Re: First impressions on Michalek

As I previously mentioned in another post about post season pairings - Michalek didn't "wow" me. Probably because I was spoiled by the splash made by Bortz in his first few games.

They are completely different players, so I'm sure that has something to do with things, as well. Michalek is a puck mover whereas Bortz is known more for being capable with the stick but is more known for his ability to inject energy into a team with this stand up, physical style - which he has definitely delivered in his early performances in StL.

wizard pork sword wrote:I was only able to catch part of the games and they were both in social settings so I wasn't able to pay close attention.

What are the early returns on the new Blueliner?
IMO+$1.75 might get you a cup of coffee at jitb but here it is.

Seeing how Backes, Oshie, and others have returnd from their concussions plus the fact that he changed teams and systems we should wait 6-8 more games untill we pass final judgment.

To me his play while not perfect has been fine to this point considering how much time he's played with his new team.

He positioned himself well, played with a lot of poise, made accurate, quick passes, quick to recognise and read plays and made quick decisions (mostly the correct one) and to react. Supported his shiftmates. He's done really well, considering that he's learning to play with his new teammates. I expect him to solidify the defence substantially in the playoffs, by adding a calming influence and keeping marginal defenders off the ice for the most part, as well as adding excellent play to the PK, with his great positioning, play-reading, shot blocking and active stick.