Re: Who is the best goalie in franchise history?

Battra wrote:Stark Trek is the purist American optimism!
I'm not going to argue with that. I love the pioneering spirit that pervades Star Trek. I watched those shows every Saturday morning/afternoon on local TV in StL when I was a kid.

I've seen a few of the movies too. They are pretty cool. I'm not a Trekky (sp?), but I'm definitely sympathetic to Star Trek and it's genre.

Re: Who is the best goalie in franchise history?

Potsos wrote:
Robb_K wrote:
Potsos wrote:Hard question to answer because of the difficulty of comparing goalies across generations. Also have to angle the question either as "Who is the best goalie to ever play for the Blues?" (I'd go with one of Hall, Plante or Fuhr) or "Who is the goalie who played the best as a St. Louis Blue" and I'd have to go with Hall because of his general strong play eith the Blues and performance as Smythe Trophy winner in the '68 Cup finals.

If Elliott plays well and backstops us to a Cup, I'd probably move him up to number 2, at least.
His rising to the occasion, and playing steadily as a Top10-12 NHL starter over this year's whole playoffs, and happening to play in all games of a Stanley Cup drive on a team playing above average defence, and scoring well, does not make him better than Mike Liut, who single-handedly, won a lot more games for teams with poor defences and weak scoring, nor better than Jacques Plante, who played on a much higher level, against super teams in The Finals, and so, DIDN'T end up winning The Stanley Cup while with The Blues.

Elliott is NOT going to steal a whole Finals series on his own. He might be really hot, at the same time as his team plays poorly, and he'll steal a game. He's not going to steal whole series from the best Western Conference teams, not The SCF from the remaining Eastern Conference team while The Blues play poorly, mainly because he has too many weaknesses in his game to be classed with Hall, Plante and other great goalies. He isn't likely to ever play anywhere near as well as Mike Liut did at his best. Crawford, Osgood, Conklin all played on Stanley Cup winners. That didn't prove they were better than Mike Liut because he didn't win. They just had significantly better support from their teams.
Ok, Miss Cleo.

I don't disagree mostly with what you've said about Liut's skill compared to Elliott, but winning is the bottom line. The rest of your post is a lot of guesses about something that hasn't even happened yet and you have no way of knowing.
Miss Cleo.

That's a riot.