Re: Will Perron Be Worth The Money?

I would be curious how much less in AAV the Canadians offered vs if he is thinking in 'real money' due to lower taxes in USA? I don't see it as a big deal, we lost our Captain and one of our better playoff performers over $, term, and/or town preference.

The GMs and Owners always remind us that it isn't 'personal' and it's just a business...why are we surprised when the players see it the same way?
"Do Only Good Everyday"

bradleygt89 wrote:I would be curious how much less in AAV the Canadians offered vs if he is thinking in 'real money' due to lower taxes in USA? I don't see it as a big deal, we lost our Captain and one of our better playoff performers over $, term, and/or town preference.

The GMs and Owners always remind us that it isn't 'personal' and it's just a business...why are we surprised when the players see it the same way?
Yup

It might have to do with taxes, that's true, but the first idea that struck me was that the Blues had to overpay to get even 'ok' talent here.

IMHO, there's no-one on our roster who's GROSSLY overpaid (and most analysts would agree, we don't have any "What were they thinking?" kinds of contracts), but we have a lot of guys who are somewhat overpaid for what they provide (Bouwmeester, Lehtera, Berglund, Perron, Stastny), that it kind of handcuffs the team.

Of course, we'd never have had the cash flow to sign players to ultra-long contracts with cheap buy-out values in their later years like many teams did under the last CBA (think Zack Parise and Ryan Suter, who have each made $43 mil over the last 4 years, but with cap hits of just over $7.5 mil), to keep their cap hits down, so I guess we didn't have much choice...

CaptSMRT wrote:
Turk Sanderson wrote:
CaptSMRT wrote:The worst thing going for him is that Marc Bergevin wanted to sign him...not the best judge of talent.
Bergevin always was a joker...he was probably just screwing with him. :D
P-E-RR-O-N...he's our man...if he can't do it...we'll paint his skates...pussy!!!
If he dangles when he should pass...stick those white skates up his ass! LGB!!!

Doug Glatt wrote:
bradleygt89 wrote:
BlueinNy wrote:Stake him on an ant hill covered in honey,get the rope.....
yep, we have our new Blues fan whipping boy, and there is nothing worse than being a retreaded whipping boy ;)
Forget whipping boy, Perron has become our ant man!
Ant-Man is like a good rosette...he can save the day.

If you want to suppose Blues' management knows what they're doing, then perhaps it was the term (2 years) that worked for the Blues. I have to believe they saw 15/16 as a peak and that they're conceding to taking a step or 2 backward with sights on making a serious run 2 or 3 years from now. Ideally, they'd remain competitive during the "down" years, so they accordingly bring in Perron as a gap filler. In 2 years you'll have Perron and Stastny coming off the books.... Bouwmeester the following year.... Around the same time -hopefully - Fabbri will be hitting his stride, Tarasenko will be ruling the world, Petro and Schwartz will be peaking, Allen will be coming into his own, Parayko will be developing into a top defensemen. Steen could be gone, or could be retained for veteran grit. Perhaps one or two of the kids they drafted this year will be ready to contribute by then. As disappointed as I am in this off season, I have to admit, management is playing their hand well if the plan is to make a run in '19 or '20. Why sign Backes or Brouwer if you know it won't be enough? How good will those two be in '19, '20, '21 when the rest of the team is ready to make its run?
So there's your glass-half-full assessment.... and a 2-year deal for Perron fits nicely.

insideout wrote:If you want to suppose Blues' management knows what they're doing, then perhaps it was the term (2 years) that worked for the Blues. I have to believe they saw 15/16 as a peak and that they're conceding to taking a step or 2 backward with sights on making a serious run 2 or 3 years from now. Ideally, they'd remain competitive during the "down" years, so they accordingly bring in Perron as a gap filler. In 2 years you'll have Perron and Stastny coming off the books.... Bouwmeester the following year.... Around the same time -hopefully - Fabbri will be hitting his stride, Tarasenko will be ruling the world, Petro and Schwartz will be peaking, Allen will be coming into his own, Parayko will be developing into a top defensemen. Steen could be gone, or could be retained for veteran grit. Perhaps one or two of the kids they drafted this year will be ready to contribute by then. As disappointed as I am in this off season, I have to admit, management is playing their hand well if the plan is to make a run in '19 or '20. Why sign Backes or Brouwer if you know it won't be enough? How good will those two be in '19, '20, '21 when the rest of the team is ready to make its run?
So there's your glass-half-full assessment.... and a 2-year deal for Perron fits nicely.
That certainly looks like what management is thinking. This off-season isn't flashy, but it could be one that sets this team up to succeed in a couple years.

Perron is a stop-gap, but he seemed to turn the corner in ANA. He was on a .71 ppg pace with a plus 12. He'll be a good second line guy that should allow the Blues to be very competitive, while the young core begins to hit its stride over the next couple seasons.

This upcoming season has a "handing the reins" type fell to it.