For the love of god, trade Ott.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in the 3rd it felt like Ott's line played every other shift. Seriously, this effort gets ice time crap needs to go. If the effort is there and it's plugs making the effort, they'll never be consistent.

Plus when Ott is playing it seems his effectiveness to make the opposition play harder really shows glaringly.

Hitch, sit him down please, we don't need his "energy".

Re: For the love of god, trade Ott.

The_IT_Guy wrote:I don't see how it's Ott's fault that Hitch puts his line on the ice. The 4th line is there to provide energy and fresh legs so the other lines can have a breather. I think Ott brings value to the team, maybe not equivalent to what he is paid but I don't fault him for that either.
Ott was a overpay panic signing in response to Sobotkhla. That contract is not Ott's fault. As far as 4th liners go, he's pretty effective at doing exactly what you'd ask of a 4th line player.

BluesSK wrote:I think the league is outgrowing the need for an energy line. Right now it's more like a team needs an energy "guy".

I'd like to see more scoring talent on the 4th line.
I would say that this is correct. There is a place for guys like Brodziak and Upshall, but I'm not sure Ott (and to a lesser extent Reaves) really have much use in the NHL anymore. Energy guys are nice but if you can't be counted on to produce then it's a waste of a roster spot IMO.

I don't dislike Ott. I think against certain teams his schtick can be helpful, but what he is good at is disappearing from the league.

Ott is a damn disaster. He has no place on a team that is trying to contend for a cup. Reaves at least took it upon himself to change his game and made an attempt to contribute through better passing / play making / shot taking while still making his presence known on the ice as a physical force. Ott can easily be ignored by the Blues' opponent and it becomes 5 on 4. I wish they would get him the hell off the team.

Ott is not a threat to score, not from anywhere on the ice, so I agree his effectiveness is next to nothing anymore. He probably needs to play in the AHL. There was a time when I thought he was a good character player that we could use, but with Brouwer, Brodziak, Gomez, and Upshall additions he is now completely expendable. We now have plenty of players who can hit, yap, bring a physical presence, fight a bit, move up in the lineup, and take faceoffs. Collectively the group of new guys I mentioned provide all that much better than Ott. But, we'll probably have to see him ride out his existing contract because I don't see anyone wanting to take on his salary at the deadline, not for his role anyway. Hopefully when the forward corps is healthy Ott will be on the bench. I look forward to the day hearing him as a color analyst, I think that's what he's going to be best suited for. The guy does know how to talk, I will give him that much credit.

i guess you missed his almost-goal in the 3rd? every time i see these posts, i think, "Do we have a better 4th line option?"

also, was there another line playing better for us last game that should have been out there more in the 3rd, when we're clearly losing the game and already have 3 big names injured?

T.C. wrote:i guess you missed his almost-goal in the 3rd? every time i see these posts, i think, "Do we have a better 4th line option?"

also, was there another line playing better for us last game that should have been out there more in the 3rd, when we're clearly losing the game and already have 3 big names injured?
When Ott gets 13 minutes (that's more minutes than the 3rd line individual minutes) of playing time versus 5 minutes in penalties (I'm ignoring the 10 minute misconduct) one would think via a telecast that Ott's almost goal was good. But let's remember, close only counts in horse shoe and hand grenades. I'm tiring of the Hitch "work hard to win" when he would rather Andy Murray it and skate Ott over clear better offensive players. Heart does not score goals in the playoffs, well when you don't have offensive talent to begin with.

i hear you, but when my chief complaint about the playoffs was that it was clear most of our "talent" guys didn't have the heart/spine/will to play to win, i'm all for them learning it sooner than later. ott is a tool in this course of Balls 101. when our top guys lay their head on the pillow, they should be wondering why a guy with stone hands was playing instead of them. if they can't figure it out, we're in trouble.

Until the 3rd last night, there wasn't a better line for the blues than the 4th line. Ott was one of the few out there actually doing his job. I'm not an ott hater or lover but he showed up last night when the vast majority just lolly gagged around. He is what he is.
If I were making a list of guys that weren't pulling their weight, my list would start with backes (especially last night atleast from where I was sitting).

CaptSMRT wrote:Backes...why is he even in the NHL...he couldn't look more indifferent on the ice.
I like 42, but I also agree with this. This team needs him to put up points now more than ever with the loss of Schwartz, Fabbri and Bergie still out.

There are plenty of opportunities for several guys to step up.

Ott has played well in every game this season, from what I've seen. He's played better in all these games than just about every game he played for The Blues in the 2 seasons before. Too bad he hasn't scored on those several good scoring chances he's had. But, I see no real reason to dump him off at this point. He wouldn't bring anything back, and The Blues might need him as depth, especially as he can play all 3 forward positions, is good on faceoffs and the PK.

Whoever started this thread hasn't been watching him lately, or is prejudiced from Ott's 2 years before this. Ott isn't keeping Fabbri or Rattie from getting playing time.