakin is a Las Vegas Golden Knight
Source: @JimTothSports

Russo reports that in exchange for choosing Haula and not picking one of defencemen Matt Dumba or Marco Scandella or centre Eric Staal, the Wild have agreed to trade prospect Alex Tuch and a conditional future draft pick to Vegas.
Source: Mike Russo
Wow, Tuch is a pretty good prospect. Kinda surprised at this. They must really like Dumba.
If Minnesota doesn't fire their GM tomorrow something is wrong.

They got taken to the woodshed. Again.

The Blues had to have known when they signed Perron before last season that this was a potential outcome. It got them a 3rd liner for a season with few strings attached. If they found that he'd developed into more of an asset they could have protected him. He hadn't, so they exposed him. And if Vegas didn't pick him he probably would have been serviceable in St. Louis for another year.

Ok, so with Perron officially out, we've got 11 forwards under contract, plus Paajarvi who I'd imagine we sign as an RFA. I'm assuming Yak and Upshall are gone. Upfront right now that leaves us with a lineup looking something like:

Schwartz-Stastny-Tarasenko
Steen-Berglund-Fabbri
Sobotka-Lehtera-Jaskin
Paajarvi-Brodziak-Reaves
Obviously you can switch a few players up and down the lineup, but those are the names as it stands right now.

On D, we're looking very familiar:
Bouwmeester-Petro
Edmundson-Parayko
Gunnarsson-Bortz

The AHL guys have a chance to earn spots, but again, thats where things stand at the moment. There's about $10 Million of cap space remaining, a healthy chunk of which will go to Parayko, and a small amount likely to Paajarvi. With all that being said, what do you all expect? Mid-level free agents coming in for depth? A trade with salary going out to add some scoring up front? A trade for draft picks? Nothing at all, but opportunities for the next wave of talent to earn spots? I'm sure I'm not alone in hoping there's a trade to be made to add a Center for the top line (or even second and let Stastny run with Tarasenko), but I'm not sure how likely that is. I'm sure there will be a flurry of action league wide in the next few days, I just hope that the Blues come out ahead as a result.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote:Ok, so with Perron officially out, we've got 11 forwards under contract, plus Paajarvi who I'd imagine we sign as an RFA. I'm assuming Yak and Upshall are gone. Upfront right now that leaves us with a lineup looking something like:

Steen-Berglund-Fabbri
Sobotka-Lehtera-Jaskin
Paajarvi-Brodziak-Reaves
Obviously you can switch a few players up and down the lineup, but those are the names as it stands right now.

Bouwmeester-Petro
Edmundson-Parayko
Gunnarsson-Bortz

The AHL guys have a chance to earn spots, but again, thats where things stand at the moment. There's about $10 Million of cap space remaining, a healthy chunk of which will go to Parayko, and a small amount likely to Paajarvi. With all that being said, what do you all expect? Mid-level free agents coming in for depth? A trade with salary going out to add some scoring up front? A trade for draft picks? Nothing at all, but opportunities for the next wave of talent to earn spots? I'm sure I'm not alone in hoping there's a trade to be made to add a Center for the top line (or even second and let Stastny run with Tarasenko), but I'm not sure how likely that is. I'm sure there will be a flurry of action league wide in the next few days, I just hope that the Blues come out ahead as a result.
I left out Barbashev. I assume he'd have to have a brutal summer to not be a part of the opening day lineup. Not sure where he slots with this bunch at the moment, but I think it'd probably be best for all parties if he could start the year as 3rd line center and see where it goes from there.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Barbashev would beat out Jaškin for a 3rd Line spot. Then Jaškin and Pääjärvi fight for the last 4th Line spot. That assumes that no forward is acquired by The Blues. But, I'd bet that The Blues acquire a Top 6 forward, given all the player movement involved with Las Vegas flipping players. Maybe The Blues will get Neal? I'd rather get someone better.

Dave's a mess wrote:Ok, so with Perron officially out, we've got 11 forwards under contract, plus Paajarvi who I'd imagine we sign as an RFA. I'm assuming Yak and Upshall are gone. Upfront right now that leaves us with a lineup looking something like:

Steen-Berglund-Fabbri
Sobotka-Lehtera-Jaskin
Paajarvi-Brodziak-Reaves

Bouwmeester-Petro
Edmundson-Parayko
Gunnarsson-Bortz

Only 10% of the population is left handed....How do the Blues have so many left handed players? Are lefties just naturally better at hockey than righties? Someone get to the bottom of this
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:

Steen-Berglund-Fabbri
Sobotka-Lehtera-Jaskin
Paajarvi-Brodziak-Reaves

Bouwmeester-Petro
Edmundson-Parayko
Gunnarsson-Bortz

Only 10% of the population is left handed....How do the Blues have so many left handed players? Are lefties just naturally better at hockey than righties? Someone get to the bottom of this
A person's dexterity doesn't determine what way a person shoots in hockey. I'm right hand dominant, but shoot left in in hockey, which is very normal.

Side note, and a quirky stat, they say it's due to hockey, but in Canada, it's around 30-35% of golfers who play left handed, while in the states its still in the single digits (or around 10%). This is mostly attributed to hockey up here, but who knows.

Most everybody i played with in high school was right handed and shot left. I am right handed and shoot right but my youngest son is right handed and he shoots left. Never made much sense to me but I can't tell you how many times people told me, your dominant hand should be at the top of the hockey stick.
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

NHLTIM wrote:Most everybody i played with in high school was right handed and shot left. I am right handed and shoot right but my youngest son is right handed and he shoots left. Never made much sense to me but I can't tell you how many times people told me, your dominant hand should be at the top of the hockey stick.
My son is right handed and shoots left... my brother is right handed and shoots left.... That's just what they chose, but I have heard the same thing -- that the dominant hand should do the pulling. I have heard that Russian coaches, in particular, insist that this is the proper way to do it.

Bret Hull is a lefty, by the way.

insideout wrote:
NHLTIM wrote:Most everybody i played with in high school was right handed and shot left. I am right handed and shoot right but my youngest son is right handed and he shoots left. Never made much sense to me but I can't tell you how many times people told me, your dominant hand should be at the top of the hockey stick.
My son is right handed and shoots left... my brother is right handed and shoots left.... That's just what they chose, but I have heard the same thing -- that the dominant hand should do the pulling when you shoot. I have heard that Russian coaches, in particular, insist that this is the proper way to do it.

Bret Hull is a lefty, by the way.