Goose eggs in the first 30 min

First off, way to go Elliott! Those are the good kinda goose eggs.

The Blues' "game" is to grind the other team down, don't take risks, don't dangle, no drop passes, cycle the puck, "buy in" and use the "system" to score. It works a lot and it appears that the team is "buying in".

However, we have seen a lot of goose eggs in the first 30 min. If they don't score for the first 30 in the PO I think the Blues are going to be playing from behind a LOT. How are they going to dial it up in the early part of the games to score? OR do they just stick with the game plan? I'm guessing Hitch will say stick with the game plan. What do you all think happens?

I will also add that low scoring early could be especially concerning if you buy into WebSant's theory that you need 4-ish goals a game to guarantee a win. If you are not scoring for the first half, you are probably going to have a tough time hitting that mark - Tues aside ;)

And yes this is nitpicking a great team, but we know the Blues have been stung by low scoring in a few of the most recent PO series.

Re: Goose eggs in the first 30 min

Throw all the stats out the window when the playoffs begin.
Everybody starts fresh, best team wins. I think the Blues are much better prepared, both talent wise, and mentally, than they have been in past years. No guarantee that it will lead to more success, because we are going to face some really strong teams, but I think we have a better chance to to the second or third round.

I would add that I have not looked long and hard at the impact of when goals are scored.

Just the total scored during the game.

What is crystal clear is that, based on last year's playoffs, you can expect to lose if you score 1 or 2 goals.

4 goals just about assures a win.

And, the easiest way to increase goal production is to put players on the ice who have demonstrated, recently, an ability to score goals.

barnburner wrote:Throw all the stats out the window when the playoffs begin.
Everybody starts fresh, best team wins. I think the Blues are much better prepared, both talent wise, and mentally, than they have been in past years. No guarantee that it will lead to more success, because we are going to face some really strong teams, but I think we have a better chance to to the second or third round.
In defense of the OP, it is still the case in the playoffs that the team that scores the most goals in any game wins the game.

And, that this is how "best" is defined. Wins versus Losses.

At least in terms of who wins the Cup.

And, there are consistent trends over the past two playoffs, at least, in terms of how many goals it takes to win a game in the playoffs.

And, those trends appear to be not much, if any, different from what it takes in the regular season.

Thanks WebSant. I appreciate the info you put out there. I am assuming that the Blues in-game plan is going to remain pretty similar since Hitch believes in it. Makes me wonder if we will see the same slow start for the offense.

Which might be a problem because I agree with STL fan in IA that they look better when they have the lead. Every team changes their game a little when they are behind, it just happens. Grip the stick tighter, over-pursue on the fore-check, back in out of caution on defense instead of challenging the puck...

I think that first goal is going to be VERY important to the Blues in order to keep the snake-bitten playoff feeling at bay. I don't think the Blues can afford to risk being pulled off of "their game" by being behind.

I know that all sounds obvious. I guess the question is, the Blues need to play within their capabilities but do they need to take more risk and pinch a little more on D, try a risky stretch pass, etc.? or do they just stick with the grind em down, wear em out game plan that Hitch preaches.