Traverse City Prospects Tournament

Today's the day when a few NHL teams take out their brightest and shiniest and see how they run. Team participating this year are:

CAR
CLB
CHI
DAL
DET
MIN
NYR
STL

Pool play begins today. Blues prospects play today at 3 vs CLB, Saturday at 7:30 vs NYR, and Monday at 3 vs MIN. Tourney play is Tuesday.

(edited today's game time to 3)
Last edited by SickMittsRomKnee on Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Traverse City Prospects Tournament

Here's the roster...

FORWARDS
Ivan Barbashev (2014)
Samuel Blais (2014)
Noah Bushnell (tryout)
Jaedon Descheneau (2014)
Liam Dunda (2015)
Robby Fabbri (2014)
Gabriel Fontaine (tryout)
Trent Fox (tryout)
Glenn Gawdin (2015)
Mathieu Lemay (tryout)
Adam Musil (2015)
Zach Pochiro (2013)
Carson Stadnyk (tryout)
C.J. Yakimowicz (2014)

DEFENSE
Vince Dunn (2015)
Macoy Erkamps (tryout)
Liam Murray (tryout)
Colton Parayko (2012)
Darren Raddysh (tryout)
Jordan Schmaltz (2012)
Dmitrii Sergeev (free agent signee)
Thomas Vannelli (2013)

GOALIES
Niklas Lundstrom (2011)
Luke Opilka (2015)

The coolest part of this tournament. Man I miss CapGeek. RIP Matt.

Prospect Tournament trophy to honor Wuest

TRAVERSE CITY, Mich. – The Detroit Red Wings and training camp event organizers in Traverse City announced today that the trophy awarded to the champion of the NHL Prospect Tournament has been renamed the Matthew Wuest Memorial Cup. Matthew Wuest (pronounced WEEST) was best known for developing the website CapGeek.com, which tracked salary cap data for all 30 NHL teams in real time. The site was widely-used by scouts, general managers, media and fans before it ceased operations in January 2015.

Along with his work on CapGeek, Wuest also developed and maintained RedWingsCentral.com (RWC) which provided rankings, scouting profiles and features focused on Detroit Red Wings prospects. Launched in 2001, RWC became widely-read by scouts and fans alike before it shut down operations in 2014.

RWC’s exclusive coverage of the NHL Prospect Tournament and Detroit Red Wings training camp were one of the most read sections of the site. With the help of an on-site contributor, Wuest provided statistical data on the participating teams and players along with exclusive box scores before the use of an online system was employed. Without his early efforts, the tournament would not have accurate historical statistical data or a complete list of tournament winners, spanning back to the inaugural tournament in 1998.

Wuest also contributed multiple articles to the Detroit Red Wings training camp programs, lending credibility to the publications with his knowledge of Detroit’s prospects.

Succumbing to a two-year battle with colon cancer, Wuest passed away in March 2015 at the age of 35. The Matthew Wuest Memorial Cup recognizes his significant behind-the-scenes contributions to the growth and development of the NHL Prospect Tournament, along with his overall impact on the hockey community.

http://www.centreice.org/page/show/4839 ... tournament" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SickMittsRomKnee wrote:The coolest part of this tournament. Man I miss CapGeek. RIP Matt.

Prospect Tournament trophy to honor Wuest

TRAVERSE CITY, Mich. – The Detroit Red Wings and training camp event organizers in Traverse City announced today that the trophy awarded to the champion of the NHL Prospect Tournament has been renamed the Matthew Wuest Memorial Cup. Matthew Wuest (pronounced WEEST) was best known for developing the website CapGeek.com, which tracked salary cap data for all 30 NHL teams in real time. The site was widely-used by scouts, general managers, media and fans before it ceased operations in January 2015.

Along with his work on CapGeek, Wuest also developed and maintained RedWingsCentral.com (RWC) which provided rankings, scouting profiles and features focused on Detroit Red Wings prospects. Launched in 2001, RWC became widely-read by scouts and fans alike before it shut down operations in 2014.

RWC’s exclusive coverage of the NHL Prospect Tournament and Detroit Red Wings training camp were one of the most read sections of the site. With the help of an on-site contributor, Wuest provided statistical data on the participating teams and players along with exclusive box scores before the use of an online system was employed. Without his early efforts, the tournament would not have accurate historical statistical data or a complete list of tournament winners, spanning back to the inaugural tournament in 1998.

Wuest also contributed multiple articles to the Detroit Red Wings training camp programs, lending credibility to the publications with his knowledge of Detroit’s prospects.

Succumbing to a two-year battle with colon cancer, Wuest passed away in March 2015 at the age of 35. The Matthew Wuest Memorial Cup recognizes his significant behind-the-scenes contributions to the growth and development of the NHL Prospect Tournament, along with his overall impact on the hockey community.

http://www.centreice.org/page/show/4839 ... tournament" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dude, Fantastic Post. +1 to you Sir.

T.C. wrote:
Fred Garvin wrote:Props to Colton Parayko being named the captain of the Blues team.

It just seems the sky is the limit for this kid. Homerun 3rd round pick. I'm excited to see him continue to develop and get him into big boy camp.
plus, his name sounds like a price is right game.
I like that he's changed his number for Training Camp to 55. It's like 44 only bigger.

The legend continues...

The player that intrigues me on this roster is Trent Fox. He's a sizable center (6'2" 195lbs) with a good two-way game, and a solid hockey IQ. He was a borderline draft prospect who put up solid numbers in his first year of juniors (33pts in 64gms), but has some skating concerns, that said, his other skills make him an interesting prospect.

He's got a Dmitrii Sergeev vibe to him, one of those prospects that slipped through the draft but shows NHL upside. And like Sergeev, if he shows promise, we could see him get a contract.

Hockey Pete wrote:The player that intrigues me on this roster is Trent Fox. He's a sizable center (6'2" 195lbs) with a good two-way game, and a solid hockey IQ. He was a borderline draft prospect who put up solid numbers in his first year of juniors (33pts in 64gms), but has some skating concerns, that said, his other skills make him an interesting prospect.

He's got a Dmitrii Sergeev vibe to him, one of those prospects that slipped through the draft but shows NHL upside. And like Sergeev, if he shows promise, we could see him get a contract.
I can't remember how the birthdays fall for draft eligibility, but it seems as if he's only played one season in the CHL. Won't he be going back into the draft next year?

MissouriMook wrote:
Hockey Pete wrote:The player that intrigues me on this roster is Trent Fox. He's a sizable center (6'2" 195lbs) with a good two-way game, and a solid hockey IQ. He was a borderline draft prospect who put up solid numbers in his first year of juniors (33pts in 64gms), but has some skating concerns, that said, his other skills make him an interesting prospect.

I can't remember how the birthdays fall for draft eligibility, but it seems as if he's only played one season in the CHL. Won't he be going back into the draft next year?
Yeah, he'll still be draft eligible next year (he just turned 18 a couple months ago)...IF he's not signed as a free agent this summer. If kids pass through the draft, they can be signed as free agents over the summer. If they're not (which most of them are not signed since just a few months ago no team even used a 7th rd pick on them), they simply become available for the next draft.

It was the same thing with Sergeev last year. He was only 18 and the Blues signed him after he impressed at Traverse City after passing through the 2014 draft. If the Blues (or any other team) hadn't signed him last summer, he would've been eligible for the 2015 draft.

There's a cool 3 minute video that goes with this. Hit the link at the bottom.

HAZELWOOD, Mo. - It’s kind of a wonder that Colton Parayko wasn’t selected by any of the 30 NHL teams during his first year of draft eligibility.

These days, the 6-foot-5 defenseman is pretty hard to miss.

Parayko first caught the Blues’ attention when he was playing for the Fort McMurray Oil Barons of the Alberta Junior Hockey League in 2012. Blues scouts would often watch him play in small, off-the-beaten-path towns to avoid drawing attention. They liked what they saw and eventually selected Parayko with a third-round pick (No. 86 overall) in 2012, his second year of eligibility.

Now, after three seasons of college hockey with the University of Alaska-Fairbanks, Parayko is ready to take the next step. The 22-year-old will be wearing the captain’s ‘C’ on Friday when the puck drops on the annual NHL Prospect Tournament in Traverse City.

“I’m going to approach Traverse City the same way whether I was a captain or not,” Parayko said. “I just want to go in, be myself and make sure I’m representing the Blues organization with pride and the right way.”

In other words, he’s just going to continue what he’s been doing. It’s worked. He accumulated 66 points (17 goals, 49 assists) in 104 collegiate games. In 2013-14, he was named a WCHA First Team All-Star and the League’s Defensive Player of the Year. In addition, he was chosen as an NCAA Second Team All-American.

He turned pro in March and joined the AHL’s Chicago Wolves, playing the final 17 regular season games and five more in the postseason. Blues Head Coach Ken Hitchcock lists Parayko among the Wolves’ best players down the stretch, and all of that adds up to him getting a hard look at training camp next week.

“What I like is the fact that he really put in the work this summer,” Hitchcock said. “He trained with the NHL guys, and you cheer for guys who put in such diligent time in trying to get to the next level. You can’t help but be impressed with the amount of work, determination and sacrifice he made to try to further his career quickly.”

“He’s a guy that’s put on 30 pounds since we drafted him,” said Tim Taylor, the Blues’ Director of Player Development. “In saying that, he’s dropped three or four percent body fat. He’s got great hands and agility and he closes gaps on the boards very quickly. He’s a guy we’ll see in the Blues’ lineup probably by the end of the year.”

Parayko classifies himself as a two-way defenseman, a guy who gets “the job done defensively” and likes to jump in the rush if there’s an opportunity. “Having a big body, I’m tough to get around and tough to play against,” he says.

As a native of St. Albert, Alberta, he hopes to join the long list of prominent NHL players who once played their junior hockey there. The list includes Jarome Iginla, Mark Messier, Mike Comrie, Dion Phaneuf and Drew Stafford, to name a few. But he knows he won’t get there without a good performance in Traverse City, where he’ll join Robby Fabbri, Ivan Barbashev, Jordan Schmaltz, Thomas Vannelli and other Blues prospects in a four-day tournament against some of the NHL’s brightest future stars.

“We have to bond together as a team and do the little things right,” he said. “It’s the start of the season, so everyone is coming off their summer break. We need to get into the swing of things as early as we can and pay attention to the details. If we can connect with our systems early on, we can take advantage teams just by being a tight-knit group.”

For his age, Parayko shows a lot of maturity, and that might give him a leg up on some of the competition in camp.

“He’s got great patience in his game. Patience with the puck, patience in positioning. That’s hockey sense,” Hitchcock said. “We want to see what he can do. Traverse City is the first step to earning a right to play exhibition games and make the team, but he looks like a guy that’s more than willing to take that step.

“We’re all excited and curious to see it.”

http://blues.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=7 ... L|STL|home

Looks like our big guns got most of the ice time since they were all in the minus category. Good to see Raddysh get some play time. He's a guy that definitely fits the Blues mold for dmen. Hopefully Erkamps gets to make an impression today.
I also see Stephen Johns got to stick it to the Hawks with a goal!
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"