Re: Berglund Signs Extension

St. Louis Blues ‏@StLouisBlues
Blues agree to five-year, $19.25 million contract extension with Patrik Berglund.
I love that the Blues include the terms in the tweet. Some teams still don't do that, which is just really outdated in my opinion.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

If he plays out the contract in St. Louis and averages 60 games or so per year, he'll be the team's all-time leader in games played. Who'd a thunk?

I was against signing him because I'm pretty sure he's playing at his peak right now, but for that money it makes sense.

insideout wrote:If he plays out the contract in St. Louis and averages 60 games or so per year, he'll be the team's all-time leader in games played. Who'd a thunk?

I was against signing him because I'm pretty sure he's playing at his peak right now, but for that money it makes sense.
I was thinking about that too when I saw the term. How many times has he been traded by the fans since he was drafted?
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

wannabebluesplayer wrote:I think you can rule out a sign and trade as well with Berglund. Unless Lehtera is taken by LV in the expansion, I think your centers next year are Stastny, Lehtera, Berglund, and Brodziak.
This team still needs a #1 center. I don't really like the deal. Lehtera has to be going somewhere.

BluesSK wrote:
wannabebluesplayer wrote:I think you can rule out a sign and trade as well with Berglund. Unless Lehtera is taken by LV in the expansion, I think your centers next year are Stastny, Lehtera, Berglund, and Brodziak.
This team still needs a #1 center. I don't really like the deal. Lehtera has to be going somewhere.
Where? Who's going to take that on? The only team I see doing that is LV if the Blues give them a sweetheart deal to go along with it. Then, you have to ask yourself, who would you rather give up to free up space, Bouwmeester or Lehtera?

wannabebluesplayer wrote:
BluesSK wrote:
Where? Who's going to take that on? The only team I see doing that is LV if the Blues give them a sweetheart deal to go along with it. Then, you have to ask yourself, who would you rather give up to free up space, Bouwmeester or Lehtera?
If they wanted to keep Lehtera then they should have traded Berglund and vice versa. I guess they should have let Lehtera walk. JayBo still has value.

The point remains though that this team won't have addressed their most pressing need by signing both Berglund and Lehtera.

Berglund has 4 fewer points than Backes (but 5 more goals than him), and will be making 3.8M a year starting his age 29 season.

Backes is making 6M a year starting in his age 32 season.

Not trying to directly compare the two players because obviously they have differing skillsets and such, but you have to figure both of their roles on their respective teams moving forward is 3rd line Cs, so just a bit of perspective.

But man this makes that Lehtera contract look just awful.

barnburner wrote:Very solid deal, imo. I used to hate Berglund, and wanted him gone at all costs, but over the past 2 or 3 seasons he has turned himself into a solid 3rd line forward. To be honest, I expected an average of 4.3 to 4.5 per year. Blues came out well on this deal.
yeah, this. when i heard they extended him i was pretty let down, given his value won't ever be higher. when i heard the term i was even more bummed. then i heard the money. there is no way the blues find a player of his caliber for that money, especially if he plays the way he has this year. he did give us a discount, no question. good deal.

T.C. wrote:
barnburner wrote:Very solid deal, imo. I used to hate Berglund, and wanted him gone at all costs, but over the past 2 or 3 seasons he has turned himself into a solid 3rd line forward. To be honest, I expected an average of 4.3 to 4.5 per year. Blues came out well on this deal.
yeah, this. when i heard they extended him i was pretty let down, given his value won't ever be higher. when i heard the term i was even more bummed. then i heard the money. there is no way the blues find a player of his caliber for that money, especially if he plays the way he has this year. he did give us a discount, no question. good deal.
Forget the exact figures, but in the last two years of his contract, he will be making less than 3mill a year. That contract will in all likelyhood, looks extremely good by then.

barnburner wrote:
T.C. wrote:
Forget the exact figures, but in the last two years of his contract, he will be making less than 3mill a year. That contract will in all likelyhood, looks extremely good by then.
Looks like they are expecting big things from Barbs...I like it actually.

UMSLBlues12 wrote:http://sports.yahoo.com/news/what-we-le ... 47323.html

This dude, whoever he is, does not like the Berglund deal :lol:

Although, I'm not sure he knows much about hockey considering he says that Petro is consistently the third best defensemen on the Blues...
I saw that article this morning and it kind of made me want to keep Shatty long term, but it doesn't make sense financially to have that much money tied up on one side of your defense.