Re: Scottie Upshall

He has been invited to The Blues' camp on a tryout basis. They'll look at him and Gomez before possibly signing one of them, as the 13th forward. With Berglund out, there's a strong possibility one of them will be signed at least until he's back.

Upshall could plug in at LW on the checking line. (Option) he can at least score a bit at even strength. Ott is terrible at even strength and has been for a while. I like his desire and tenacity but the guys best years are in the rear view mirror.

I'd rather have Upshall than Ott, but I can't see the Blues willingly eating Ott's contract this year while he plays for the Wolves. A team would have to be desperate for a cap hit to pick him up off waivers or in a trade at the start of the season.

bluetuned wrote:I'd rather have Upshall than Ott, but I can't see the Blues willingly eating Ott's contract this year while he plays for the Wolves. A team would have to be desperate for a cap hit to pick him up off waivers or in a trade at the start of the season.
Army said he wasn't beyond putting somebody on waivers.

I'd take Upshall or Gomez on the 4th line LW. Preferably Upshall.

bluetuned wrote:I'd rather have Upshall than Ott, but I can't see the Blues willingly eating Ott's contract this year while he plays for the Wolves. A team would have to be desperate for a cap hit to pick him up off waivers or in a trade at the start of the season.
Ultimately, it doesn't matter how much the guy in the press box makes versus the guy who replaced him in the lineup. I doubt both Gomez and Upshall make the team, but I think there is a good chance that one of them does. Once the 23 man roster is set, if Ott and his $2.6M sit in the press box while the $800K Upshall/Gomez plays it doesn't matter anymore than if Upshall/Gomez is in the pressbox and Ott is playing. Your team payroll is your team payroll, and you play your best 20.

ratonmono wrote:I like Upshall a lot. I'd love to have him over Ott. Actually I'd take him over Brouwer as well (never been a Brouwer fan at all).
Really? I find that surprising.

Admittedly I haven't seen a lot of Upshall. I'll watch some panthers games from last season.

What are some positives and negatives with Upshall?