Jeff Gordon of the Post-Dispatch Suggests......

that the Blues keep doing what they have been doing for 50 years. Be reactive instead of proactive. When do the Blues come up with their own plan for success instead of trying to copy another teams success? Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again but expecting different results. There are a whole lot of bat shit crazy people running the Blues organization.

Maybe I'm wrong (which is a distinct posibility) but it just seems that after every playoff exit the Blues decide to fashion their team like whoever beats them and/or makes it to the Cup final. First it was heave hockey, like the Kings. Then it was the speed game like the Hawks. When do the Blues become the Blues and not a less successful copy of another team? The Blues won't accomplish much until they become the Blues. They won't have the success of the Kings or the Hawks or the Predators because they aren't those teams. Sure. imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, but for the Blues, just like imitation crab, the imitation is just not as good as the real thing.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/ ... 0c244.html
Blues fans are suffering from a severe case of Predators Envy these days, and understandably so.

Nashville dismissed the Blues in six games while making its first deep playoff run. The Predators built a dynamic top line and a top four defensive corps that is the envy of the league.

Never mind the Los Angeles Kings, who missed the playoffs entirely this year while getting coach Darryl Sutter fired. Forget the salary cap-strapped Chicago Blackhawks, who couldn’t advance past the first round during the last two years.

Those perennial Western Conference powerhouses have slipped. The Predators now loom as the official Blues nemesis on this side of the league.

How did this happen? And how will Blues general manager Doug Armstrong respond?

Predators GM David Poile has been in Nashville since 1997, building and rebuilding teams in that expansion market. The Predators have reached the postseason 10 times in the last 13 years, but this is their first foray past the second round.

Many smart moves led to this breakout. In 2013 Poile sent the Ghost of Martin Erat to Washington for prospect Filip Forsberg, who blossomed into a 30-goal scorer and playoff terror. This was nearly as ridiculous as the Blues sending defensive prospect David Rundblad to Ottawa in 2010 for the right to draft Vladimir Tarasenko.

Midway through last season, Poile dealt offensive defenseman Seth Jones, the fourth overall pick in the 2013 draft, to Columbus for big center Ryan Johansen, the fourth overall pick in 2010. This was a rare “hockey trade” as the GMs say, talent for talent without salary cap considerations.

Armstrong notes that finding an available big center these days is like finding Sasquatch, but Columbus was willing to trade Sasquatch, er, Johansen because he clashed with coach John Tortorella.

The Blues need a center like Johansen to anchor their top line, but Armstrong knows pickings will be slim in the trade market. Other teams (like Colorado) will want defenseman Colton Parayko (with his Seth Jones-like potential) in exchange for a disgruntled center (like Matt Duchene).

And Armstrong won’t want to go there. The free agent market looks thin, which is why he bucked up to regain Vladimir Sobotka from Russia. Gambling on another team’s salary dump won’t work, since Parayko is due a new contract that will push the Blues up against the salary cap for next season.

Poile’s boldest move in his Nashville career was sending franchise mainstay Shea Weber to Montreal for P.K. Subban in a blockbuster, allowing the Predators to add a lower-mileage defenseman to their nucleus. His most sensible move was sitting back and letting Predators draft picks Roman Josi, Viktor Arvidsson, Ryan Ellis, Mattias Ekholm and Colin Wilson yield huge returns over time.

Armstrong hopes the Blues can continue emulating that draft-and-develop strategy to enjoy similar growth. Tarasenko, Parayko, Jaden Schwartz, Alex Pietrangelo and Jake Allen have emerged as the new Blues nucleus. Forward Robby Fabbri should join that group after recovering from knee surgery and learning from last season’s slow start.

Maybe Zach Sanford could eventually emerge as a big center after coming from Washington with a first-round pick in the Kevin Shattenkirk trade. Perhaps top 2016 pick Tage Thompson could be that guy, but he will need a year or two in the AHL.

Forward Ivan Barbashev will fit in somewhere next season and young defensemen Jordan Schmaltz, Vince Dunn and Jake Walman will push for work, giving Armstrong leverage. “We are really excited about some of these young players that we have coming,” he noted. “But that doesn’t mean anything unless they start to reach their potential, too.”

Armstrong hopes that replacing Ken Hitchock with Mike Yeo in midseason will accelerate their development. Back in 2014, Poile fired coach Barry Trotz, ending an epic 15-years run, and hired Peter Laviolette to hit the refresh button.

Now the Predators are a force. Armstrong is hoping for the same long-term payoff with his change, but first he must clean up his roster, starting with the expansion draft.

If he can’t strike a deal with Las Vegas to take an asset of his choosing, he should protect human bulldozer Ryan Reaves and expose David Perron (a depth scorer who vanished in the playoffs) along with expendable forwards Dmitrij Jaskin and Jori Lehtera.

This team carried too much dead weight last season. Jaskin disappeared again. Lehtera looked like he was skating at the beach. Nail Yakupov was a waste of time and fellow winger Magnus Paajarvi, another restricted free agent, didn’t spring to life until March.

Assuming Armstrong won’t be able to dump Lehtera and his $4.7 million cap hit for the next two years, the Blues must revive him next season while simultaneously giving Sanford and Barbashev their opportunity to grow.

Looking forward, Armstrong will decide how to use the salary cap space he could gain during the next two years. Center Paul Stastny has one year left on his contract with a $7 million hit and defenseman Jay Bouwmeester has two years left at $5.4 million.

“My responsibility to the ownership group is to give them a one-, three- and five-year plan and then make short-, medium- and long-term decisions based on that,” Armstrong said.

But right now Blues fans are interested in that one-year plan with the Predators celebrating their long-awaited breakout.
2018-2019 Stanley Cup Champion St. Louis Blues. And I was alive to see it happen!

Re: Jeff Gordon of the Post-Dispatch Suggests......

RAFritchey wrote:I don't think we're looking to emulate their on-ice style, but "draft and develop" has ALWAYS been the key to lasting success, even more so in the salary cap era.
right:
His most sensible move was sitting back and letting Predators draft picks Roman Josi, Viktor Arvidsson, Ryan Ellis, Mattias Ekholm and Colin Wilson yield huge returns over time.
exactly. creating a highly competitive hockey team doesn't just happen overnight (unless they remove the cap and someone who enjoys living deeply in the red writes blank checks. but even then, chemistry is a fickle thing). you have to have a plan, trust in that plan, and make shrewd trades when the opportunity presents itself.

essentially, "wait" is the real plan.

also, why would the blues want to emulate a team that has reached the playoffs 10/13 times and never gone past the second round? we are that team. further, the blues' plan seemed to work fine when we made the playoffs every year of our existence for the first couple decades or so. not saying nashville is a fluke - they drafted/developed the right players and made the right trades - but you have to play the long game in hockey management. the other teams he mentions, and plenty he doesn't, all hit a home run in the draft. we had the opportunity and chose eric johnson. sometimes you fuck up. it happens. learn from it and be better going forward. i guess also hire the right people. wasn't jarmo's approach always "draft the best player available, not to a specific need"? so he honestly thought johnson was a better player than those that were drafted immediately after him & later? obviously not the right person to evaluate talent, or manage those that did.

Poile is fine, but as TC alluded to, he's been GM for the Preds since day one, so it's not like he's the most brilliant hockey mind in the business. He does however deserve credit for taking advantage of some GMs that were backed into a corner and/or just stupid with the trades for Subban, Johansen and Forsberg. Those are 3 home run trades in an era where most GMs just bitch about how hard trading is nowadays. I could be wrong, but I believe Armstrong was in the running for Johansen, but Columbus wisely preferred a deal for Seth Jones rather than one built around Shattenkirk.

I think the future is still bright for the Blues. I think they might be more active in the offseason than expected, particularly with 2 first round picks to use as trade chips.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

I don't envy Nashville other than them going to the finals and we aren't.
To me, when Gordon talks about hockey it's a lot of guessing and throwing shit against the wall. I don't take him seriously.

I'm ok with the draft and develop strategy as long as there are some trades thrown in which pay dividends. Acquiring bottom pair dmen and bottom 6 forwards don't return the dividends like taking a shot with a young forsberg or even a hockey trade like Poile did with Subban and Johansen.
Draft and develop + trades is what seems to be the formula.

I guess my point is that the Blues need to stop chasing it and just do it. They need to pick the strategy they want to go with and just go. Stop trying to reinvent themselves when a team with a different style goes deep in the playoffs. They are always chasing someone else instead of going their own way.

I fully understand that it can and usually does take several years. But, when you keep moving your own goalposts, you never reach your goal. I was really hoping that the road was finally selected when the Blues got the first overall pick and missed the playoffs for several seasons. Seems like I was wrong.

I'm fine going through a period of transition, but when the goal of that transition keeps changing, you get a conference final every 16 years or so. Nashville had a plan and stuck with it. Now they're in the Cup final.

Maybe my desire for the Blues to win a Cup is clouding my judgement, but that's how I see it.
2018-2019 Stanley Cup Champion St. Louis Blues. And I was alive to see it happen!

I'd also add that the Blues, in spite of all of the upheaval this season, were very close to the Preds in just about every game. IIRC, aside from empty net goals, ALL of the games were won by 1 goal. If Steen and Fabbri aren't injured, our PP isn't so dismal, Parayko chips in more offense, it could be an entirely different story.

I still don't think EITHER team would/will win against the Pens, though.

When I saw Gordon's headline I refused to read the article and told a friend that the biggest problem the Blues have had is trying to emulate the previous year's Cup winner instead of perfecting the team we have utilizing the players and coaches we have in place. We're always trying to follow the trend instead of just building a great team based upon our own strengths.

Doug Armstrong has no clue how to build a Cup winning team so he wastes all of our time trying to copy the latest big thing instead of building a team that others want to emulate.

The Kings are big and tough , let's to that.
The Hawks are fast and skilled, let's do that.
The Kings are big and tough , let's to that.
The Hawks are fast and skilled, let's do that.

Its easy to complain about a guy whos doing a real tough job.

I am happy with Army and Stillman. Real happy, because I can remember way back to Ron Caron and his awful work. The guy cost us 5 FIRST ROUND DRAFT PICKS! Other Blues hits: Traded a stanley cup final away to Vancouver for Garth Butcher and Dan Quinn. Couldn't keep Adam Oates happy. Hell, the Blues didn't even show up to a draft one year. For a while the Blues were moving to the east coast somewhere...

This administration is light years ahead of what we had.

I don't think it was as much DA/Stillman as it was the previous leadership and mostly Hitch. IIRC, that 'we are going to be reckless/fast/big&physical talk was mostly from Hitch trying to sell his same old same old in a new wrapper.

So far, I haven't heard Yeo or DA try to 'sell' a new system, but to implement one that will work for the players we have, rather than trying to fit all our players into a nice little box as Hitch did. Respect to Hitch, blah blah blah, but that is why IMHO he gets 'old' is because he doesn't change his system, no matter how much he tells himself, management, players, or the fans that he is. I think the best thing about Yeo has been his consistency with lines and message, along with knowing how to motivate the players.
"Do Only Good Everyday"