Re: Breakout players according to thn

Turk Sanderson wrote:Although I would have kept Moose, I like the fact that the Blues youth is being served... in fact, I'd like to see them get even younger.
I certainly understand where you are coming from, but I think it was time to move Elliott. Blues sold high, and Elliott for Kyrou is a good long term move. Also Blues get a 3rd rounder in 2018 if Calgary resigns Elliott.

He'll do well in Calgary being the guy. BTW watch out for Calgary. They'll be fun to watch.

I have tons of respect for Moose. I'll miss the Cujo pads, too.

Doug Glatt wrote:
Turk Sanderson wrote:Although I would have kept Moose, I like the fact that the Blues youth is being served... in fact, I'd like to see them get even younger.
I certainly understand where you are coming from, but I think it was time to move Elliott. Blues sold high, and Elliott for Kyrou is a good long term move. Also Blues get a 3rd rounder in 2018 if Calgary resigns Elliott.

He'll do well in Calgary being the guy. BTW watch out for Calgary. They'll be fun to watch.

Nothing against Jake...hope he does well, but I see this as a more of a transition year for this team from the coaching staff on down. Moose would provide a more steadying influence...I'd rather Jake took the job from him, rather than be handed it. We shall see.

Turk Sanderson wrote:
Doug Glatt wrote:

Nothing against Jake...hope he does well, but I see this as a more of a transition year for this team from the coaching staff on down. Moose would provide a more steadying influence...I'd rather Jake took the job from him, rather than be handed it. We shall see.
Allen's progression over the past three years and age seems to indicate that he's ready, imo. I think most would agree that Allen has the higher ceiling regarding skill and athleticism compared to Elliott. Having said that Elliott's .930 save % last season will be missed. He was really steady last season and playoffs.

I agree this feels like a transitional year, but when I look at our roster this team is certainly capable of competing against the best.

The youth does make this team more of wildcard rather than a known commodity, but the skill and talent is there.

Doug Glatt wrote:
Turk Sanderson wrote:
Doug Glatt wrote:

Allen's progression over the past three years and age seems to indicate that he's ready, imo. I think most would agree that Allen has the higher ceiling regarding skill and athleticism compared to Elliott. Having said that Elliott's .930 save % last season will be missed. He was really steady last season and playoffs.

I agree this feels like a transitional year, but when I look at our roster this team is certainly capable of competing against the best.

The youth does make this team more of wildcard rather than a known commodity, but the skill and talent is there.
Jake hasn't got the mental makeup that Moose has...he hasn't learned to put bad things behind himself yet. He tends to unravel too easy for my liking. I hope that changes.

If Fabbri and Allen really break out as star players then this team could be really dangerous. I kinda expect Fabbri to break out (think 55-70 points). I like Allen but with goalies it's always tough until they've proven they can handle a starter's load. If Allen can break out in a similar way to Holtby a couple years ago then I like the team's makeup a lot.

TR-USA wrote:I have said it here before and so have others. Jaskin's biggest problem is his poor skating. He is easily one of the worst skaters in the NHL if not the worst. All aspects of his skating need to improve greatly if he hopes to become an NHL regular.
How does someone get this far and not be able to skate really well?

CaptSMRT wrote:
TR-USA wrote:I have said it here before and so have others. Jaskin's biggest problem is his poor skating. He is easily one of the worst skaters in the NHL if not the worst. All aspects of his skating need to improve greatly if he hopes to become an NHL regular.
Its all relative. Jaskin is a better skater than any 8 of us combined, he just needs to get better compared to other NHL'ers. Not sure exactly where he fits on the depth at right wing. Now I think its 3rd behind Tank and Perron.

39hurricane wrote:
CaptSMRT wrote:
Its all relative. Jaskin is a better skater than any 8 of us combined, he just needs to get better compared to other NHL'ers. Not sure exactly where he fits on the depth at right wing. Now I think its 3rd behind Tank and Perron.
It only takes five lions to make GOD damn Voltron...you didn't really think this through.

CaptSMRT wrote:
39hurricane wrote:
CaptSMRT wrote:
It only takes five lions to make GOD damn Voltron...you didn't really think this through.
Yeah, but have you seen Voltron skating? He's got a decent stride but his first-step acceleration is horrible.

RAFritchey wrote:
CaptSMRT wrote:
39hurricane wrote:
Yeah, but have you seen Voltron skating? He's got a decent stride but his first-step acceleration is horrible.
the fuck you talking about? he's got mega-thrusters.

39hurricane wrote:
CaptSMRT wrote:
Correct. When I say he is a poor skater I am comparing him to other players in the NHL. So, yes he is a better skater than most hockey players in the world but in the NHL he is one of the worst. I think he has got by because of his size and his ability to use it to his advantage. He protects the puck well and wins a lot of puck battles on the boards. He is physical while carrying the puck which makes him hard defend. At lower levels like AHL and major juniors where he has done well and has put up points because of his skill set but the game is much slower and his skating is not a liability at those levels. In the NHL he is playing against players who are superior skaters and are just as physical/big or know how play in order to minimize his skill set. If he can set up low and work out of the corners and in front of the net he is a tough player to play against and generates a good amount of offense and is very effective. However, teams are often able to isolate him causing turnovers because of his speed. I am not ready to give up on him because if he can improve his skating he could become a good top 6 forward.

CaptSMRT wrote:
Especially growing up in Russia, and having his father be a pro hockey player, and playing in The Czech leagues.

Robb_K wrote:
CaptSMRT wrote:
Especially growing up in Russia, and having his father be a pro hockey player, and playing in The Czech leagues.

Oh...his parents were rich and connected. Makes cents.

CaptSMRT wrote:
Robb_K wrote:
CaptSMRT wrote:

So you're saying they owned a car dealership that had a sponsorsing agreement with the local hockey team?

RAFritchey wrote:
CaptSMRT wrote:
Robb_K wrote: Especially growing up in Russia, and having his father be a pro hockey player, and playing in The Czech leagues.

So you're saying they owned a car dealership that had a sponsoring agreement with the local hockey team?
Come on down to Art Jaskin Buick.